so, what do you consider 'new music'

taratara Posts: 293
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i know that there have been a 100 'my freinds don't understand pj' threads, but, i just had a moment like that, and i had to share
me: i havn't done any work today, how about you
freind: no, i'm glad it's not just me, what have you been up to
me: playing guitar, i'm learning a new song, and the online tabs suck, and i'm trying to figure it out, and it's really hard
freind: so what are you playing
me: a grateful dead song
freind: uh, do you play anything newer?
me: yeah, some pearl jam stuff
freind: hahaha, that's not exactly eh
me: yes it is, isn't it?

i totally didn't think about how it would sound out loud, i was really serious, pj is my 'new' stuff

anyway, i don't expect any replies on this thread, cause it's not exactly a question, i just though it was funny and thought i'd share

that and i learned what a 'bend' is today, fun times!
No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    i think new music is any thing that a band has released recently. if there is a new bob dylan album then thats his new music. just because he's been around for a while, doesn't mean that makes the songs old.
  • You are trying to figure a song out, yet you have only just learned what a bend is!!?
    - EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0025
    - PJ avoid me like the plague
  • You are trying to figure a song out, yet you have only just learned what a bend is!!?

She's doing great! She's only been playing a few weeks. A prodigy!

I listen to all kinds of music. I have "TV on the Radio" on now, and their great! Also a band "Grizzly Bear". Both out of Brooklyn NY and pretty fresh and new.
    But I also like my brand new Neil Young disc. Live from 1973! :D

Tara, what Dead songs are you trying. I never use TAB,,, I guess I learned before there was TAB.
    I guess it's good if you want to learn a song, but if you get a bit of ear training and stumble through some songs,,, you can ween your way off TAB faster than you think and soon enough, you'll be able to play what's in your head.
    I can give you an idea of how to play a Dead song. They are indelibly etched in my head. If you're going to play those Jerry Garcia songs,,, you better learn that bending. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

the song is being figured partly on guitar (almost 2 months now), partly on flute (which i've played for about 15 yrs), and then transposed into guitar chords
    She's doing great! She's only been playing a few weeks. A prodigy!

I listen to all kinds of music. I have "TV on the Radio" on now, and their great! Also a band "Grizzly Bear". Both out of Brooklyn NY and pretty fresh and new.
    But I also like my brand new Neil Young disc. Live from 1973! :D

Tara, what Dead songs are you trying. I never use TAB,,, I guess I learned before there was TAB.
    I guess it's good if you want to learn a song, but if you get a bit of ear training and stumble through some songs,,, you can ween your way off TAB faster than you think and soon enough, you'll be able to play what's in your head.
    I can give you an idea of how to play a Dead song. They are indelibly etched in my head. If you're going to play those Jerry Garcia songs,,, you better learn that bending. :)

grizzly bear was on carson daly last night, i caught part of the set, not bad, not that i watch carson daly normally (i find him to be a bit of a tool), but i always try to catch any live music on tv.
    i'm trying to learn china cat sunflower/rider and a bit of terrapin (although i'm being lazy with terrapin and using the online stuff)
    the problem with the china cat/rider one is that they give their version of bobby's intro and then just give a few sparse chords, and i can't see anyone in that band standing up there and playing G/F chords for the entire song, i believe that jerry would die of boredom, so i'm assuming that whoever tabbed it meant that they play somehow within those chords. so i've managed to figure out my own version of bobby's intro, and then get a few chords in, but i'm kinda stuck, if you could give some insight that'd be great, otherwise, i'll just spend a bit more time with my head beside the stereo hitting 'rewind' once every 20 seconds :)

and yup, bending is fun, i didn't understand what ppl were talking about in the tab, then my finger slipped as i hit a note and a lightbulb went off 'wow, this sounds cool' as i played it overandoverandover for about 5 minutes
    Albert Einstein
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    new music is the horrible sound that comes out of your car's stereo when you turn the ttop 20 channel...
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    seanw1010 wrote:
    new music is the horrible sound that comes out of your car's stereo when you turn the ttop 20 channel...

Amen. Occasionally, if you turn on MTV before 8 AM, you'll catch a cool new video by TV on the Radio or Bloc Party or one of these newer bands that aren't so bad.

To Tara:
    I like your taste in the dead though, and i highly recommend getting further into the jam scene if you're not already a fan. Check out...

Phish
    Trey Anastasio
    The Benevento/Russo Duo (amazing)
    Tea Leaf Green
    Gov't Mule
    Widespread Panic
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • taratara Posts: 293
    Amen. Occasionally, if you turn on MTV before 8 AM, you'll catch a cool new video by TV on the Radio or Bloc Party or one of these newer bands that aren't so bad.

To Tara:
    I like your taste in the dead though, and i highly recommend getting further into the jam scene if you're not already a fan. Check out...

