check out my tunes, tell me what you think

JkeJke Posts: 5
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Check out some of my songs, give me some feedback, if you like them, feel free to buy them (they're cheap) http://www.myspace.com/jkejohnson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jke wrote:
    Check out some of my songs, give me some feedback, if you like them, feel free to buy them (they're cheap) http://www.myspace.com/jkejohnson
    Honestly . . . my feelings :eek: to :o to :(

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
    I respect you for making music and doing what you love...but I'm just not feeling it man...sorry
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Niandra LaDes & Usually Just a Tshirt

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    My feedback is just an opinion, but my response is I feel as though The Bob Dylan influence is getting between me as a listener and you as a person trying to lay something on the line. That is, I'm sure there is stuff you feel, and want to say, and it's kind of cool that this music isn't trying to be polished, but it does sound as though you are sort of hanging on to Bob Dylan the way someone who is just learning how to swim might hang on to a swimming pool wall. The cool thing about Dylan is he didn't sound like anyone, so it was really obvious that this was just a dude comming from his own wavelength. There are flickers in your music which suggest to me that's what you're going for, your own wavelength... and I like some of the dissonance and feedbacky noise fest stuff on guitar. The guitar doesn't necessarily sound like Dylan, but to me things don't take off because to me your vocal phrasing, delivery and singing make it sound as though you are trying to sound like Dylan... which means it sounds nothing like Dylan, since Dylan sounded like nobody else.

Anyway... I'd say keep doing it. It took me a while to learn that criticism is a friend, because if the point is communicating, you want to learn what people are hearing on the other side of that great big gulf of perception and then decide if it matches with your own expectations of what you were trying to get across. The more trips one takes back to the drawing board to change or refine direction, the more one grows... which is what makes music so awesome.

It's hard finding one's own voice... it's scary as hell. Sometimes I think that part of the reason Ed is so amazing is because he had so much crap to deal with in his own life, it kind of literally beat the bullshit out of him.

It can take a lot to swim out away from our influences ... but to be fair you *are* doing it by posting stuff here and looking for feedback. I think there might be something here, but I feel like it's a hitting a wall in me when it sounds like you are falling back on someone else. Again that's how it sounds to me. This is all just one guy's opinion. For me though music like this works when the person making it is taking risks without a net. Then even if the music is rough and edgy you still have respect and give props to the dude making it for putting himself in danger.

So, again I think it's really cool you are putting it out there and asking for feedback because that *is* taking a risk, and exposing yourself to danger... but the way you are singing and delivering the lyrics to me sounds like you are playing it a little safe by sounding like someone else even if you may not know it.

Either way, props to you for looking for feedback and for keeping at it. Keep going and you'll get to a place where you are getting the feedback you are looking for.