General question about effects pedals!

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Let's use the Boss BD 2 as an example......when people say set the gain at 3, do they mean 3 o'clock or level 3? Same with the level and tone? Thanks, sorry for the silly question I just got my first 2 pedals.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Depends on the person giving the setting advice.
    Typically when I say 3, I mean number 3.
    When I 3:00, I mean 3-o'clock.
    I wish some people would be more specific myself.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks! That seems to be the same problem for me too. Sometimes in the same setting people will say set your level at 1 o'clock, your tone at 12 o'clock and your gain at 3. Do they mean set the gain at 3 o'clock as well or at level 3. That's where I get confused.
  • Jam10 wrote:
    Let's use the Boss BD 2 as an example......when people say set the gain at 3, do they mean 3 o'clock or level 3? Same with the level and tone? Thanks, sorry for the silly question I just got my first 2 pedals.

With effects pedals, when I say 3 I mean a level of 3. The confusion probably comes up with some amps that use clockface for settings. For example, all my recent Mesa amps do not have number settings on any of the dials. All the manuals use clockface settings, such as "set the gain somewhere between 2:30 and 3:00 o'clock. This always confuses me, because you have to remember they mean the little hand of the clock.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If the effect has knobs, I usually imply "o'clock" with it. Noon would mean straight up. Seems like most pedals have a range of about 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock, with 9, noon, and 3 being common settings for "low, medium, and high" of whatever effect/parameter you're talking about.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks, that clears things up for me!