Phish
    Trey Anastasio
    The Benevento/Russo Duo (amazing)
    Tea Leaf Green
    Gov't Mule
    Widespread Panic

i hear what you're saying about late night/early morning, it's the same with radio, i can't listen to radio from 'morning show' time until 9 pm, it's the same 10 songs over and over
    yeah, i tried phish for awhile, they didn't stick, i found them to be a bit whiney at times. i'll go see if i can download some of that other stuff, i've been a long-time allman bros band fan, but somehow never got into gov't mule, perhaps it's cause my musical tastes are divided in 2, the high school period (dead, allman's, dylan, csny, hendrix, doors, joplin, zeppelin, santana, etc), and uni (pj, aic, ben harper, dmb, nirvana, soundgarden), the switch happened sometime in the early 2000's, so that may explain why i never got into govt mule, although i'm going back through my high school collection now, and seeing the allman's/haynes in new light (you'll notice that i never made it into the 2000's, (except breifly with the montreal/toronto sound), which is why i feel that pj are new stuff, i guess i feel that if you're still touring, you're new)
    Albert Einstein
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Don't sweat what other people are thinking. New music for you is what is new to you.
    Guitarists tend to learn guitar-centric music. There is no point in me learning a vocally driven song, cos I can't sing. Most new music is not guitar oriented, so it's not gonna be high on your radar. Old mate probably thinks you can play Pussy Cat Dolls on your git, buuuuuuuuuuut ya can't !!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
    Pussy Cat Dolls

shudder

i'm sure that he probably watches the videos for um, entertainment purposes, but i don't believe that i could be freinds with someone who listens to the pussycatdolls/nsync/etc, come to think of it, i have no idea what he listens to.

nah, i'm not sweating it, i just thought the reaction was funny, i was totally sincere when i said that pj was new, since i used to be into bands who broke up or died before i was even born, the fact that i can remember watching the jeremy video when it first came out means that pj are new, his reaction kinda made me think 'hey, i guess that they aren't so new' (i was 12 when the vid came out, and wasn't really buying music, otherwise i'd refer to remembering when the singles came out, instead of the video)
    Albert Einstein
  • Old mate probably thinks you can play Pussy Cat Dolls on your git, buuuuuuuuuuut ya can't !!!!!!!!

haha! Funny you should say that. :D
    I played "Beep" for some girls in my hood! It's Gm and F. The part that goes, "He looked at my Hoooooooo" is in a higher register of Gm11.
    I can't play the dancing part, though.

I'm teaching guitar and some music in my neighborhood. We're trying to get a music program going for kids and these girls were always singing that in the park in front of my house. They've moved on to a new song though..

Tara,,, you sure pick out the hard ones to learn. That's as challenge riff, but you can do it. I'll give the riff to you to china cat. I have to go get my guitar, though. I'll be baaack!
    Be kind, man
    Tara,,, you sure pick out the hard ones to learn. That's as challenge riff, but you can do it. I'll give the riff to you to china cat. I have to go get my guitar, though. I'll be baaack!

i guess, what would be some easier ones? i tend to just pick up my guitar after i hear a song that really gets my attention and try to play it, i don't think i'd be staisfied with playing 'when i come around', it'd be like time wasted

i just had an image of you sitting on the steps of a brownstone singing to the kids of a neighborhood (like that rolling stones video, i want to say 'brown sugar', but somehow i think that's wrong)
    Albert Einstein
  • tara wrote:
    i guess, what would be some easier ones? i tend to just pick up my guitar after i hear a song that really gets my attention and try to play it, i don't think i'd be staisfied with playing 'when i come around', it'd be like time wasted

i just had an image of you sitting on the steps of a brownstone singing to the kids of a neighborhood (like that rolling stones video, i want to say 'brown sugar', but somehow i think that's wrong)

Cool! I do that here! You should come on down. Or I'll come up! I have to play a beat in this neighborhood to get them interested..

The thing about Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir, is that they're a lot like Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood in that they interweave their chords amongst two guitars. It's amazing when you actually see it and hear it together. You realize how good they were together.
    Are you playing acoustic with a cutaway, or electric, or a regular acoustic?
    China Cat is possible, but it's in the higher register on the guitar. I can come up with an acoustic guitar version, though if you need.

Bertha's fun to play and sing,,, or Going down the road feeling bad.
    Be kind, man
    regular acoustic, i wanted an electric, but thought that i should be more practical for my first guitar (and the price jump on cutaways made them out of range, i did after all use my student loan to buy it). i'll give bertha a shot after i get some work done
    Albert Einstein
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    tara wrote:
    shudder

i'm sure that he probably watches the videos for um, entertainment purposes, but i don't believe that i could be freinds with someone who listens to the pussycatdolls/nsync/etc, come to think of it, i have no idea what he listens to.

nah, i'm not sweating it, i just thought the reaction was funny, i was totally sincere when i said that pj was new, since i used to be into bands who broke up or died before i was even born, the fact that i can remember watching the jeremy video when it first came out means that pj are new, his reaction kinda made me think 'hey, i guess that they aren't so new' (i was 12 when the vid came out, and wasn't really buying music, otherwise i'd refer to remembering when the singles came out, instead of the video)

I'm a lot like this. I missed PJ and Metalica when they first came out, cos music on teh charts was so bleeeeeh tht I was into Led Zep and Hnedrix, who I also missed first time around, cos i was too young. I am nearly alwayts yeasr behind everyone else before I get into bands. Even then I'm pretty thick. I got Yield, the bought LOTL, but probbly had it for 2 yrs or so before I learne to onjoy it. Now it's like oxygen. Same with Tallica. I started with Load, then bout TBA, and again took me ages to actually get into it. I think it is a sign of good endurnig musioc, if it doesn't bite at first, means it has depth and complexity.
    The new music you are not playing will be quickly forgotten I'm guessing. The other tihng about git fpr me is that I do it completely for myself and no-one else. I could learn to play Wolfmother, to pleasse other people, but I would be bored, and I'd rther learn Orion or Fatal or No Quarter, or something else obscure but worthwhile and satisfying.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • New music is anything that can be categorized by a combo of the following words; punk, pop, indie, emo.