What pedals and effects does Mike use on Ten?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Specifically on Alive and Even Flow? I also like how in Black, the solo gets..."fuzzy" as the best I can describe it. You know the early McCready sound. What pedals did he use to achieve it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Sansamp calissic distortion, TS-9 Tube screamer, Rotovibe, and wah.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    What does the Sansamp do? Also, many of friends always tell me to get the Rotovibe and Tubescreamer. What do they do/sound like?
  • tube screamer=sound of tube amp
    im awesome
    Thanks! What othe pedals would help me achieve that "Pearl Jam"ish sound?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    But get the TS-9 tube screamer modified (like Mike) or it doesn't compare (most of the time I prefer my BD-2 because it's more tube like).
    However, Maxon has a great little pedal out now that I'm seriously looking at to replace my TS-9 click here: MAXON VOP-9
    Listen to it and you'll probably agree that the Maxon VOP-9 sounds better than the Ibanez TS-9 hands down.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • The rotovibe can give you that 'signature Mike solo-sound'. It also gives you a swirling noise. The Sansamp is a heavier distortion and better at being precise(sp?). Anyway, those and the wah are the TEN pedals, basically...and a volume but that's not needed.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    But get the TS-9 tube screamer modified (like Mike) or it doesn't compare (most of the time I prefer my BD-2 because it's more tube like).
    However, Maxon has a great little pedal out now that I'm seriously looking at to replace my TS-9 click here: MAXON VOP-9
    Listen to it and you'll probably agree that the Maxon VOP-9 sounds better than the Ibanez TS-9 hands down.

- Ian

I've been wanting to try those 5 or so new 9 series OD's since they were released.

Have you had a chance to try the OOD9 or the Soft Distortion?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I've been wanting to try those 5 or so new 9 series OD's since they were released.
    Have you had a chance to try the OOD9 or the Soft Distortion?
    No, I don't have a local dealer that has any of those in stock (but the organic is running the same JRC4558 IC Chip as the TS-9).
    I'd actually like to have more than just a drive controle (maybe it's just me but I'd like more tone controle).
    I know that Scott Henderson has said that he really likes the VOP-9, and after playing one, I agree (me too).
    I'd always heard people talk about Maxon, but I always thought they were just another Ibanez knockoff (not anymore).
    I hadn't tried one until recently, and now I know what all the hoopla is about.

- Ian
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    No, I don't have a local dealer that has any of those in stock (but the organic is running the same JRC4558 IC Chip as the TS-9).
    I'd actually like to have more than just a drive controle (maybe it's just me but I'd like more tone controle).
    I know that Scott Henderson has said that he really likes the VOP-9, and after playing one, I agree (me too).
    I'd always heard people talk about Maxon, but I always thought they were just another Ibanez knockoff (not anymore).
    I hadn't tried one until recently, and now I know what all the hoopla is about.

- Ian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxon

Maxon made all the famous older ones too they just re positioned the brand as higher end a few years ago. I think the same company owns Ibanez.

Godlyke distributes them in the US I know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Everyone is gonna tell you to get a TS-9 or a TS-808 and they're right, you should. But if you really want the early PJ sound, you've gotta get an SD-9. I think you'll find it saw a LOT of use in the early days.
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Everyone is gonna tell you to get a TS-9 or a TS-808 and they're right, you should. But if you really want the early PJ sound, you've gotta get an SD-9. I think you'll find it saw a LOT of use in the early days.
    Stone especially used this pedal. Good catch!
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    one of the guitar mags I once collected had a section in each issue that outlined and discribed all the guitar gods exact setups. could have been guitar world or something like that.
  • this is from like 1998, but it pretty similar to what he uses on ten, probably with a little more effects.
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/images/sfmm1098.gif
    im awesome
    Ah, ok. How much would a Tube Screamer and a Rotovibe cost? I've had a wah for a long time already
  • TS-9 $110
    Rotovibe $170

Look on ebay though.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • TS-9 $110
    Rotovibe $170

Look on ebay though.

I have a TS-5 and it works well. If you get the BOSS SD-1 and mod it, it sounds JUST like Stone's tone on TEN. I got my roto off ebay for a god price. I highly agree with GTC
    Mod it in what way/
  • Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    And don't forget Robert Keeley's Seeing Eye and Ultra Mod

Here's a link how to do it: Keeley Ultra/Seeing Eye Mod

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    The rotovibe can give you that 'signature Mike solo-sound'. It also gives you a swirling noise. The Sansamp is a heavier distortion and better at being precise(sp?). Anyway, those and the wah are the TEN pedals, basically...and a volume but that's not needed.

I got a Rotovibe today for Christmas :)

Its a real fun pedal, and I can easily recreate similae David Gilmour effects with it. But how does one get the "Signature Mike Solo-Sound?" with the rotovibe? Set it to Chorus or something? Toe or heel down?
  • Use the chorus setting. Have it in the "toe" position for the fast warble. FOr the slow one, have it on the heel position. Also, you can mod it. I'm posted the mod on here various times so if need me, I'll find it. It's an easy mod that you can change back too without any power tools or anything.
    What would the mod do?
  • Change the speed and overall depth of the chorus