Acoustics

run_into_the_rainrun_into_the_rain Posts: 93
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So here I am wondering why I don't own an acoustic guitar and listening to elderly woman. Any suggestions on a nice versitlie acoustic for a good price. I won't be buying for a few months clearly since I just bought a new strat but figured I'd strat looking. I deffinetly look clueless with all my recent questions but hey

7/02/06 Denver
12/02/06 Honolulu
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Now don't hold your breath waiting for people to be nasty here, just don't happen.
    We all love any chance to talk gear.
    There is a lot of love for Art & Lutherie acoustics here, for good reason, they are great bang for buck.
    I still love my old Ibanez, and they do great stuff too.
    Yamaha are always in there fighting with any music gear too, they don't get mentioned much here . Greatsch are also doing entry level gear, and some of that seems cool country themed mostly.
    I am a big fan of buying quality once, so don't ask what I think, I'll get you divorced and hungry all in one go.
    I have not bought a new acoustic in a long time, cos nothing rings my bell better than me old Ibanez without costing more than a small war.
    There si no better excuse to own and acoustic than Crazy Mary or Daughter.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I've had an old jumbo Sigma twelve string for 17 years, but the guitar is about 37 years old. It's a circa 1970 Martin prototype, and it's a beast of a machine. I bought it for only £150 from some eejit, back in 1990.

Find some eejit who likes giving away awesome guitars for stupidly low prices, and you'll have a good acoustic, for life. ;)
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Find some eejit who likes giving away awesome guitars for stupidly low prices, and you'll have a good acoustic, for life. ;)

That's what's worked for me so far. Got an amazing Japanese made Yamaha from the 1970s about a decade ago from a pawn shop that had no clue it was a decent guitar for $100. Honestly the thing sounds better than some Martins I've played (some... not all). Picked up a Taylor from someone on Craigslist just about a week ago who sold it for dirt because he thought it had bum frets.... All that was needed was to raise the nut which he'd lowered in an effort to get shred metal feel from an accoustic. Why he forgot to try just raising the nut back up again is beyond me... but $500 for the guitar and $100 for a set up at Rudy's in NYC later and I've got a $2k guitar for dirt.

The *other* reason to go used is that acoustics really do improve with age. They get 'played in'. If you get one that still kills after a decade you know you are ahead of the game as opposed to one that slays in a store... but has been in one controled humidified environment for all it's two dozen days on this earth.

Last tip.... When it comes to acoustics there is no such thing as "Brand of guitar" anymore than there is "brand of tree". I mean... brand will give you a good idea of where to start... and who has had success building great acoustics... but you are buying the wood on an acoustic much more so than an electric where the pickups and amp can make even a plank sound good. So ... and this would be my advice... *No Mail Order*. Play the *exact* sucker you intend to buy... and *only* buy if it makes your heart open up and gets you to smile. There is nothing on earth like picking up the "right" guitar. You know when it happens.... Just make sure you still have some coin in your pocket when it does... and that you didn't blow it all already on something that looked just great in a catalog.

Best of luck!
  • Fender makes a good acoustic pack for the beginner BUT since you're not...I'd suggest taking a look at an Ovation, Martin, or Taylor. Since I have small hands, I just look for smaller necks. I think everyone on this forum can agree with me when I say that before you buy a guitar, try a few of the same model and brand out-all guiars feel different. Good luck!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Find some eejit who likes giving away awesome guitars for stupidly low prices, and you'll have a good acoustic, for life. ;)

Or trade a guitar you hate anyway. That's how I got my 1978 Guild D25.
  • i just bought a martin dx1k about 2 weeks ago and i must say that I FUCKING LOVE IT. it plays and sounds amazing and is essentially everything that i want in a reasonably priced guitar.

my advice is to shop around local music places and online with a couple of brandnames in mind and a price range. then test them out and find the one that most satisfies your standards for looks, sound, comfort, and price.
    St. John's, NL - 2005/09/24, 2005/09/25
    Toronto, ON - 2009/08/21
    Austin - 2014/10/05
    Ottawa - 2016/05/08

"Can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain"
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Define "good price." You get what you pay for up to a point, and then it starts to level off. For example, you'll probably notice a significant difference between a $300, $600, $1000, and $2000 guitar, but beyond about the $2000 range they're all the same. Basically, for what you want it for (personal use, not really any serious gigging or whatnot), the $300 or $600 range will serve you fine. I'd personally say check out some mid-rage Martins, Taylors, Alvarez, Takamine, and yes, even Epiphone. If you can find an Epi Masterbuilt, they're great guitars, my roommate has one.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Tanglewood are also exceptional value for money, if you can find them. I think they are a UK company, and they are becoming quite popular here.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Tanglewood are also exceptional value for money, if you can find them. I think they are a UK company, and they are becoming quite popular here.

There is a nice Tanglewood in the guitar shop near where i work at Robina Town Centre.... very nice indeed. I've stopped in on numerous occasions to annoy the hell out of the store staff and have a tinker...
    Lukin4 wrote:
    There is a nice Tanglewood in the guitar shop near where i work at Robina Town Centre.... very nice indeed. I've stopped in on numerous occasions to annoy the hell out of the store staff and have a tinker...

Cool, and you are very close to me, PM me if you are interested in a jam at all. There are some at Blue Note at Braodbeach and also at Guitar Brothers in Red Hill.
    Theya re MArtin quality at Epiphone prices. Ebony boards, solid tops, pretty inlays, really noice stuff !
  • Novawind wrote:
    Define "good price." You get what you pay for up to a point, and then it starts to level off. For example, you'll probably notice a significant difference between a $300, $600, $1000, and $2000 guitar, but beyond about the $2000 range they're all the same. Basically, for what you want it for (personal use, not really any serious gigging or whatnot), the $300 or $600 range will serve you fine. I'd personally say check out some mid-rage Martins, Taylors, Alvarez, Takamine, and yes, even Epiphone. If you can find an Epi Masterbuilt, they're great guitars, my roommate has one.

Well being that I just bought an american deluxe strat and primarily play electric I'm probably currently in the range right around 600

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • Cool, and you are very close to me, PM me if you are interested in a jam at all. There are some at Blue Note at Braodbeach and also at Guitar Brothers in Red Hill.
    Theya re MArtin quality at Epiphone prices. Ebony boards, solid tops, pretty inlays, really noice stuff !

I haven't heard of Tanglewood but lack of local shops may explain that. I think I might throw that on the list to check out when I get around.

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Seagull should be checked out.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Seagulls are lovely guitars.
  • I think Seagulls and Breedlove's are good. The breedlove Atlas series are made overseas, but set up in Bend Oregon where their factory is. I think they tend to have more of a bright taylor sound as opposed to a punchier deeper Martin sound.

Myself, I own a Martin Custom D-15 with rosewood and I love it.
    Gorge