Sansamp

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'd like something versatile, and I've heard alot of great things about it. Which Sansamp do I get? The Classic/Original or the GT2? If I go for the Original, do I get an older one or one that says "Classic"? I've noticed theres two different ones. Are they any different aside from the "Classic" title?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They're amazing pedals and if you do get one, the tech support is great. It all depends on what you're looking for though. I originally wanted to get one because Stone uses the Classic on "You Are".
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    I have the original as I need it for "You Are" in the No Code Pearl Jam tribute band where I play stone.

Yes it tackles the sound perfectly for the song, however I do not think it's really meant for a part of the pedalboard. It is AMAZING for recording in a studio though, very versatile on that aspect.

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the classic is more versatile, it uses a bank of slide switches but is also more complicated. The GT2 is designed to be more flexible and more easily used.

Personally I'd go with the original Sansamp if you must have one but it really dosen't matter they just changed the layout really.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Any differences between the two originals? Theres one that just says Sansamp, which I assume is older, and one that says "classic"
    Got an original Sansamp a couple days ago, and it really rocks. It really does make my amp act like a tube amp. With the vintage tube setting, I flick on the Tubescreamer and it really sounds the way its supposed to, all this on a solid state amp.

I didn't know it was this small either.
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    Got an original Sansamp a couple days ago, and it really rocks. It really does make my amp act like a tube amp. With the vintage tube setting, I flick on the Tubescreamer and it really sounds the way its supposed to, all this on a solid state amp.

I didn't know it was this small either.
    I was surprised how small it was along with how small the phase 90 is
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    The pictures I'd seen of it were close ups, so I expected something along the size of a Big Muff, or roughly around that size. It makes it even more awesome thats its so compact like that.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/faq.html#SansAmp

this should be added to this thread.

Some new great stuff from Tech 21. I'm not sure if they are built in NYC still or not, but the PSA-1 is also one of thier legendary processors.

Look around and have fun.

"The Technology

In 1989, B. Andrew Barta made his invention commercially available to players and studios around the world. SansAmp pioneered Tube Amplifier Emulation in professional applications for recording direct and performing live, and created an entirely new category of signal processing.

Over 10 years of research and development went into Tech 21's proprietary F.E.T. hybrid-based circuitry. Designed in the true tradition of tube amplifiers in their totality, SansAmp's 100% analog circuitry has a pre-amp stage and an output stage. It incorporates the harmonics and sweet overdrive characteristics uniquely inherent to tube amplifiers, which is largely caused by what is referred to as "push-pull" symmetrical clipping. While it is a common misconception, a single tube is physically incapable of producing this result. This is a feat that would normally require at least two tubes. Even at low volume, SansAmp captures the warm, rich, natural tones of a large variety of tube amplifiers, and does so without altering your instrument's individual personality.

Built-in speaker simulation is an integral part of the SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry. It is specifically engineered to yield a smooth, even response as would be achieved by a multiple-miked cabinet - without the peaks, valleys, and notches associated with single miking. Rather than interfere, the speaker simulation will actually complement the sound of your own speaker cabinets.

Another aspect of the technological advancement of SansAmp is that each model has a Universal Output (or output section). This feature allows SansAmp to be physically compatible with any application, so it can be used with full range (multi-track recorders, studio monitors, P.A. systems) as well as limited range systems (guitar or bass speaker cabinets).

From a vanload to a warehouse-full, SansAmp gives you the most coveted tube amp sounds and the ability to explore, refine and redefine your own. Each model responds to and interacts with the dynamics of your individual playing style, your individual musical style, and your instrument's individual tonality."

Look up Andrew Barta and you'll probably find some other interesting stuff.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.