o I got an acoustic for Christmas...

KFrost2008KFrost2008 Posts: 36
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have been playing around on it, but I am having problems spreading my fingers, especially my ring and pinky fingers. Is there any good remedy to this?

Also, are there any Books or DVD's you would recommend

Thanks and Peace, Kenneth
I can kill because in God I trust.

06/24/06-Cincinnati, OH-US Bank Arena
08/05/07-Chicago, IL-Grant Park(Lollapalooza)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • yes, there is a remedy: keep on playing.

It really is magical how your fingers will know how to perform after much repetition But first you need to have some direction.

I used this little book/DVD bundle here, VERY basic and easy to understand for beginners, and will have you playing cool easy progressions like The Beach Boys "Sloop John B." in no time, instead of mary had a little lamb.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Guitar-Lessons-Level-Book/dp/0976048744/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198883843&sr=8-1

Check it out, its worth it, and let me know how it works out. Good luck!
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Exactly, keep playing. Practice is the best way to get better and train your fingers.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Hah, I taught my best mate to play about 2 years ago, and I still remember how much he moaned and bitched about how hard it was for him to twist his fingers to simple chord positions.
    Now he does effortlessly ans can't even remember how hard it was.

So, don't sweat it, go at it in frequent short bursts and it will come in no time.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    We all went through it - Just keep practicing, you'll get it.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    The important thing is not to give up. Guitar isn't hard to learn, but it takes time. It's not entirely natural to put your fingers in the right places, so practise little and often and your fingers will learn eventually. Personally, it took me aaaaaaaaages to play a C comfortably, but after a month or so I managed it. :o
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Just keep playing, you'll get better.

I remember how hard it was to do a D chord or let alone an F chord. But now I fly through them.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)