Can anyone recommend a good mastering engineer?

TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm wrapping up the final mixes in the studio on a 7 song EP and am looking to get this thing mastered. I've already got two places in mind, but just seeing what else is out there. Don't want to spend too much.. but am willing to go up to around $3,000. The music is a combination of rock, acoustic, experimental, groove...

thanks
Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Trailer wrote:
    I'm wrapping up the final mixes in the studio on a 7 song EP and am looking to get this thing mastered. I've already got two places in mind, but just seeing what else is out there. Don't want to spend too much.. but am willing to go up to around $3,000. The music is a combination of rock, acoustic, experimental, groove...

thanks

Are you willing to offer points as well?
  • Without doubt or a moment's hesitation:

http://www.goldenmastering.com/

These guys have mastered two albums that I recorded, and I was incredibly impressed both by what they did and what they didn't do. It wasn't too little, wasn't too much, it was perfect. And they're not exactly amateurs, even though they're pretty affordable. They're even in the sunshine state...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Are you willing to offer points as well?

depends... what or who do you have in mind?
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Without doubt or a moment's hesitation:

http://www.goldenmastering.com/

These guys have mastered two albums that I recorded, and I was incredibly impressed both by what they did and what they didn't do. It wasn't too little, wasn't too much, it was perfect. And they're not exactly amateurs, even though they're pretty affordable. They're even in the sunshine state...

Thanks man! I just checked it out.
    dude did Tales from the Punchbowl.. that's definitely a plus in my book :D
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I've used these guys in Atlanta a fair bit: click: Rodney Mills Masterhouse
    I know a ton of people that have used RMM (including PEARL JAM).
    I think I've mentioned Rodney Mills Masterhouse on here before.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I've used these guys in Atlanta a fair bit: click: Rodney Mills Masterhouse
    I know a ton of people that have used RMM (including PEARL JAM).
    I think I've mentioned Rodney Mills Masterhouse on here before.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

Very cool! Thanks Ian
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/gman_mastering.htm

for the layperson.

a little about mastering.

Where is Rodney Mills out of in Atlanta Ian? What studio or does he have his own shop?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/gman_mastering.htm

for the layperson. a little about mastering.

Where is Rodney Mills out of in Atlanta Ian? What studio or does he have his own shop?

Rodney Mills Masterhouse (he's in Duluth).
    He doesn't publish his address (for obvious reasons) because he works with some fairly big names (but you
    can call and get an address to send your mix). Here read this: http://rodneymills.com/contact/
    RMM has mastered thousands of projects for people/bands including: Pearl Jam (he did "Yield"), Rage Against
    the Machine, The Wallflowers, Patsy Cline, .38 Special, Collective Soul, Sheryl Crow, REM (just to name a few).
    My Friend Bob Langford (engineered/mixed, "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" for Lynyrd Skynyrd ) has
    worked with Rodney, and recommended him to me - RMM is very good at what they do.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Rodney Mills Masterhouse (he's in Duluth).
    He doesn't publish his address (for obvious reasons) because he works with some fairly big names (but you
    can call and get an address to send your mix). Here read this: http://rodneymills.com/contact/
    RMM has mastered thousands of projects for people/bands including: Pearl Jam (he did "Yield"), Rage Against
    the Machine, The Wallflowers, Patsy Cline, .38 Special, Collective Soul, Sheryl Crow, REM (just to name a few).
    My Friend Bob Langford (engineered/mixed, "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" for Lynyrd Skynyrd ) has
    worked with Rodney, and recommended him to me - RMM is very good at what they do.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

ah, good stuff. I knew the name and I've seen and heard his stuff all over. There are so many good talented musicians and engineers in this area. He's probably just a few miles down the road from me (I'm in Alpharetta now)

They have some plaques for Vitalogy and Yield in the front of Doppler because I think Brenden O Brian has a small office there I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.