Whats the difference between a Rotovibe and a Univibe?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm not sure which one to get.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Rotovibe is a combination of Chorus and Vibrato. A Univibe is just chorus. Also, the speed of the effect on the roto is controlled through a foot pedal while the univibe has the optional pedal but usually done with knobs. I have a rotovibe (moded) and it sounds great but the univibe and rotovibe were both used by Mr. Mike McCready. I'd say get a roto first and see how you like it.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Don't know about the small stereo version, but the large mono Dunlop Univibe allows you to choose between chorus and vibrato. They can't both be used at the same time, though. And, yes, the speed of each effect can be adjusted by an external rocker-pedal.
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Don't know about the small stereo version, but the large mono Dunlop Univibe allows you to choose between chorus and vibrato. They can't both be used at the same time, though. And, yes, the speed of each effect can be adjusted by an external rocker-pedal.
    Very true however, to rotovibe can ONLY use the rocker-pedal where as the uni allows you to choose.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Which one do I get then?
  • Depends what you want. The roto is cheaper and I love it. The uni is about $100 more but it is a tad more versatile.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Rotovibe is a combination of Chorus and Vibrato. A Univibe is just chorus. Also, the speed of the effect on the roto is controlled through a foot pedal while the univibe has the optional pedal but usually done with knobs. I have a rotovibe (moded) and it sounds great but the univibe and rotovibe were both used by Mr. Mike McCready. I'd say get a roto first and see how you like it.

Actually, both are both a chorus and a vibrato. (Dunlop also makes what they call the Univibe stereo chorus but it is not the same thing as a Univibe which still has the two modes) The Shin Ei Univibe originally was a group of 4 photo cells and a light bulb (among other things) with a reflective housing of some sort built to turn on and off to try and resemble the doppler effect sound that leslie speakers create when they spin. It was horrific at it's intended purpose. However, it was so bad, it was cool. It also had the Chorus or Vibrato option. It creates this deep swooshy ping pong phase sound. The Univibe was/is controlled by a speed treadle (looks like a wah) to obviously ramp up or down the speed of the sweep like you can with a Leslie speaker.

Jim Dunlop bought the rights to the Univibe along with MXR and several other companies and now produce versions of thier own which they continue to this day, though it is debatable how close they sound to the authentic versons.

The Rotovibe is one of those univibe variations. Both a chorus and a vibrato in a shiny red housing with a chrome top, the treadle controls speed, and there is a little red boost on the back. The sound is actually a little cleaner than a Univibe. It's not as swooshy.

With what Dunlop Charges for thier Univibe, I'd go elsewhere, there are about 10 or so builders of custom versions that are far closer to the original and they are about the same price.

Rotovibes can be had relatively cheap in the 100-140 dollar range and are plenty for most people. (plus they look really cool in fire engine red and chrome) I agree with you, I'd try a roto first.

Where did you get your mods done and what did they do?

oh and here is a pic of some of the originals. They also have the vibra chorus on the scene.

http://filters.muziq.be/model/shinei/univibe
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Where did you get your mods done and what did they do?

[/url]
    I totally forgot about the vibrato thing for a bit, thanks. As for the moding, I did it myself and all I did was make the depth deeper and slow the speed WAY down. I have the mod posted on this board somewhere. I got the idea from someone on harmony central. If you'd like, I'll dig through my email and send you a copy.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I totally forgot about the vibrato thing for a bit, thanks. As for the moding, I did it myself and all I did was make the depth deeper and slow the speed WAY down. I have the mod posted on this board somewhere. I got the idea from someone on harmony central. If you'd like, I'll dig through my email and send you a copy.

nice, the slow speed should make it more chewy I'd imagine along with the depth, more like a Univibe. Don't worry about it, if I manage to get one, then I'll come looking. sounds cool.

Thanks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.