Birthday Guitar! Help Me Choose :d:d:d

SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is the main one i got my eye on:

52 Vintage Telecaster

Potentially this (But it has a humbucker, which aint good for a Tele as far as i'm aware)

Vintage Hot Rod 52 Tele

If i move towards Strats:

Vintage Hot Rod 57 Strat

This is the website: (I'd like to use this one as it's in the UK, and reliable)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/electric_guitars.html?sid=051454244db611f13a73cb76d96bc93f

Help me pick some fun-ness!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Well, my current axe is an American Series Strat, which I prefer over the '62 reissue and the Deluxe. It's an awesome guitar, and I would reccomend it to anyone. I'm not a fan of humbuckers in Strats.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    I guess that hotrod one has humbuckers then?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    don't knock the neck humbucker tele. It's worth a shot. Nice and versatile. Great U shape necks I believe.

My choice would be the AV 52 in butterscotch blonde with the black guard. Classic, and awesome.

In addition, if you can find an esquire, try that one out too.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=9275000477
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    If it were me choosing a guitar (and i wish it was), I'd get the vintage 52 hot rod tele. Same awesome look as the 52RI but that humbucker adds versatility. Plus there's the unique-factor too. Example: You're playing a gig and someone walks into the bar/wherever and says "Oh a 52 reissue. I've seen a lot of those... WAIT! Is that a humbucker on that???" It's better to stand out. But yeah anyway... if you see yourself using the normal neck pickup on a tele a lot, the humbucker might not be the best for you.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    If it were me choosing a guitar (and i wish it was), I'd get the vintage 52 hot rod tele. Same awesome look as the 52RI but that humbucker adds versatility. Plus there's the unique-factor too. Example: You're playing a gig and someone walks into the bar/wherever and says "Oh a 52 reissue. I've seen a lot of those... WAIT! Is that a humbucker on that???" It's better to stand out. But yeah anyway... if you see yourself using the normal neck pickup on a tele a lot, the humbucker might not be the best for you.
    Hahaha, ya, I wish I was unique. Unfortanatley, I'm a sucker for Strats.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    forget those, ge a hamer! :)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Or you could try someting completly different, there are other comapnies out there.....

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/vibe.html
    Music is not a competetion.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I'm not much for a humbucker in the neck position on a tele, bit a mini-humbucker is something else entirely. They're closer to a P-90 but they're quiet. I say get the Hot Rod.
    What about the American Deluxe Series over the Vintage series, are they worth taking a look at?
    I prefer the Am. Deluxe over the vintage, but prefer the American Series over the American Deluxe (I was in this same situation 2 weeks ago, and came out with an American Series). In my mind, the American Series sounds better.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I tend to agree, nothing sounds better than the American Series (Delta Tone?) Tele pickups. I've been caught up in the hype and bought Custom Shop Nocasters and Kinman aVn sets but I've always ended up swapping them back. Some (like Fralin, Anderson, Lollar, etc.) are just as good but none are better. Kinman makes the best noiseless pickups - bar none - but they don't sound as good as the stock Am. Series pickups, that is fact. I say this presuming they're still using the same pickups as they were in '98, otherwise, disregard all that.
    I prefer the Am. Deluxe over the vintage, but prefer the American Series over the American Deluxe (I was in this same situation 2 weeks ago, and came out with an American Series). In my mind, the American Series sounds better.

Care to elaborate? Generally, with guitars, you get what you pay for, and from what i've seen, cheapest to most expensive is; American, American Del, Vintage. I guess Vintage are reissues, and therefore the deluxe is 'new' and could be better, but surely deluxes are better than 'standard' Americans?
    Switch wrote:
    Care to elaborate? Generally, with guitars, you get what you pay for, and from what i've seen, cheapest to most expensive is; American, American Del, Vintage. I guess Vintage are reissues, and therefore the deluxe is 'new' and could be better, but surely deluxes are better than 'standard' Americans?
    In my opinion, no. The deluxes are DIFFERENT with more expensive hardware (locking tuners, scn switching, and noiseless pickups). The noiseless pickups are noiseless, but don't sound as good as the regular pickups IMO. Again, I walked into the store to buy an American Deluxe and bought an American, because it sounded better. So, you do get what you pay for with the upgraded hardware and such, but I don't think it matches up in the sound department. Feel free to ask any more questions.
    So, essentially:

American Series: 'Basic' 2007 issue guitar
    Deluxe Series: 'Basic' 2007 guitar with higher quality hardware
    Vintage Series: Reissues (Exact copies of the model at time in question ie 1952)

Am i right?
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Switch wrote:
    So, essentially:

American Series: 'Basic' 2007 issue guitar
    Deluxe Series: 'Basic' 2007 guitar with higher quality hardware
    Vintage Series: Reissues (Exact copies of the model at time in question ie 1952)

Am i right?

Yeah that's pretty much it. In addition to the higher quality hardware, there maybe some feature such as the Ash body versions and the S-1 switching system. I like what Keeponrockin said.... not better but different.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I love single coil tones but the hum drives me NUTS sometimes. I'd probably go with the SCNs and the Deluxe if I was making the choice.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    I love single coil tones but the hum drives me NUTS sometimes. I'd probably go with the SCNs and the Deluxe if I was making the choice.
    Ya, but IMO the regulars SOUND better.