Mesa Boogie

edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
any mesa fans out there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, I'm one, but you are so in the wrong place for Mesa loving.
    I've got a Lonestar combo, had a rectifier, which I foolishly sold, asm looking for another, or a Triaxis if I can get one for the right price.
    Most people here are part of the Fender tribe, though it's not as closed as some other PJ sites.
    What have you got ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • i was a big Mesa hater, actually. Until .....................

I tried a Lonestar Special.

Damn.

that would definitely be one of my first choices right now, if cash was no issue.

loved the cleans, and the edge of breakup cleans. great stuff. And i love the wattage switching, also, tho 5 wattts on the LS is way louder then any Champ out there.

if i bought that, i would probably be able to cut out most of my dirt pedals, which have been multiplying lately (with an OCD pedal most likely on the way, which would make like 8 to choose from) I could probably just need a boost/LightOD to take the lead channel up a notch, and maybe a fuzz for different shades. Then i could have room on the board for more swirly stuff, and could get into the more experimental tones, which i used to really love.

cheers
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i used to own a mesa blue angel 1x12.

i sold it.

because i'm an idiot.

if i'd known then what i know now i'd have kept it.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like Mesa quite a bit, it's just not my first choice usually.

The F50's have a lovely clean to pushed od.

The rectifiers obviously have their place. Tremoverbs and heartbreakers Nomads, Marks, etc. Mesa builds great stuff. They've just kind of been overexposed a bit kind of like Seymour Duncan.

My favorites have been the Blue Angel and the Mavrick

Specifically a maverick through a marshall TV cab with greenbacks.

The Road King is just damn cool with all the adjustments.

You can get a great tone from any of them they just take a little getting used to.

It really simply depends on the tone you want and how you want to get there.

I'm wanting to try one of these nice new channel switchers. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

Mesa pushes the level of engineering in tube amplifiers. I love that even if I normally go for simple single channel amps.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i was a big Mesa hater, actually. Until .....................

I tried a Lonestar Special.

Damn.

that would definitely be one of my first choices right now, if cash was no issue.

loved the cleans, and the edge of breakup cleans. great stuff. And i love the wattage switching, also, tho 5 wattts on the LS is way louder then any Champ out there.

if i bought that, i would probably be able to cut out most of my dirt pedals, which have been multiplying lately (with an OCD pedal most likely on the way, which would make like 8 to choose from) I could probably just need a boost/LightOD to take the lead channel up a notch, and maybe a fuzz for different shades. Then i could have room on the board for more swirly stuff, and could get into the more experimental tones, which i used to really love.

cheers

This is hilarious, hated em til you tried one. I suggested on the giventowail forum that the Lonestar special sounded cool and the abuse I copped was unbelieveable.
    INteresting comment PAco made about overexposure, it's probably true, people get a grudge against stuff just cos it's popular, but that hurts when teh popularity arises from doing it well, rather than just marketing or some other crap.
    I'll sure be adding to my Mesa collection. Selling ny Dual Rectifier was surely a stupid thing to do.
    I tried the Stiletto Ace head recently, the one with the new voicings. It is very sweet, could come home with me any day.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    This is hilarious, hated em til you tried one. I suggested on the giventowail forum that the Lonestar special sounded cool and the abuse I copped was unbelieveable.
    INteresting comment PAco made about overexposure, it's probably true, people get a grudge against stuff just cos it's popular, but that hurts when teh popularity arises from doing it well, rather than just marketing or some other crap.
    I'll sure be adding to my Mesa collection. Selling ny Dual Rectifier was surely a stupid thing to do.
    I tried the Stiletto Ace head recently, the one with the new voicings. It is very sweet, could come home with me any day.

well it's kind of funny, because first people were upset they couldn't find mesa because they had that one dealer per state thing, then they get a little more popular and they get into guitar center and all of a sudden...everybody has one.

it's just like anything else in the business really there are arguments for or against. They make very nice stuff people always are looking for the next thing trying to differentiate themselves from this or that. It all depends on the wants and needs of the player. Everybody has a different taste, it's easy to get elitist in this field.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My husband has had a few of these. They're too loud for the house. :p:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    My husband has had a few of these. They're too loud for the house. :p:D

Oh yes, they are definitely that. Notorious for being VERY FUCKING LOUD actually. LOL !! I met one bloke with a Mark 4 combo and when he is geting it out and setting it up his wife says, "Are you done yet??"
    I'm lucky, I live on acreage, so only teh horses get blasted, and my wife is used to it, she just turns up the TV and filters. Sometimes I think she can't sleep without teh noise.
  • I love Boogies!

I've had several over the years. They're reliable and well built, thusly great for gigging and touring.

My favorite is the Mark IIb head that I have from about 1983. It has 6 6L6's in it and is a monster head! It's about 160 to 200 watts, I think. The techs at Mesa said it might be based on a 300 watt Coloseum, but all I know is that it sounds great and is WAY too loud now. That was great to tour with, but there really isn't anywhere that I can open that thing up now that I don't play in big places.

