Anyone else got the offical Ten tab books?

SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just recently got the official Ten tab/music books, both for bass and guitar. And what can i say?

I'm really appalled.

The two books aren't synchronised, in particular, Once was awful at the beginning. Various rests were incorrect, notably in Even Flow intro. The Coda was printed wrong missing out half of the final chorus for the bass in Even Flow. The guitar tab for Even Flow, mainly throughout the first and second verses, are painfully incorrect at a few points, and the fills (The few parts in the second verse were there is what could equate to a mini solo) are, according to the book, played alternatively between guitar 1 and guitar 2, and whilst i cannot be sure of this, whilst listening to the actual song one guitar track is played out the right, and the other out the left. From what i can tell, all the fills, and the solo, are played from the guitar track on the right, which would make it all from one guitar (Presumably McCready).

And i haven't even gotten around to looking through the other songs yet. It kinda feels like nitpicking, but expect the music to be correct, as i did pay for a music book.

Anyone else have these books and were disappointed?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Meh, I didn't find that many problems with the book, although Even Flow is just so wrong there's no point in even looking at it.
  • http://www.giventowail.com

free and correct!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Yeh i know of GTW, it's just i use Guitar Pro to make sure i get the stuff right (As i can play the single track back and hear it correctly) but GTW only lists tab, not music notation.

But i have to say, i'm thoroughly disappointed with these books. I would have expected the band to have tabbed the songs correctly, or at least checked through them before being published, because as you said, Even Flow isn't even close.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Some of the book is good - some isn't so good.
    I got my PJ book back in '92 - I didn't know that they released another version.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Switch wrote:
    Yeh i know of GTW, it's just i use Guitar Pro to make sure i get the stuff right (As i can play the single track back and hear it correctly) but GTW only lists tab, not music notation.

But i have to say, i'm thoroughly disappointed with these books. I would have expected the band to have tabbed the songs correctly, or at least checked through them before being published, because as you said, Even Flow isn't even close.

YOu are right, it's not that hard to get these things right. Ten was published a while ago, in teh early days of published tab, and Even Flow has bee trasposed to E, rather than being done in D as it was recoreded. HAving said that, the atb is corerct pretty much for E.

It probably has a lot to do with licensing and publishing agreements, or more's teh point, disagreements.
    Alive is OK, as is Jeremy, and Black. Release main riff is correct, no lyrics, and I find the chorus too hard to follow, I just play a Dsus2, Bm7, C progression.
    I use a combination of GTW and that book. I prefer teh LOTL Black solo. There is another couple of songs available on http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com Dissident, Daughter, which are correct, and good quality , well laid out tabs.
    Apart from that, teh new GTW layout is much easier to follow, with the lyrics in there to help follow the arrangements, and a scrolling function.
    Still no treble staff though, so lots of ear work still needed.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    The haromics are wrong for Jeremy on most sites AND the TEN club site.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • There are errors all over the place and Even Flow is shit.

http://www.giventowail.com for sure.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    Switch wrote:

You bring up a good point... I'd love to include GP files on the site as an alternative to tab but a) I don't have any and b) I don't have the time to make any =)
    rickp wrote:
    You bring up a good point... I'd love to include GP files on the site as an alternative to tab but a) I don't have any and b) I don't have the time to make any =)

I'd pay for those, trouble is, sooner or later the PJ lawyers would come down on you. HAve you given any more thought to collarorating with the band on a published version of the work on GTW. ?? It really is such a valuable body of worrk together, the songs and the transcriptions, and a published box set would be a wonderful thing to have.
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    You guys really that hell bent on GTW? I just checked the Once tab, and
    it doesn't sound right at all. In fact, i agree with the tab book in this case.

And half the links on GTW link to a different song than the link said it would. Not my week is it?

And i had the time to make GP tabs. In fact i spent two pissing days putting the two guitar and bass tracks into the damn thing before realising they sucked.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Some of the book is good - some isn't so good.
    I got my PJ book back in '92 - I didn't know that they released another version.

I'm pretty sure this is the same one tbh. I seriously doubt they would have released a different one, that was wrong.
  • Switch wrote:

And half the links on GTW link to a different song than the link said it would. Not my week is it?

And i had the time to make GP tabs. In fact i spent two pissing days putting the two guitar and bass tracks into the damn thing before realising they sucked.

I'm pretty sure this is the same one tbh. I seriously doubt they would have released a different one, that was wrong.
    I dunno what you're talking about. I just took a look at GTW's "Once" and it's exactly as I remember playing it (correctly). And if I'm not mistaken the Ten tab book completely fucks up the main riff .. I haven't even picked up the damn thing since I found GTW.

As for the links, the site is newly renovated so give him time to straighten things out ;)

"Make our day"
    Switch wrote:

I doubt 264 links are wrong..

This is the kind of thing that bugs the shit out of me sometimes. People will always have their comments about GTW like "this doesn't work" or "this sounds wrong" or "why don't you update this" but never really offer anything of substance to help it out. No one else is doing a site like this. If links are pointed to the wrong tab, tell me. Don't just use it to try and support a soap box.

And if you think a tab is wrong, correct it. And more specifically, if you think Once is wrong, make sure you know how to tune your guitar and actually follow the tab.
  • lets remember, pearl jam didn't produce the Ten tab book. because ten was the most "un-owned" material in pearl jams catalouge, publishers could easily get there hands on it for a price that Epic would decide on. So whoever's name is in the book is responsible, having said that, they did a good job considering they were listening to tapes and writing it down while playing, they didnt have the fancy stuff we do today.....nothing beats busting out an old chord book though...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    rickp wrote:

This is the kind of thing that bugs the shit out of me sometimes. People will always have their comments about GTW like "this doesn't work" or "this sounds wrong" or "why don't you update this" but never really offer anything of substance to help it out. No one else is doing a site like this. If links are pointed to the wrong tab, tell me. Don't just use it to try and support a soap box.

And if you think a tab is wrong, correct it. And more specifically, if you think Once is wrong, make sure you know how to tune your guitar and actually follow the tab.

Can't believe this guy is hacking on GTW. It's the ONLY site on the net where I actually bother with tabs from. IMHO, when guys say these tabs are wrong, they are just not followint them corectly, or are so used to playnig it wrong that they can't plaay it right.
    I've heard the Metallica books described as retarded as well, but if you actually play it as tabbed, they turn out to be right ( OK, there are ine or two errors, mainly to do with note losition rather than correct note).
  • Can't believe this guy is hacking on GTW. It's the ONLY site on the net where I actually bother with tabs from. IMHO, when guys say these tabs are wrong, they are just not followint them corectly, or are so used to playnig it wrong that they can't plaay it right.
    I've heard the Metallica books described as retarded as well, but if you actually play it as tabbed, they turn out to be right ( OK, there are ine or two errors, mainly to do with note losition rather than correct note).
    exactly! (and 'once' is not wrong :p )

"Make our day"
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I think we should take this time to THANK RICK and the GTW staff for taking the time and effort to put up a site that is amazing. Not only does it have tabs, BUT it has a kick ASS gear section...what other sites do that (with actual pictures rather than just mapped out rigs)? Seriously, thanks for doing that. With that said, there might be something wrong with the links or a wrong tab here or there but keep in mind the site JUST got reopened. The tab books might be wrong or they might be right but at least you have the general idea so you can FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN!!!!! It's a great concept :)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Switch wrote:

Hell bent on GTW because it is the best place to go for tabs. By a mile. I just took a look at the 'Once' tab and it's spot on so not sure what you are on about there. Also a lot of work has been done to get the site back up and running so there may be a few links that are incorrect but no way would there be half. There's a thread in the Site news and Updates that you can post in, if you come across any of the tabs that are not linked correctly. There's more than likely going to be a few because of the sheer number that we have access to. If people don't speak up and let the owner of the Site know somethings not right when they come across it, then it's not going to get fixed.

Seriously, the dude that runs GTW puts in a shit load of effort for people like us, with not a lot of thanks. The tabs there are the most accurate and up to date you will ever find. We don't know how lucky we are.
  • Yeah, Rick is about the greatest person on this forum. We got you a sticky man :)

"Make our day"
    Yeah, Rick is about the greatest person on this forum. We got you a sticky man :)

haha.. that took long enough too! =)

Really.. there isn't much need for thanks. This is about the site and it can always use anyone's input as it wouldn't have happened without lots of other people being involved throughout the years.
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    rickp wrote:

I for one love GTW! I think its totally awesome and have no complaints at all. It was great before and now its off the charts!! Thanks!
    Be excellent to each other
  • Switch wrote:
    and the fills (The few parts in the second verse were there is what could equate to a mini solo) are, according to the book, played alternatively between guitar 1 and guitar 2, and whilst i cannot be sure of this, whilst listening to the actual song one guitar track is played out the right, and the other out the left. From what i can tell, all the fills, and the solo, are played from the guitar track on the right, which would make it all from one guitar (Presumably McCready).
    ?

On the Ten version, those little solo dealys do switch off between eachother. If you listen to it through headphones, it's easier to tell but when you listen to the guitar that is playing the main riff, you can tell that Mike is playing it, then Stone will the next time. I don't know if that's how they played it in the studio, it may have just been mixed that way, because it's always just Mike on lead when they play live.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • On the Ten version, those little solo dealys do switch off between eachother. If you listen to it through headphones, it's easier to tell but when you listen to the guitar that is playing the main riff, you can tell that Mike is playing it, then Stone will the next time. I don't know if that's how they played it in the studio, it may have just been mixed that way, because it's always just Mike on lead when they play live.
    I'm probably just going crazy but I think I remember them switching off in the early early days.

"Make our day"