Stringing Question

KFrost2008KFrost2008 Posts: 36
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-?sku=518600

I was wanting to know if I could string this guitar left handed...I have about 200 bucks and I want to learn to play, but there aren't any left handed beginner packs like that. If you have any better suggestions, please suggest.

Thanks, Kenneth

P.S. Although I would like to play electric, you could venture into bass or acoustic territory if it would be more cost effective.
I can kill because in God I trust.

06/24/06-Cincinnati, OH-US Bank Arena
08/05/07-Chicago, IL-Grant Park(Lollapalooza)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• svanzonsvanzon Posts: 28
    Hehe, Jimi Hendrix style.. I imagine you could, but I have no experience with it.. Just send MF an email asking em..

Then again, if you're even remotely sure that you will keep playing guitar for another while, I would stay away from starter packs to begin with and just get a lef handed MIN strat or something similar..
    13/06/2007 - Katowice, Poland

... may there be many more to come
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    The cost of this pack and getting someone who knows what they're doing to convert it to a lefty are definitely gonna put you over $200. The nut will need to be changed and the saddles on the bridge adjusted for intonation purposes. The previous sentence probably contained a bunch of terms you're unfamiliar with, which is why you'd need a pro to do it. Get yourself an acoustic to start with because you don't need an amp and it's much less offensive sounding when you're just starting out.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You could learn righty.
    The following is a list of Left-Handers who play Right-Handed:
    STEVE MORSE, MARK KNOPFLER, GARY MOORE, DUANE ALLMAN, JOHNNY WINTER, MICHAEL HEDGES,
    PAUL SIMON, CHRIS REA, BILLY CORGAN, DANNY GATTON, DAVID BOWIE, ELVIS COSTELLO
    . . .
    And there's a tone more - Here's a real list of them: CLICK HERE
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Add me to that list. I am left-handed normally but I play guitar right-handed.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    You could learn righty.
    STEVE MORSE, MARK KNOPFLER, GARY MOORE, DUANE ALLMAN, JOHNNY WINTER, MICHAEL HEDGES,
    . . .
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

THats pretty interesting. I did read once that Jeff Beck learnt to play left-handed to see if there was more creativity there, cos of Hendrix, but "there was no oil in that well"
    Music is not a competetion.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    You could learn righty.
    . . .
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Shouldn't Mike McCready be on that list. I know I've seen pics of him signing autographs left handed!
  • KFrost2008KFrost2008 Posts: 36
    Well, in all actuality I am right handed. However, I have cerebral palsy, and when my left hand is in a open position(for example typing or playing piano) it moves somewhat slowly. Now, while I know my left hand won't be quite as open when playing guitar, it will still be in a similar position. Alos I have goofed off on a few friend's guitars, and trust me, I wouldn't be able to play anything over about 80 BPM at that speed.
    I can kill because in God I trust.

06/24/06-Cincinnati, OH-US Bank Arena
    08/05/07-Chicago, IL-Grant Park(Lollapalooza)
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    sennin wrote:
    Shouldn't Mike McCready be on that list. I know I've seen pics of him signing autographs left handed!
    I think that's the only thing he does left though? Like my dad writes left handed, but plays guitar, throws, bats, etc... right.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    sennin wrote:
    I think that's the only thing he does left though? Like my dad writes left handed, but plays guitar, throws, bats, etc... right.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I'm actually right handed but picked up the guitar left handed. I bought a righty Strat and flipped it lefty because of Hendrix but found there's some downsides to this. My pick hand constantly turns the tone knobs (so I took em off) and it's very difficult to reach the higher frets due to the cutaway in the body being reversed. Other than that, it plays great. If your not worried about soloing on the high frets I wouldn't even worry. I'm pretty sure it cost me less than $50 to have it set up lefty. It's been a while though. Here's a pic: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/beav7/2007_0325guitars0008.jpg

I just painted the pickguard and pickups. They were white. I think it looks much better now:)
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)