I like my DC-5. I think it wasn't very popular because it needs a lot of knob tweaking. It has a lead and clean channel and an equalizer channel. If you spend a lot of time with it, you can get an amazing amount of sounds out of it. At 50 watts it's a little bit less too loud than the Mark II!
    I use that amp a lot. It has the Mesa sound, but with the equalizer, and the 6L6's it gets a nice Fender vibe, and even a bit of Marshall grind if you get the tubes working hard.

The Subway Rocket is awesome, too. It breaks up nicely at around half volume and at 20 watts, it's a little bit less too loud than the DC-5. :)

Stick an attenuator on them like a Weber, or a THD Hotplate and you can play them at home, too. There isn't an attenuator that'll handle the MarkII though. I think that's relegated to the closet now.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    These comments about the DC-5 are interesting. I have heard a lot of criticism of Mesa based on the need to tweak to get good sounds, but I think this is becasue the knobs actually make a difference. Once you get a good set-up, the sounds are amazing, but you have to work a little, esp on the eq.
    I find my Lonestar to be very microscopic, ie it shows up any strength or weakness in your guitar or playing quite a lot, so if you have a weak spot, things can really sound crap, but when you get it right, it's really right !!!
  • These comments about the DC-5 are interesting. I have heard a lot of criticism of Mesa based on the need to tweak to get good sounds, but I think this is becasue the knobs actually make a difference. Once you get a good set-up, the sounds are amazing, but you have to work a little, esp on the eq.
    I find my Lonestar to be very microscopic, ie it shows up any strength or weakness in your guitar or playing quite a lot, so if you have a weak spot, things can really sound crap, but when you get it right, it's really right !!!

Exactly! THe DC-5 almost needs a second person to slowly turn the knobs to find the spots. Once I DID find them, I wrote them down. For stage use I put whiteout on the face to mark where the settings were, because I could never find them again.
    The midrange is the finicky one on that amp. It boosts after 5 on the dial, and it really has to be precise as well as the equalizer sliders. That's what is a pain, but that's also why it's so versatile.

Nothing like a Strat through a Boogie playing clean to point out all the clinks and bad notes! :D

Nothing beats that Mark II 160 watter though. Pre on 6 and volume on 8 and that thing sings! Haha,,, I live in the city now, and had that on my third story roof here a few nights. Nobody could see, so nobody knew where the noise was coming from. :D
    Everyone knows me now, so I can't get away with that too much now! :(

Edit : haha,, I found a pic of the DC-5 and my PRS on the roof. I know I have one of the big one, too. I have to find it, though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/bands/DSC01407.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/bands/DSC01405.jpg

That was a loud night! :)
    Be kind, man
    That is really funny, so sad you have to go on teh roof like that. I am so lucky to live in rural Australia. I wouldn't even know what a building like that looks like. Seems you were having a whole lot of fun though.
    Rock on !!
    I am on teh lookout ofr a Triaxis, I will have to get off US e-bay, too expensive here. I thought I had one snagged but other international bidders have shoved teh price up too high, almost to as much as a new one.
    I might have to go frequent flyers to LA to see if I can snag a bargain.
  • That is really funny, so sad you have to go on teh roof like that. I am so lucky to live in rural Australia. I wouldn't even know what a building like that looks like. Seems you were having a whole lot of fun though.
    Rock on !!
    I am on teh lookout ofr a Triaxis, I will have to get off US e-bay, too expensive here. I thought I had one snagged but other international bidders have shoved teh price up too high, almost to as much as a new one.
    I might have to go frequent flyers to LA to see if I can snag a bargain.

I love my roof! I used to live away from civilization, and two friends and I also had a building we turned into a studio that we could crank everything up. We got rid of the building and I like my old 3 story city home now. I don't tour or play out much anymore. Once a month at an art gallery now. haha,,, the Boogie is out of context there!

I see stuff around,,, if I find a triaxis I'll let you know. There's a shop in Philadelphia that always has oddball and cool stuff. I see boogies in there sort of regularly.
    Be kind, man
    I love my roof! I used to live away from civilization, and two friends and I also had a building we turned into a studio that we could crank everything up. We got rid of the building and I like my old 3 story city home now. I don't tour or play out much anymore. Once a month at an art gallery now. haha,,, the Boogie is out of context there!

I see stuff around,,, if I find a triaxis I'll let you know. There's a shop in Philadelphia that always has oddball and cool stuff. I see boogies in there sort of regularly.

Cool man, thank you. I know a guy in LA I haven't spoken to in a while, but professional friendships last a long time, and I'm gonna ring him tonight to see if I can get stuff shipped to him, then he can re-post in on to me. I would be interested in any other stuff you find though, I am kinda planning to have a Boogie collection.
    The auctions limited to teh US never go as high in price, cos they are so cheap in teh US compared to everywhere else. Try $2700 US vs $5000 AUD for a TRiaxis, or pretty much everything. A Road King Head is $8000 in Oz, and I saw one go for $2100 on e-bay the other day, I nearly cried, fucking custom purple leather and all.