Overdrive and Distortion: What's the difference?

SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've just realised i have no clue about the differences between these two terms. Can someone care to explain?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I wouldn't be able to explain it technically as well as others here so I'll leave that to them...

but generally:

Distortion = crunch

OD = Gain and maybe a little crunch.

So an overdrive is much milder, more subtle. I build my tone with OD (tubescreamer hell yeah :cool: ) and use dist. when nessecary.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    JUst different degrees of the same thing.
    When a signal is amplified, the primary note is mainly heard. As you amplify louder and louder, you hear more and more of the harmonic notes, making the sound more and more complex. This can occur at either the pre-amp stage or the power amp stage, usually a combination of both.

There is no hard point at which OD becomes crunch which becomes distortion. It a continuum.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    "Effectively none.
    Overdriving an amplifier creates distortion, so really it's the same thing for the most part.
    The guitar world has simply adopted the word overdrive to describe a soft distortion or to
    describe a pre-amp that "overdrives" the input of your main amp, which in turn causes more
    distortion in your main amp, which brings us back to them being the same thing again.

"Overdrive" started as what you got when you put too large a signal into the input of an amp,
    causing the signal to be distorted at the speaker. You were "overdriving" the inputs.
    "Distortion" is the more generic term, and started when folks noticed that you could get a distorted
    sound from a little solid state amp that was VERY nonlinear. The terms have been used so
    interchangeably that there is no real difference.

Boss and Ibanez seemed to define this difference with their pedals. The Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
    and Ibanez TS-9 Tube screamer "overdrives" are a smoother, less harsh sound than say the
    DS-1, MT-2, and SD-9 distortions. The distortion pedals add more crunchy, gritty sound, whereas
    the overdrives add more smoothness and not as much distorted crunch."
    Hope this helps clear it up a little bit - but probably not.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    That does pretty much clear it up.

So essentially, they are the same thing in technical terms, but are used to describe the two 'extremes' of the distorted sound. Overdrive for the lower and distortion for the higher.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    od, dist, fuzz, in that order
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • od, dist, fuzz, in that order
    And if you're looking to buy I suggest skipping distortion pedals. They usually sound very generic and processed and generally shitty (to me at least). I use OD and Fuzz. :cool: Can't go wrong.

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Skip pedals altogether.

Tube amps overdrive/distortion relies on tube driven pre-amps. With the exception of tube-driven pedals, pedals are solid state or digital, which to me is a step backwards in the tone game.
    Give me all tube tone any day !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Skip pedals altogether.

Tube amps overdrive/distortion relies on tube driven pre-amps. With the exception of tube-driven pedals, pedals are solid state or digital, which to me is a step backwards in the tone game.
    Give me all tube tone any day !!
    Love tube amps but pedals are wonderful things to have to broaden your sound. No amp in the world is gonna give me what I get from the Fender Blender for example (nor any other pedal really :D ). But certainly a great tone starts with the amp.

"Make our day"