Some guitars ARE heavier than others!

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
rant:

I have a 57 custom lp black beauty that was left to me from my brother who was a musician. i don't play it, but i'll never part with it. It's heavy, uncomfortable and i don't like the feel. I also have an SG which is light as hell and what i prefer to play.

What really upsets me is when something happens like happened last night. Someone commented to me that the heaviness is all in my head and that the difference between a 8lb guitar and a 12lb guitar is hardly noticeable and i need to toughen up a bit. (I'd never met this person before, he was home for the holidays and came for a jam with people i jam out with). I then got the lecture that heavier ones are better for sustain and light ones are more airy and rah rah rah. I wanted to say , 'dude ive been playing for 13 years. Shutup.' I was seriously annoyed.

So, i bit my tongue, and i wanted to tell him that he was full of shit and of course there is a difference. I just thought, I don't understand why others preference matters to you. You like them heavy, I like them lighter, who gives a fuck, you do your thing, I'll do mine. We have absolutely zero impact on each other.

I did get the last laugh though. He might of been able to talk the talk, but he didn't tear it up as much as he talked it up! That was kinda cool ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's funny cause my neck and back after a few hours of rehearsal tells me otherwise. Depending on what I use, I'm either done for the night, need some anti inflamitories and to lay down with a heating pad, or I'm ready to keep going for another hour.

When I rehearse I tend to go with the hollowbody guitars, Country Gentleman, DanElectro, Duo Jet (yes not hollowbody but chambered and light). Of course now that I got the reverend I try to stick with that to figure out what it all has to offer, but I regret it at the end of the night.

Recording is different because I usually sit down.

To me the weight does have a big difference in being comfortable. I GOT YOUR BACK!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    You should have told that guy to shut his yapper. It's funny how I can feel the difference between my LP and my Fender. I guess it's all in my head......and my neck and my back.

The local music store, where I get most of my stuff from, ships alot of things around the country and world. The first thing they get is, 'How much does the guitar weigh?' They actully went out and bought a scale to weigh the guitars. They said they they can't sell a guitar that is to heavy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You haven't seen the cardboard sign in the Gibson factory that assigns what wood goes where ??

Light stuff goes to Historics, medium is production , heavy stuff is desiganated to Customs.
    Yup, they pick the heavy stuff especially for you, gurl !!
    I'm no weakling, but I can tell the difference between a light guitar and a heavy one after it's been dangling around my neck for a bit. The fact that he can't means he either sits to play, or does not really play that much, certainly not a Custom that's for sure.
    He was just jealous, and wanted to try your guitar, but was too uncool to ask nicely.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    It was really just a vent, we all know some guitars are heavier than others but the dude was just being a dick.

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Hey, if it makes you feel better, I just spent a few hours playing this .....

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/lucylespian/Inarasml.jpg

and it's not really heavy at all. I think the neck weighs more than the body.

I sat down though, and played DSOTM arpeggios through a Rotosphere.very soothing and nice.

I did compare a coule of old Customs in a daggy old shop once, one was twice the weight of the other.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Hey, if it makes you feel better, I just spent a few hours playing this .....

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/lucylespian/Inarasml.jpg

and it's not really heavy at all. I think the neck weighs more than the body.

I sat down though, and played DSOTM arpeggios through a Rotosphere.very soothing and nice.

I did compare a coule of old Customs in a daggy old shop once, one was twice the weight of the other.

That's a sweet piece right there.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    It does make difference, man I just got a Fender Duo-Sonic and that little thing is light as hell. I can play all day with that, but my Epi LP gives me back pain (and im not wimpy :p ). I agree with you, but I do think heavier ones have better sustain.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • said it b4
    say it again

i like the heavy ones.
    the fatbottom girls really tie you to the ground.

Something like an SG and i feel like i'm floatin' away.

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?