Breath

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I love the song, and I can play it as best I can (it can be better though :P )

But how do I achieve this awesome sound? Its a certain "washed out" sound? Its like, the prevailing tone of the whole song. I dunno who does it, Stone or Mike. I think its Stone, because it goes with the basic riff and rhythm of Breath. I wish I could explain it better. I'd love to use that tone to expirement with my own songs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Ok, so i know it's just a riff on E and D, and the bridge is C#m, E, C#m, E, G#m, A, and i'm like you too, even playing it as best i can, it's like there is still something missing. Such a great song. Riffmeister Gossard at his best. I'm interested to see what others have to say about this too.
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    I love the song, and I can play it as best I can (it can be better though :P )

But how do I achieve this awesome sound? Its a certain "washed out" sound? Its like, the prevailing tone of the whole song. I dunno who does it, Stone or Mike. I think its Stone, because it goes with the basic riff and rhythm of Breath. I wish I could explain it better. I'd love to use that tone to expirement with my own songs.
    If you're talking about the effect, grab yourself a turbo tube screamer or be cheap like me and get the BOSS SD-1 off ebay. Mod it and then you'll get the effect.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Ok, so i know it's just a riff on E and D, and the bridge is C#m, E, C#m, E, G#m, A, and i'm like you too, even playing it as best i can, it's like there is still something missing. Such a great song. Riffmeister Gossard at his best. I'm interested to see what others have to say about this too.
    Gossard is the man! my favorite MUSICAL part of the song is the very first note (I know it's open) but how it fades in. Also Ed going "Oh oh oh oh" during the bridge. At the end of that segment and right before the "If I knew where it was...", Ament's bass fill is spectacular!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    well, I actually have a Tubro Tube Screamer. Got it a few weeks ago and still twiddling with it :)

How would I mod it? You know what effect/sound I'm talking about right? Its evident in the first three seconds of the song right off the bat.

"Gossard is the man! my favorite MUSICAL part of the song is the very first note (I know it's open) but how it fades in. Also Ed going "Oh oh oh oh" during the bridge. At the end of that segment and right before the "If I knew where it was...", Ament's bass fill is spectacular!"

The bridge is my favorite part of the whole song. Its amazing.
  • i think like so many other PJ songs, it's all about the tone of amp and pedal more than the guitar itself... and of course, it's all a feel thing. any guitarist on this message board can probably play "life wasted" with stone or mike's exact gear set up and it just wouldn't be same, ya know??