Strat Strap Button Problem

run_into_the_rainrun_into_the_rain Posts: 93
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So My American Deluxe Strat is having a little problem. The front strap button comes loose all the time. It has staplocks on it by the way. I tighten it down almost everytime I pick it up and I'm pretty sure all I'm gonna end up doing is striping it out. I've thought about puttin some glue of some sort in there to tighten it up.... Any ideas/do or don'ts?
Thanks

7/02/06 Denver
12/02/06 Honolulu
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• break off part of a wooden toothpick, cover it in wood glue and stick it in the hole. let it dry for a few minutes and then screw the strap button back on. the piece of toothpick should take up any room left from the threads being stripped. i have used this technique on my strat, sg, and les paul custom and have never had a problem.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    break off part of a wooden toothpick, cover it in wood glue and stick it in the hole. let it dry for a few minutes and then screw the strap button back on. the piece of toothpick should take up any room left from the threads being stripped. i have used this technique on my strat, sg, and les paul custom and have never had a problem.

I did all of the above, minus the wood glue, and it still held, for the past year and a half or so.
  • I've had to do the tooth pic and wood glue trick in the past and it's held up for me.
  • Alright thanks, sorry it took me so long to get back on. I'll give that a try

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Funny enough, wood glue is actually stronger than wood (it's proven) - And yeah you can use any
    filler type wood for this fix (toothpicks, matchsticks, dowel rods). I've known guys that glue in small
    dowel rods to completely plug the hole - then they just re-drill the pilot hole for the strap buttons.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