release on acoustic

taratara Posts: 293
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
it's my third week playing guitar now, so i'm not really sure what's not possible, and what's just not possible for me yet, so i thought i'd ask you kids, release being my favorite song (or at least one of them), i thought i'd give it a shot, but it starts out with this notation on the high e string "0h2p0", now i'm thinking that the 'h' is that you hit on the second fret after you've plucked the string and the 'p' is pull off, but obviously this doesn't create sound on an acoustic
so should i strum each note (which is prooving a bit difficult timing wise), or do you guys have some other modified version that you play, or am i attempting something that isn't gonna work
No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you are talking about the hammer on and pull off of the first note of the song. if you are just starting out you might not know how to do a hammer on yet.

basically that part is you pick the open high e and while the note is ringing you hammer down on the second fret with your middle finger and then pull your finger away very quickly. the result is basically a very quick 3 note line and looks something like 0-2-0

i finger pick it. it is too clumsy for me to do it with a pick. the way i play it, i hit the open d string with my thumb and the high e at the same time with my right index finger. to me it sounds more full with that bass note in there at the beginning of the riff.

i would just practice the hammering on and pulling off on the second fret of the high e. i hope that helps.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tara wrote:
    it's my third week playing guitar now, so i'm not really sure what's not possible, and what's just not possible for me yet, so i thought i'd ask you kids, release being my favorite song (or at least one of them), i thought i'd give it a shot, but it starts out with this notation on the high e string "0h2p0", now i'm thinking that the 'h' is that you hit on the second fret after you've plucked the string and the 'p' is pull off, but obviously this doesn't create sound on an acoustic
    so should i strum each note (which is prooving a bit difficult timing wise), or do you guys have some other modified version that you play, or am i attempting something that isn't gonna work

Since you've just recently started playing, I think the problem is that your hands aren't strong enough yet. The "h" stands for "hammer-on" and yes, the "p" stands for "pull off." My advice would be to keep practicing that hammer-on-pull-off technique and see if the sound improves any.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • taratara Posts: 293
    you are talking about the hammer on and pull off of the first note of the song. if you are just starting out you might not know how to do a hammer on yet.

basically that part is you pick the open high e and while the note is ringing you hammer down on the second fret with your middle finger and then pull your finger away very quickly. the result is basically a very quick 3 note line and looks something like 0-2-0

i finger pick it. it is too clumsy for me to do it with a pick. the way i play it, i hit the open d string with my thumb and the high e at the same time with my right index finger. to me it sounds more full with that bass note in there at the beginning of the riff.

i would just practice the hammering on and pulling off on the second fret of the high e. i hope that helps.

and this will actually be audible? cause right now i can hear it cause i'm sitting in a quiet room and i'm listening really really hard. maybe it is a hand strength thing, but my hands are probably a bit stronger than your average person since i'm a climber, alright, back to practicing it, next i'll have to try and add my voice to it, which right now isn't happening (remember the 1991 christmas singles ramblings where stone says that he can't speak 'cause he'll fuck it up, that's me, can't walk and chew gum)
    Albert Einstein
  • tara wrote:
    it's my third week playing guitar now, so i'm not really sure what's not possible, and what's just not possible for me yet, so i thought i'd ask you kids,

haha,,,, ok, this kid says, "keep at it! :D

You have a good advantage that you have strong fingers from rock climbing. It still takes a bit to make the muscles pay what you want, though.

I have to go listen to release, and see what key,,,

Ok, I'm back!
    It's in open D. That should be easy, and yes it sounds great on acoustic.

Two things that might help. You need good timing with a hammer on. You pick the open string E, then have to hit the string hard enough with your middle finger to "bing" the next note.
    For the pull off, you don't just pull your finger off the string, but give the string a slight pluck with your middle finger when you pull it off, like you would if you were finger picking with your other hand. You can hammer on and pull off all day without ever using your other hand!
    Try just sitting there and "hammer on and pull offing" (I think that's a verb) without using your other hand to get a feel for it.

Have fun playing. Cool that you're doing it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You have a good advantage that you have strong fingers from rock climbing. It still takes a bit to make the muscles pay what you want, though.

I have to go listen to release, and see what key,,,

Ok, I'm back!
    It's in open D. That should be easy, and yes it sounds great on acoustic.

Two things that might help. You need good timing with a hammer on. You pick the open string E, then have to hit the string hard enough with your middle finger to "bing" the next note.
    For the pull off, you don't just pull your finger off the string, but give the string a slight pluck with your middle finger when you pull it off, like you would if you were finger picking with your other hand. You can hammer on and pull off all day without ever using your other hand!
    Try just sitting there and "hammer on and pull offing" (I think that's a verb) without using your other hand to get a feel for it.

Have fun playing. Cool that you're doing it!

Good advice, great song for a beginner, cos it is simple and pretty and has these elements to train your fingers. But it's in D, not open D.
    Try just practising the hammer/pull off sequence somewhere around the 5th/7th fret using your index and middle fingers, just to get the feel of it, maybe on the B string initially, cos it will make a bit more sound, and being not so close to the edge of the fretboard, it is a little easier. Then work on it on the E string, then go back to the D chord fingering.
    I usually use finger picking for this rather than a pick, cos on the first note of the phrase, you should be playing an open D string as well.
    Good luck, and keep plucking.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    cos it will kanke a bit more sound, and being not sp close to the edge of teh fretboard, ti is a little easier. Then wrk on it on teh E stgring, tehn go back to teh D chord fingering.

Yikes...
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    DOSW wrote:
    Yikes...

OK. I'm a crap typist, I'll go back and edit that so it makes sense in English, not just Swahili. I hope you realise all my posts look like that until I correct some of the typo's.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    OK. I'm a crap typist, I'll go back and edit that so it makes sense in English, not just Swahili. I hope you realise all my posts look like that until I correct some of the typo's.

Haha, don't worry about it. I just felt like busting your balls on that one. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Haha, don't worry about it. I just felt like busting your balls on that one. :D

...............that's cool, it was pretty bad, comes from being an old fart, we toleate technology, just aren't very good at it..........
  • Good advice, great song for a beginner, cos it is simple and pretty and has these elements to train your fingers. But it's in D, not open D.
    Try just practising the hammer/pull off sequence somewhere around the 5th/7th fret using your index and middle fingers, just to get the feel of it, maybe on the B string initially, cos it will make a bit more sound, and being not so close to the edge of the fretboard, it is a little easier. Then work on it on the E string, then go back to the D chord fingering.
    I usually use finger picking for this rather than a pick, cos on the first note of the phrase, you should be playing an open D string as well.
    Good luck, and keep plucking.

Hmmm,,, I meant open D chord, not open D tuning, if that's what you're referring to. :)
    I haven't even played many pj songs. I just listened to the CD when I saw posted and I think it's just a D chord standard tuning. I'm an ear player, I never had TABs back when I was a boy! Just a stick and some fire and an old record player. :D

I don't want to confuse Tara, though, She's only been playing for 3 weeks :D She's a rock climber though, and been to India, too, so she can handle anything! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    I haven't even played many pj songs. I just listened to the CD when I saw posted and I think it's just a D chord standard tuning. I'm an ear player, I never had TABs back when I was a boy! Just a stick and some fire and an old record player. :D

I don't want to confuse Tara, though, She's only been playing for 3 weeks :D She's a rock climber though, and been to India, too, so she can handle anything! :cool:

