Whats the theory behind "Black"?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Mike solos over Dsus-C-Em, but he's using some sort of scale throughout in the Key of E I believe, but I'm unsure of what sort of scale it is. Help?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Black starts in the Key of A-Major/F#Minor and then modulates to E-Minor/G-Major.
    I believe Mike's solo is just played within the pentatonic scale of the modulated key.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Why and how does it modulate to E minor?
  • The verses are in A major, the chorus is in E minor. Mike solos over the chorus chords.
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Why and how does it modulate to E minor?
    Take a look at the music - The tune switches keys in the chorus (it goes from 3-sharps in the verse to 1-sharp in the chorus).
    And with a little music theory, you know that 3#'s = A.Major (or it's relative F#Minor) AND 1# = E.Minor (or it's relative G.Major).
    You can pretty much modulate a key down by removing sharps (or flats) without it sounding to abrasive - but it's modulating the
    key up that might not sit well with some listeners (adding a sharp or two when there wasn't one sometimes sounds disagreeable).
    Corroborating this as you see, some people didn't even know that the key had changed at all :)
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I get it. But say I don't have sheet music to determine the amount of sharps, and whatnot. Than how would I determine what to solo?
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    Its just the E pentatonic scale:

12--15----
    12---14

12---14

12---14

12---14
    -12---15

With some minor notes in their, all based around the riff:
    ---12--13--15---13---12--13--12

Which means you can throw in some minor notes like:
    --12-14-15

12-13-15

11-12-14----

2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I get it. But say I don't have sheet music to determine the amount of sharps, and whatnot. Than how would I determine what to solo?
    I typically use Ionian (Major) or Aeolian (Minor) MODES to figure out my key if I don't have the notation.
    You've got 12 places to try since there are 12 total notes in music (including all the sharps/flats). Just
    work your way up the fretboard playing either Major/Minor MODE until you find a place that works well.
    It may take you a few times around to actually find the place that works the best - then of coarse you
    can just blues/pentatonic it out - Here you go: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/Scales--Modes-Diagrams-Fingerings.jpg