best recording progam?

sasojsasoj Posts: 239
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i would like to record a couple of acoustic songs on my
laptop and i wonder if anyone knows of
a good downloadable program for audio recording?

tnx
i love rock chicks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    i love rock chicks
  • i'm a huge fan of any Pro Tools LE system, more compatibility than any other system.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    ProTools . . . still the industry standard.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Ian is right, Pro Tools is the Industry standard, but that's got a lot to do with things like the fact that Digidesign, the company that makes Pro Tools, exhaustively tests their software and hardware with specific computer systems and provides lists of of hardware that they 'support' and gurantee their systems will work with. This is very useful when you are running a commercial studio or series of commercial studios and need to make purchases in bulk and don't have time to mess around with customizing, or back tracking to find any weak links in the chain. It also has to do with the fact that an industry needs a standard... just like Windows is the industry standard in business even though Linux, or Mac OS X might be better for some things.

Additionally the Industry standard version of Pro Tools, the "Pro" Pro Tools depends on Digidesign hardware for analog digital conversion and co-processing. Pro Tools LE the version you'd probably be looking at, has a limited track count. Lots of other software systems will support as many tracks as your computer processor can handle.

If you are seriously planning to take your files around to professional studios and having work done there, then yes Pro Tools is the way to go. But if you are just tyring to make a home studio check out Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Digital Performer, Sonar and any number of other systems.

I've used pro tools for years, and while it is a great system I feel as though Pro Tools LE is kind of a trap designed to get you "hooked" on Pro Tools so that you need to buy expensive Digidesign hardware if you want to get beyond 48 tracks in a single file (not that you'll ever need more than 48 tracks for a final mix, but when auditioning parts and deciding which ones to keep track counts can add up fast). Logic tends to be kick arse for heavy Midi users. Cubase is great for straight audio, and Nuendo is a great option for video sync work. They are all roughly equal in feature set. The differences have to do with layout and 'feel'. the one that works best with your 'flow' is probably the way to go.