Amp suggestions

chorduroychorduroy Posts: 72
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've had a Takamine G series for 5-7 years and have been playing out of a crappy old Gorilla AMP - am looking to upgrade as I feel the amp Im using now doesnt do the Guit any justice. Anyone have any suggestions/opinions of amps that sound good when plugging in an acoustic or electric guitar?.....Obvioulsy the more expensive, the better but looking to spend under $500.

thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chorduroy wrote:
    I've had a Takamine G series for 5-7 years and have been playing out of a crappy old Gorilla AMP - am looking to upgrade as I feel the amp Im using now doesnt do the Guit any justice. Anyone have any suggestions/opinions of amps that sound good when plugging in an acoustic or electric guitar?.....Obvioulsy the more expensive, the better but looking to spend under $500.

thanks
    What kind of sound are you looking for and what are you into? If it's an acoustic guitar amp you're looking for, Fender makes a couple the are popular...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Thanks..I'm huge into PJ and playing PJ tunes (then again who isnt on this board!) I was leaning toward Fender but wanted to get something that sounds good with both an acoustic and an electric as I have a couple acoustics now and will be adding a Strat to the mix soon.....didnt want to buy anything without getting any feedback ...I figure what better place to get feedback than on this site....
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Most peeps are going to reccomend that an acoustic guitar needs an acoustic amp, and electric needs electric. Personally, I don't mind plugging my acoustic into the clean channel of my electric tube amps, or even an OD channel, with the gain set really low, for a little sweet grit.
    Something like a Fender Blues Junior or possibly an Epiphone Valve Junior will give you a good platform to start from.

Something like a Roland Cube 30 has a very clean, clean channel, for acoustic use, and is a good elelctric amp, cheap, reliable, good range of tones and effects. They take pedals and effects units very well too.

Roland make excellent dedicated acoustic amps, but that will be less useful for your electric.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • My roc pro 700 works well and it's a Fender
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've never used an actual bonified acoustic amp at a show because I never had one, usually I just use whatever amp I had so I used to use my old 2x12 Fender Ultimate Chorus and an old Peavy Bass amp not that that's really a good idea.

I'll say what I say for most other needs. Plug in a few and play them. You'll need a great clean channel and you'll need to be very careful with feedback so you might look to get a sound hole cover to help with the feedback you will no doubt get.

Piezo pickups tend to get bright, it's one reason I like really clean bass amps.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.