I really need some advice..........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have got a 98 Les Paul Studio which is my first main guitar and I absolutely love the sound and the tone but I am not a big fan of the chunky neck and sticky neck and the weight of the LP. But like I said it's my first real guitar and I feel a connection with it and love the sound but the feel of it is not the best of all guitars I've felt. What should I do??????
I really want an American Strat or Tele one day very soon, so do you guys recommend I trade the LP for a Fender and then save up for a few years to get the Les Paul Classic 60's neck (thinner neck) which I prefer. Should I keep the LP Studio that I have now and then save up for an American Fender? Should I sand the neck on my Studio and have it suit my needs. Should I sell my Studio privately because you always make more money then trading it in and then buying a Fender with that money? I have played a few Strats the last week and absolutely love the way they feel but I don't want to regret selling the LP. I eventually want a LP Classic one day to.
My cheap practice guitar (which I play at work all the time) is an Epiphone Strat copy so I am used to that body style and have grown to like the feel of the thinner neck.
I just don't want to regret anything. I am playing live more often now and all these things are crossing my mind. Is comfort worth more then the tone of a LP????
What should I do? I know it's all up to me but I would really appreciate everyone's opinions.
Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    At the end of the day, it's up to you. We can only give you advice. It's ultimately your decision.

Personally, if that were my guitar, I would have got it with a 60's neck to begin with. But, if I ended up in your situation, I wouldn't sand it. Just keep using it, and the finish will eventually wear down a bit. I hated my Schecter C-1 Classic for about 6 months after I got it. Same deal with the neck. But, the more I used it, the less sticky the neck became and I got used to it. Give it some time, and THEN decide what you want to do.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I'd say keep the LP, save up for a fender. Then you have both, and when you want to get the classic just trade in the LP.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    never get rid of your first guitar.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    exhausted wrote:
    +1

Save up for the Fender. Then save up for another LP. It'll take a while but you won't have ANY regrets.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Keep the Lp, i felt the same about my Lp until a year down the line it just felt right after that, no way i would sell it now,just save up for the strat.
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
  • exhausted wrote:
    Theres also this.
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys. I agree with keeping the LP. I really do love it, it's just that the neck is pretty thick but I'll get used to it.
  • jcmark611jcmark611 Posts: 93
    With it being a 98 I would hope you have adjusted to it by now.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I sold a vintage P-bass years ago for peanuts and have regretted it every day since. If you love the guitar, keep it. You may find, in time, that your tastes change and you come back to it (if for nothing else, inspiration).
    I smile, but who am I kidding...