So I finaly got a tube amp...

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Its a fender blues jr, and it sounds great clean with just the guitar, but when I try to run it with a Big Muff and SD-9, it doesn't distort at all. The latter sounds more like a boost and Muff sounds all..."broken". My TS9DX sounds whimpered out compared to what it sounded like on my SS amp! Do I need a change of tubes? I purchased it off eBay, so I have no idea how old the tubes/amp is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    GOOD LUCK! It's a great amp and you'll be very pleased with it.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    It sounds great clean so far, warmer, but the tubes in the back look really dim when the amp is turned on. Is that a sign that I need new tubes? Its also not working well with my distortion pedals, when I read that the Blues Jrs are supposed to :(
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Its a fender blues jr, and it sounds great clean with just the guitar, but when I try to run it with a Big Muff and SD-9, it doesn't distort at all. The latter sounds more like a boost and Muff sounds all..."broken". My TS9DX sounds whimpered out compared to what it sounded like on my SS amp! Do I need a change of tubes? I purchased it off eBay, so I have no idea how old the tubes/amp is.

settings on the amp? the pedals? need more information.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Ah, I adjusted some treble and bass, and let it warm up and it was fine. It was just newbness to tube technology :)

Can anyone recommend me tubes for when I need to change? I've heard good about for EHX's tubes.
  • The majority of folks lean towards JJ's.

http://www.tubestore.com

http://www.tubedepot.com

Are some locations to find tubes gallore (descent priced).

Good luck on your new toy
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    for the record the Blues Jr is really a poor marriage for the Big Muff. They just don't play well toegther. The tone is rather fizzy unless you turn it up and really work with the controls.

Try turning down the treble on the amp and get some more bass in the mix as well as running the gain (sustain) low on the pedal and the volume higher up also lower the channel volume and raise the master.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    I have a couple of Blues Jrs have been a big fan of these amps for a long while. For distortion, I currently run an MXR Custom Shop GT-OD pedal into an MXR Distortion Plus M104. This makes for a perfect combo of light or heavy fuzz as needed. I prefer to stick to analog pedals, I stay away from digitals. Except for delay of course which is the only digital effect I use, and even that I barely use. This setup sounds great, but I don't play much Death Metal or anything, but for most anything else the MXR setup is ideal for me. I also use an MXR Dyna comp with Monte Allum mod> Boss DD6 > MXR Phase 90. i also recently got a Slash Crybaby (it adds even more distortion). This setup sounds F-ing awesome at any volume.

Since there is no standby, always let your amp warm up for a few minutes before you let it rip. this will keep the tubes alive longer. I turn the pots all the way down and let the tubes heat for about 5-10 min while I tune, get comfy etc.

You made an excellent choice, congrats!
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    for the record the Blues Jr is really a poor marriage for the Big Muff.

i'll agree with that.
    ;)

The Big Muff has problems with a LOT of amps, actualy.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?