Rhythm help.

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been using an online metronome to help improve my finger speed, but I want to use it practice rhythm. The problem is, I have a tempo in my head for my own songs, but I just can't find the right temp on the meternome to match. help in any way? And just basic tips to practicing rhythm guitar with a metronome.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A good starting point is to play the song without the metronome, and tap your foot to provide the tempo. Stop playing guitar, keep tapping your foot, and try to synch the metronome with your foot-tapping.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • What I did when I was learning was to practice downstrokes in 4, 4 to the bar, then do 2 down, 2 up, etc. Then, progress to faster rhythms and more up or down strokes, and mixing it up. That is an old jazz technique that worked for me.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Rhythm playing; remember that the guitar is just a big drum with strings, so
    try to think of it that way - if you can tap out the rhythm you can play the
    rhythm. first tap out the rhythm you want to play on the face of the guitar,
    then apply it to the strings of the guitar (try to strum right hand down, left
    hand up). there's also comping and playing in the pocket - it's just a more
    involved element of rhythm playing - deals with listening & filling empty space.
    (also from 9/25/08) http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=304331
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • No one else posted it so I will...

This might help:

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

You tap a key to a the tempo you want and it tells you the BPM. Then you can set your metronome to that BPM... I use a BOSS loop station to do the same thing, and find it a really useful practice/learning tool.