Yeah, I was, sorry if that sounded a bit abrupt. The chord is D, of course, the tuning is standard, which you knew, and the key is D, which is what I was referring to. Just didn't want any confusion to arise, esp given the PJ penchant for alt tunings.
    I am still struggling with this whole internet communication thing. Humans just talk so much better face to face. It seems so easy to get teh wrong impression off each other with typed stuff.
    Sorry again !!
  • taratara Posts: 293
    Hmmm,,, I meant open D chord, not open D tuning, if that's what you're referring to. :)

and you made that fire with a stick, piece of string, and a rock right? and then plugged the record player into the fire, or did you have one of those gramophone types that you wind up ;)

thanks who's_pearljam and lucy and everyone else for the tutorial, i didn't realize that you pluck the string when you pull off, i'll go practice that tomorow (right now i'm tired).
    you kinda lost me with the open open D tuning, i'll get into the theory when the honeymoon's over
    Albert Einstein
  • tara wrote:
    i didn't realize that you pluck the string when you pull off

You don't actually. The whole point of of pulling off is to not pluck the string because if you did, it wouldn't sound right.

Here's what it looks like in tab:

e--3--0--0h2p0
    B
    ^
    G
    D--0
    A
    E

The only time you pluck the string during the hammer on-pull off part is on the first open e note in the bold highlighted notes, which has the arrow under it.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • tara wrote:
    and you made that fire with a stick, piece of string, and a rock right? and then plugged the record player into the fire, or did you have one of those gramophone types that you wind up ;)

thanks who's_pearljam and lucy and everyone else for the tutorial, i didn't realize that you pluck the string when you pull off, i'll go practice that tomorow (right now i'm tired).
    you kinda lost me with the open open D tuning, i'll get into the theory when the honeymoon's over

The best thing to do is to forget all the stuff about open D tunings and keep it simple. Don't listen to people like me muddying the waters! :D

Never thought you were abrupt, Lucylesp. I actually need people clearing things up after me! :D

I was meaning giving the string a slight pluck with your fretting finger when you pull it off the string, not plucking with your picking hand.
    It's subtle, and you don't want to make it go "boink" too loud, but when you're on acoustic it'll give you a bit of extra oomph. Once you're standing there with an electric and a couple of amps towering over you, you'll have plenty of volume! :cool:
    Be kind, man

Never thought you were abrupt, Lucylesp. I actually need people clearing things up after me! :D

I was meaning giving the string a slight pluck with your fretting finger when you pull it off the string, not plucking with your picking hand.
    It's subtle, and you don't want to make it go "boink" too loud, but when you're on acoustic it'll give you a bit of extra oomph. Once you're standing there with an electric and a couple of amps towering over you, you'll have plenty of volume! :cool:

yeah, i got the pluck with your fret hand pull of bit, i'll try to go for subtle, but right now my playing is about as subtle as a car wreck, that's ok though, something to work on.
    and i'm already drooling over electrics, every time there's some lame ass band on letterman or something, i put the volume down and check out what they're playing (although it's still a best guess situation)
    and thanks rigneyclan, that must have taken some effort to write out
    Albert Einstein
  • I was meaning giving the string a slight pluck with your fretting finger when you pull it off the string, not plucking with your picking hand.

oops! sorry I misunderstood.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
    The other thing I forgat to mention, is that this is a very quick motion, with the finger landing and flicking off again immediately, which helps with the slight flicking of the string they are referring to.
  • rigneyclan wrote:
    You don't actually. The whole point of of pulling off is to not pluck the string because if you did, it wouldn't sound right.

Here's what it looks like in tab:

e--3--0--0h2p0
    B
    ^
    G
    D--0
    A
    E

The only time you pluck the string during the hammer on-pull off part is on the first open e note in the bold highlighted notes, which has the arrow under it.
    yesssssssssss. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but to play the verse just hold that open D chord. A lot of begining guitar players (i've experienced) try to play every note individually in a song like this. Just hold the D. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • There is lots of great information here about how to do hammers and pulls. Read it, practice it, have fun with it.

But remember that half of the fun is putting your own twist on the song. Play the intro with a slide (which would probably sound bitchin), play it with a series of intervals (look em up, you'll need them later).

Have fun!