$493,000 Us

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is what it would've cost you to buy Jimi's 1965 Strat, that he set alight 40 years ago at Finsbury Astoria in March 1967.

Here's a news video clip on it. I'm sure Jimi would turn over in his grave watching that BBC reporter playing it. Oh boy, i would love to hold that little baby for just a couple of seconds even.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7597563.stm
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chopschops Posts: 19
    Why would Jimi Hendrix have a played a right handed guitar? He was good, but was he THAT good he play either side? Now, I know he frequenly played right handed guitars flipped around, but that guitar is strung for right handers (as proved by the 'Jimi Hendrix correspondent defiling it.) So did Jimi ever acutally play the thing? Or did the people who found it (and claimed to have not alter it) string it the right(wrong) way around? Either way, seems a bit suss to me. and at ~$750 000, I'd want some proof of authenticity.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm pretty sure anyone spending that sort of money would ensure that it was authentic.

Hendrix played the Finsbury Astoria on the Walker brothers tour on 31st March 1967 and he and Chas decided that on that opening night of the tour Jimi should do something spectacular with his act. Tony went and bought some lighter fluid and the the rest is history. Jimi was reprimanded and then packaged off to hospital Tony and Chas went to Legends and celebrated.

When Hendrix did the same trick at the Monterey festival in America, later that year, that was it - it became an iconic moment in the history of rock'n'roll and cemented Hendrix's reputation on both sides of the Atlantic.

The Finsbury Astoria guitar came back to the office and then when the management changed their offices it ended up at Noel Redding's house, after that Tony took it and other office items to his own flat and then to his parents and ultimately his Nephew's house where it remained until 2007.

Now, the guitar - known as the FAB (Finsbury Astoria Burnt) - is up for auction by Fame Bureau. This is the chance for a lucky (and very, very, very rich) bidder to win the first guitar Hendrix ever set on fire...

The guitar comes with a signed and witnessed letter from Tony Garland, a DVD of the Fame Bureau interview with him and guitar experts and journalists from Guitar and Bass magazine, the ceremonial re-stringing of the guitar and photos of Tony and Jimi together in London.
    Ah righto - the ceremonial restringing. Thanks. Explains my scepticisim. Though you'd think they'd string it left handed again maybe? Just for Jimi's sake? Just me? Righto.
    Now if I only I could find a spare half mill...
    Yar, like i said earlier, i would love to just be able to hold it for a sec. I would give just about anything to have seen him live.
  • chops wrote:
    Why would Jimi Hendrix have a played a right handed guitar? He was good, but was he THAT good he play either side? Now, I know he frequenly played right handed guitars flipped around, but that guitar is strung for right handers (as proved by the 'Jimi Hendrix correspondent defiling it.) So did Jimi ever acutally play the thing? Or did the people who found it (and claimed to have not alter it) string it the right(wrong) way around? Either way, seems a bit suss to me. and at ~$750 000, I'd want some proof of authenticity.

umm no, look at 0:59 u can clearly see the heavier gauge strings are on the bottom
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    chops wrote:

jimi played right-handed with the isley brothers at times. i've seen photos. he was that good.

and the guitar is still strung left-handed in the video. look closely.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025
    chops wrote:
    I believe I read somewhere the he played the right handed guitars as a lefty and even left the strings that way too sometimes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    exhausted wrote:
    jimi played right-handed with the isley brothers at times. i've seen photos. he was that good.

yes, it is. if you can take your eyes off that awful reporter for a few minutes, and take a close look, you can see ;)
  • Hendrix ALWAYS played right handed guitars. Fender has even made guitars with the headstock upside down for that Hendrix look.
    He played right handed Flying Vee's and Les Pauls, also on the rare occasion he used those models.
    Alright. My bad. I just assumed it was strung regularly as the guy was playing it right handed. Never seen many left handed guitar players playing right handed guitars, and I've never really played a left handed guitar (I'm right handed). Anyway, in hindsight I thought that reporter did alright upside down. Or is it not that hard? I'd imagine it's pretty hard.
    New thread: What's the most difficult thing you can play wrong-handed...;-)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:

But he got tired of playing everything in the key of F all the time :D

not right handed... just boring to play wrong handed in the same key all the time. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • chops wrote:
    Why would Jimi Hendrix have a played a right handed guitar? He was good, but was he THAT good he play either side?

Maybe that's why he burned it! :D Bought the wrong one!

Yeah, he played all sorts of directions on the guitar. I saw him twice, and to see him stand there live, his energy was amazing. He could have ripped the joint up with an oboe! I don't think oboes take as long to burn, though. ;)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Yeah, he played all sorts of directions on the guitar. I saw him twice, and to see him stand there live, his energy was amazing. He could have ripped the joint up with an oboe! I don't think oboes take as long to burn, though. ;)
    What about a bassoon?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • What about a bassoon?

Haha,, it's funny you say that. I wrote Bassoon and then figured not many people know what one is, and I was really sitting there thinking about how long would a bassoon would burn! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart