Sound Booth question

tobbactobbac Posts: 234
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
any suggestions as to optimal size for one....my brethern's got an unfinished basement i said i'd build him some rooms in...and 1st up is a booth...hes into hiphop so it basically just needs to fit him...im just unsure as to how acoustics are affected by size....
You ain't-never seen no one like me
Prevail-regardless what the cost might be
Power-flows inside of me, you can't bring me
Never-fall as long as I try
Refuse-to be a part of your lie
Even-if it means I die, you can't bring me
You...can't...bring...me...down!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Lil John uses 3 mattresses as a sound proof method
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • tobbactobbac Posts: 234
    ya well lil jon's a character....not sure id be following his lead....he'll be buying the actual soundproofing panels...
  • Actually, mattresses, blankets, etc. are all reasonably effective cheap soundproofing techniques.

If you're talking about a space just to rap in I'd say the average bathroom size give or take. You might want to consider if he wants it to just be a booth or a smaller room he can set up a mood in (decoration, candles, whatever floats his boat).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    A good friend of mine who works with hip hop artists just had them stand in a closet(very large closet) but it's soundproofed with blankets and matress material. It works great and saved him money so he could buy more equipment.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    he used to do that too but since ill be remodelling the whole basement anyways....figured might as well do it proper...plus ive been mr.mom at home all the time with daughter....so ive been dying to build something....havent got to build a house in awhile....
  • with proper sound proofing, the size of the room doesn't matter, except for mic proximity, if its mainly used for vocals, you only need a few feet for the person and the mic, if he is micing instruments, he will need to factor how much room. and as i said, if its a well sound-proofed room, there should be almost zero sound reflection, which then in turn cancels out any room size factor. i think 60-80 square feet would be a nice size for vocals (you could put a nice chair and table in there too)

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    ok thanks for your input...i guess i should ask him what exactly he plans...i know hes had people buying beats and asking for production....maybe i should just build a full on lil studio for him....
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I'm sorry, Hip Hop :eek: what's he thinking
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    hes been into hip hop from the dawn of it....and writing and recording for almost as long....and although not a prerequisite....hes black...
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    I'm sorry, Hip Hop :eek: what's he thinking

ive prodcued rock and acoustic stuff for a while now. Hip Hop is by far the most fun for me, from a technical point of view its quite simple (beat making on reason, or whatever) and just the unlimited creativity is a nice way to get your weird ideas out....don;t know it till you try it! although you need some sort of listening experience to know how to make it

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    he uses a triton and pro tools i believe....maybe cool edit pro cant recall....what i dont get after discovering what you can do with programs such as these....is why more people of different genres dont have home studios....its so convenient and cost effective if you know what youre doing....
    well maybe i should get him to rethink his plan...he has an appreciation for rock and other genres too.....has an all round god ear for music....perhaps its time he expands....
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    All right, as someone who knows a lot fo these 'big time' hip hop artists and some producers, I must say that for the most part, the appreciate all genres and while hip hop/rap is their genre, many do listen to other genre's regularly and even sample them. Sorry if this comes off cocky or makes me sound like an asshole, I'm really bad at wording things, so I aplogize if it does.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy