How do I make my own pedal board?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I seriously don't feel like porking over hundreds. I also only have four pedals, but I plan on getting more. Its also a pain to carry four pedals in a backup.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    head to your nearest hardware store.

1 piece of 1/2" thick or so MDF board. cut to the size you want.

industrial velcro (the stuff that's 2" wide). comes in a roll of 10 feet i think. sticks very well to the mdf. i've been using the same board for years, constantly changing pedals and it's never lifted.

2 cabinet handles of your choice. optional of course.

some sort of rubber feet (1 at each corner and at least 1 near the middle).

the velcro will be the most expensive part.

don't buy one of those laminated fake wood looking shelves. the velcro won't stick. i tried that recently in making a second board.
  • Hey, there have been a few threads about this on the board. There are some good ideas on those that talk about how to make one. (Don't wanna be an ass but I also don't wanna type a ton out. There are pics of my homemade one on there as well as others.)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Board + Velcro = Pedalboard -- Simple enough???
    Or do a search, many of us have posted our own builds.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v135/122/101/6415356/n6415356_33979439_944.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v135/122/101/6415356/n6415356_33979440_1224.jpg

Here's mine. Made with wood scraps I found here and there; the riser in the back has permanently mounted mono jacks on it (done with a drill and superglue) so all I have to do is put patches between the inside of the jack and the pedal, and just plug/unplug then guitar/amp cords from the outside and bam, instant mobile board. The riser in the back was my original pedalboard but I wound up with too many pedals to fit on it, so I just got a larger piece of wood, put the same fabric on top, a little staplegun action and viola, homemade pedalboard. I will probably upgrade later when I need yet -more- space, but for now it works fine.

Note: I haven't really velcro'd it because it pretty much stays in my room, but the theory is the same. Just take half the velcro, staplegun it down to your board, take the other half and cut pieces to fit the bottom of your pedals. You don't even need to cover the whole bottom of the pedal, just little strips should be fine.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Thanks guys. Also, since I don't feel like making another topic, which is better, the Fender Blender or Big Muff Pi for that good fuzz sound?
    you'll need to be more specific.

but i think the fender blender sounds like cats in a blender.
    Anything from the Stones "Satisfaction" kind of fuzz to the Pumpkins sound.
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    Pumpkins used the Flender
    Dogman3 wrote:

get a big muff pi. i'd recommend the current little big muff. it's more versatile. the fender blender is an octave up fuzz and that limits its applications.
  • exhausted wrote:
    get a big muff pi. i'd recommend the current little big muff. it's more versatile. the fender blender is an octave up fuzz and that limits its applications.
    True, I have one. You have no control, really over it.
  • True, I have one. You have no control, really over it.

i second that. im loving my new flender but if you just sustain one chord for more than a few seconds in modulates, fuzzes, bites...its mad!...but awesome

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    Would it make sense to get both really? A big muff and fender blender?
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    Would it make sense to get both really? A big muff and fender blender?
    Try them both is you can. Neither one is cheap. They are both very different pedals so if you really like fuzz, I'd get both. I like OD pedals and I have about 7 on my board. Each one serves a purpose.
  • i jammed along to 'i got shit' this aft using my flender and i got the neil young tone perfect for the solo.....i could have cried it was so nice!

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

• i jammed along to 'i got shit' this aft using my flender and i got the neil young tone perfect for the solo.....i could have cried it was so nice!
    ...WOW...good idea! I never even thought of using my Flender for it! What were your settings? I'm going to try it!
  • volume on 7, blend on 2/3 rd's on the way up, tone on high plus backed up with my amp's overdrive channel, reverb and DD6

is exciting!

• Yes!!! It Worked!