Amplifier questions

SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well Im not a beginner, but I dont know how all the electronics work when it comes to the union of a guitar and amp. I've asked this to a couple of people and never got a sure answer from anyone SO....
Does it hurt (actually do damage) to use a guitar with a bass amp or visa-versa? Also any other combination of instrments and amplifiers?
Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I use my guitars with a Bass amp. I actually use the Bass amp as an adjustable cab for my guitar amp. It shouldn't hurt it however, it is possible to blow the bass amp out if it has a lower wattage than the guitar amp. To play a bass through a guitar amp is a terrible idea. I've watched bassists blow guitar amps before.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Yea I had a 10 watt guitar amp but I loaned it to a friend and im sick of taking my 120 watt Crate when I go places. SO I was thinking of using my Ibanez 10 watt bass amp, it has almost no low-end at all and alot high end to it. And I need to play and electric through an acoustic amp next weekend. I know thats not gona hurt it but i wanted to check cuz it isnt mine lol. (the amp isnt)
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You can use a bass amp as a guitar amp - REMEMBER, the Fender Bassman was originally a Bass amp, but many
    guitarists seemed to like the mellower tone they got out of it.
    However, I wouln't recommend using a guitar amp as a Bass amp since it doesn't handle the low frequencies as well.
    Lower frequencies usually require more wattage (which is why a lot of bass amps push 700+ watts.
    (the Ampeg SVT4PRO pushes 1600 watts bridged).
    The speakers in a guitar amp have a different range than the speakers in a bass amp (which handle much low frequencies).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Snake wrote:
    Yea I had a 10 watt guitar amp but I loaned it to a friend and im sick of taking my 120 watt Crate when I go places. SO I was thinking of using my Ibanez 10 watt bass amp, it has almost no low-end at all and alot high end to it. And I need to play and electric through an acoustic amp next weekend. I know thats not gona hurt it but i wanted to check cuz it isnt mine lol. (the amp isnt)
    Yeah, you'll be good
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy