Whats with Mike's recent LP love affair?

Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
It seems thats all he plays with now and its sad. Alive sounds off with a Les Paul toned solo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    His ear has matured . . .
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    songs like alive, evenflow and black should ALWAYS be played by his sunburst strat imo

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    Pappas wrote:
    songs like alive, evenflow and black should ALWAYS be played by his sunburst strat imo

Agreed!
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    It seems thats all he plays with now and its sad. Alive sounds off with a Les Paul toned solo.

Maybe his back is feeling good, so he is up for the added weight of the Paul!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,847
    Maybe his back is feeling good, so he is up for the added weight of the Paul!

Could be. For the short tours he plays the Les Paul since he thinks it sounds better and on the long tours he uses the Strat so he isn't as sore (this is probably wrong, but a guess). Maybe he just wants to mix it up. It seems like Stone is always changing the guitars he uses for every tour.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Yeh it looks like Stone is using Strats more often and Mike is using LP's more often. The beauty of being a rock star......you can play any guitar anytime you want! I personally love the sound of both Lp's and Strats.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Dogman3 wrote:

he's balancing out Stone's recent Stat obsession.

Stone playing Alive and EF on a strat in Columbia was downright disgraceful.

;)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Pappas wrote:
    and Ledbetter
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Pappas wrote:
    damn straight.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Werl, it's like this kiddies.

He has a genuine 1959 Les Paul burst. These things are widely regarded as the absolute gold standard for guitar tone.
    When you play a nice LP, it just gives you things effortlessly, that you either fight to get from anything else, or you don't get at all. The tone is substantially different to a Strat and IMHO, an LP is much more reactive wiht the amp.
    There is a subjective pleasure to this that is easily experienced, and impossible to explain.
    Need proof ??
    Well, there is MIke up there preferring his LP to his Strat.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well, he has one less LP after the Who Rock Honors show

its funny, in the Ten liner notes it says "stone gossard plays gibson guitars, mike mccready plays fender guitars"....i guess at that time it was somewhat set in stone (pun intended)......now they mix it up, if anything now stone has basically become a total strat player
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:

its funny, in the Ten liner notes it says "stone gossard plays gibson guitars, mike mccready plays fender guitars"....i guess at that time it was somewhat set in stone (pun intended)......now they mix it up, if anything now stone has basically become a total strat player
    Especially with those Fishman's...
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    and Ledbetter

Wrong. I don't mind older songs on the LP, such as EF and Alive, but Ledbetter? Thats like, a tribute to Hendrix. Strat is essential for the Ledbetter.

I just wish I had the dough for a LP though. But I don't, hence why I'm a Strat guy. Not that its a bad thing. If I had cash like Stone and Mike, I'd have LP's, SG's, and whatnot too. I did notice on the last tour that Stone was using more Fenders than usual. So you're right, it does balance out :)
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Wrong. I don't mind older songs on the LP, such as EF and Alive, but Ledbetter? Thats like, a tribute to Hendrix. Strat is essential for the Ledbetter.

I just wish I had the dough for a LP though. But I don't, hence why I'm a Strat guy. Not that its a bad thing. If I had cash like Stone and Mike, I'd have LP's, SG's, and whatnot too. I did notice on the last tour that Stone was using more Fenders than usual. So you're right, it does balance out :)
    I meant Ledbetter should only be played on the strat... :)
    whoops sorry i forgot to mention ledbedder. yes of course that should be strat only too :D

i dont think mike would ever play that with anything but a strat anyway. same with evenflow and black, as both are his 'tributes' to the great stevie ray vaughan!

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    StuffnJunk wrote:

According to some dude on the main board who talked to Mike this week, that LP he busted on VH1 actually belonged to Stone ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    Pappas wrote:
    whoops sorry i forgot to mention ledbedder. yes of course that should be strat only too :D

i dont think mike would ever play that with anything but a strat anyway. same with evenflow and black, as both are his 'tributes' to the great stevie ray vaughan!
    Black was played on a tele during a recent (past couple years) show. There's a video of Ledbetter being played on an LP that was discussed earlier. Nothing known on other than a strat on Evenflow.
    Black was played on a tele during a recent (past couple years) show. There's a video of Ledbetter being played on an LP that was discussed earlier. Nothing known on other than a strat on Evenflow.
    mikes strat must have been in the shop :p

www.myspace.com/pappas99
    Hey, Mike helped write these tunes, so he can bloody well use whatever guitars he
    wants to express the tunes (in whatever way he deems fit).

There are no set rules, so why should anyone be asked to limited themselves to only one
    tonal pallet (to suit "your" idea of what sounds best to you
    or me or him or her, etc, etc . . .).

It doesn't matter. The band as a whole is basically playing whatever they think sounds best
    to them at that moment (not you) - remember that one's ear matures over time. Remember
    that they're the ones playing the tune, and overall what we think is fairly insignificant.

If you don't like how he played it - go play it that way yourself - see if you get the crowd
    they have - they play what they want because the overall majority of people don’t care,
    they're just happy to be at a PJ show.

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Hey, Mike helped write these tunes, so he can bloody well use whatever guitars he
    wants to express the tunes (in whatever way he deems fit).

There are no set rules, so why should anyone be asked to limited themselves to only one
    tonal pallet (to suit "your" idea of what sounds best to you
    or me or him or her, etc, etc . . .).

It doesn't matter. The band as a whole is basically playing whatever they think sounds best
    to them at that moment (not you) - remember that one's ear matures over time. Remember
    that they're the ones playing the tune, and overall what we think is fairly insignificant.

If you don't like how he played it - go play it that way yourself - see if you get the crowd
    they have - they play what they want because the overall majority of people don’t care,
    they're just happy to be at a PJ show.

- Ian
    Cool down, man...it's a matter of opinion and how we like it. There's no doubt is sounds AMAZING either way... No one is bashing Mike or questioning his artistic ideas.
    Cool down, man...it's a matter of opinion and how we like it. There's no doubt is sounds AMAZING either way... No one is bashing Mike or questioning his artistic ideas.
    Naaa, I'm cool - I wasn't mad at all (there are no exclamation points or angry faces).
    I was just matter-of-fact - it's Mikes tune and he can play it how he wants . . .
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Naaa, I'm cool - I wasn't mad at all (there are no exclamation points or angry faces).
    I was just matter-of-fact - it's Mikes tune and he can play it how he wants . . .
    haha, all right man :)
  • jcmark611jcmark611 Posts: 93
    Except playing Yellow Ledbetter on a Les Paul will make Jimi and Stevie roll in their graves.
    jcmark611 wrote:
    Except playing Yellow Ledbetter on a Les Paul will make Jimi and Stevie roll in their graves.
    Jimi Hendrix also played a Les Paul, an SG, and Flying V . . .
  • PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
    I kind of agree with ian, this is pointless to even discuss really. Everyones ear is gonna hear stuff differently anyways. So it is possible that what sounds phenominal to you might just be middle of the road to someone else. But at the end of the day its their choice, and who are we to be like ( It should only be played on this. Or only played like this. Because thats the way i like it). How bout how they like it? But then again thats why we all come here, cause we aint got anything better to do. So why not question it? Just keep in mind its a friendly discussion, I though ian seemed a bit testy myself
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Jimi Hendrix also played a Les Paul, an SG, and Flying V . . .
    Did he record Little Wong with an LP or a white SG?
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    here's a thread i started a while back - a video of mike playing yellow ledbetter on a gibson hollowbody

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=286503&highlight=mike+ledbetter+strat
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    PJim87 wrote:
    I kind of agree with ian, this is pointless to even discuss really. Everyones ear is gonna hear stuff differently anyways. So it is possible that what sounds phenominal to you might just be middle of the road to someone else. But at the end of the day its their choice, and who are we to be like ( It should only be played on this. Or only played like this. Because thats the way i like it). How bout how they like it? But then again thats why we all come here, cause we aint got anything better to do. So why not question it? Just keep in mind its a friendly discussion, I though ian seemed a bit testy myself
    Sorry if I sounded a bit "testy" - I think it just came out that way (as I've said before, I'm not known for being the most tactful person - especially when I keep reading how certain songs should only be played with certain guitars) - but for the record, no my post wasn't meant to sound incensed.
    Did he record Little Wong with an LP or a white SG?
    Strat, though he played the tune with all four (Strat, LP, SG, and V).
    Hendrix seemed to use Gibson's later in his career (most likely because he liked the set necks resonance and sustain, and the fullness/thickness of the humbuckers).
    Hendrix with LP: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3865/1712/1600/111jimihendrix.gif
    Hendrix with V: http://www.classicvintageguitars.com/link-library/link-library/files/jimi_hendrix.jpg
    Hendrix with SG: http://www.joetheguitarman.com/Hendrix%20SG.jpg
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Sorry if I sounded a bit "testy" - I think it just came out that way (as I've said before, I'm not known for being the most tactful person - especially when I keep reading how certain songs should only be played with certain guitars) - but for the record, no my post wasn't meant to sound incensed.

Strat, though he played the tune in with all four (Strat, LP, SG, and V). Hendrix seemed to use Gibson's later in his career (most likely because he liked the set necks resonance and sustain, and the fullness/thickness of the humbuckers).
    Hendrix with LP: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3865/1712/1600/111jimihendrix.gif
    Hendrix with V: http://www.classicvintageguitars.com/link-library/link-library/files/jimi_hendrix.jpg
    Hendrix with SG: http://www.joetheguitarman.com/Hendrix%20SG.jpg

Those are really cool pics of Hendrix. Thanks for sharing Ian!
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    yeah its cool, we're just being annoying elitists :p

www.myspace.com/pappas99