How would you describe the color of this guitar?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Its an old Mike strat from the early 90's. I just love the color, and I haven't seen him use the color since, atleast in pictures I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ-ytIdJcZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOe3Sb_CKN4

Here, two versions of Alive, so you can see the guitar clearer during the solo. I love the color, but I can't quite describe it. It aint white, but it aint creamy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Its an old guitar, thats just what colour the old paint/nitro turns to over the years, so you could never actually buy a guitar that colour. Tak ea look at Yngwie Malmsteens guitar on fenders site, they try and replicate the used olympic white colour. Basically, buy an old guitar, or take the white one you have and take it to the smoking room of your towns best naturally lit tavern....

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    I'm getting the white strat anyways, but that color on Mike's guitar is just due to age?
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i just bought a new strat in shoreline gold and it is by far my favorite coor for a strat, cuz it looks like an aged whitish color, IMO
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    if you were to buy a new Strat in that color, it is called "vintage white". I just looked it up and found it on musicians friend, I forgot to copy/paste the link but it's not hard to find. I am not 100% sure, but I don't think that color aged from olympic white to that color because the coloration is too uniform throughout, just like Yngwie Malmsteen's Strat. so I imagine it was an available color for Strats (I have also seen Teles with that color) just like it is now and a separate color from "olympic white".

as for Shoreline Gold, I have had a Strat of that color for 10 years now. it looks like a light gray sparkle color, nothing like white.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    here you go:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/images/page=1/base_pid=511145

then click on to view all pictures and you'll see the vintage white one.
  • ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    It could be vintage white or artic white, but I'm fairly sure it's just an aged Olympic White.
    Don't think so . . . Take a look at these examples of Olympic White Guitars:
    Olympic White Fender Stratocaster from 1974. Now that has yellowed evenly.
    Or this Olympic White Stratocaster from the 60's
    And here's a 1962 Fender Strat in Olympic White This '62 looks a lot like Mikes.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Personally, I think it's an Arctic White. Olympic White is more of a true white, and Arctic white has a creamy, yellowish tint to it. For whatever that's worth...
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Personally, I think it's an Arctic White. Olympic White is more of a true white, and Arctic white has a creamy, yellowish tint to it. For whatever that's worth...

lets remember though, arctic white has only been around 10ish years...so the colour of mikes strat would have been olympic originally. Very doubtful it would have been white, fender didnt paint to many guitars plain white, except for a few years around the late 60's early 70's.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    So its an aged Olympic White?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Dogman3 wrote:
    So its an aged Olympic White?
    Sure looks to be - take a look at this 1962 Fender Stratocaster link that I posted.
    Looks a lot like Mikes Strat - and not even as beat up.

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    So damn, it takes a good 30 years to achieve that color?
  • probably a white guitar thats been exposed to years of cigarette smoke......my friends computer has a brownish tint to it
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    Kind of like how my Super Nintendo got that color over the years?