Saddle Replacement

The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just picked up a used SG and the saddles have some wide grooves in them, and the low E seems to have been cut into. What does it take to replace the saddles in a tune-o-matic bridge, or am I better off just buying a whole new bridge?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It really depends on the bridge. Most of them are standard parts, but there are some different models out there. If it's a Gibson, or at least a better-quality Epiphone, it should be very easy to get replacement saddles and install them.

It might be worth it to look into getting some graphite saddles, since you're replacing them anyways. Some people don't care for them, but I really like the GraphTech saddles I put on my Les Paul.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Thanks for the info. What is the advantage to the graphie saddles?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The Vacant wrote:
    What is the advantage to the graphie saddles?
    less friction, but sometimes there's a little tone loss (depends on the guitar and bridge).

Update: I've got graphite saddle on a couple Fender Strats, I like them fine . . .
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yeah, graphite is a softer and smoother material, which means that it won't bind as easily on the string or develop burrs that can cut strings. They tend to provide some increase in sustain, but as Ian said, they can be perceived to affect tone. Usually it's at the expense of some brightness/presence in tone.

I wasn't saying that you should definitely swap them for graphite, but rather that it was worth investigating. Since you're replacing the saddles, it would be good to see if you want graphite, brass, or steel, rather than just replacing them with the same thing it came with. If that's what you go with eventually, cool, but take a few minutes to think about it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You can buy just the saddles, but you might be able to just reshape the saddles you have, too, if you have the spirit of adventure! If they're just worn and frayed, you can smooth them with a file and cut new grooves in them. It might be something to consider for now. If you cut deeper, then you raise the saddles to set it up. Hell, if you screw them up, you were gonna get some saddles anyway!
    I file my tuneomatic saddles down at the low E string anyway because the scrape my palm when I'm playing, so I smooth the top edge down.
    The problem with metal saddles is that they start getting worn with sharp edges, but really, a couple of swipes with a file or sandpaper, or emery paper and you can smooth them out quite nicely. You an even create a longer curve in the saddle notch for the strings so they don't break as easily.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    You can buy just the saddles, but you might be able to just reshape the saddles you have, too, if you have the spirit of adventure! If they're just worn and frayed, you can smooth them with a file and cut new grooves in them. It might be something to consider for now. If you cut deeper, then you raise the saddles to set it up. Hell, if you screw them up, you were gonna get some saddles anyway!
    I file my tuneomatic saddles down at the low E string anyway because the scrape my palm when I'm playing, so I smooth the top edge down.
    The problem with metal saddles is that they start getting worn with sharp edges, but really, a couple of swipes with a file or sandpaper, or emery paper and you can smooth them out quite nicely. You an even create a longer curve in the saddle notch for the strings so they don't break as easily.

what files and or grit paper do you usually use for that bob?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    what files and or grit paper do you usually use for that bob?

I have a set of nut files that work great, but a fine triangular file works to cut the slot, then you can shape it with some 200 grit paper or try abrasive cord

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sanding_Tools_and_Supplies/1/Mitchell_Abrasive_Cord/Pictures.html#details
    The # 6070 and 6072 work great

It's great for smoothing the nut slots, too.

Or cheaper for less cord on a spool:
    http://mitchellsabrasives.com/osc/index.php?cPath=21

You'll see that in most guitar tech toolboxes now!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I've smoothed most of them out and haven't broken strings in ages, but it might help it out. I'm getting close to moving it anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.