My boyfriend wants a guitar for his birthday...

BridgeBitchBridgeBitch Posts: 87
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have no idea what to get him. I've been doing a lot of reasearch online and it looks like the prices range from $50 upwards to the thousands.

He would like an acoustic guitar. Cany anyone recommend a good beginners guitar that is under $150? And what about guitars that are acoustic/electric? Can they be played just as acoustic and sound the same as regular acoustic?

Thanks!
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

10/21/06 & 10/22/06 (Bridge Shows)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I highly recommend Art & Lutherie guitars for the price range you have. You can read more about them and locate a dealer here:

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/intro.htm

They're made in Canada by a pretty good company that makes other brand-names, so they know how to build. I've been playing guitar for 13 years, and I own (and love!) one of their guitars, the Ami model. I would recommend a Folk model as an all-around great beginner guitar, it's small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to sound good.

As far as acoustic/electric guitars, they are regular acoustic guitars that have been fitted with an electronic output so they can be plugged into sound systems, amplifiers, etc. Pretty much any time you see someone on stage playing an "acoustic" guitar, they are really plugged into an acoustic/electric. That's right, even MTV Unplugged was plugged in. I don't advise looking for an acoustic/electric in your price category, as you'll get a bad acoustic guitar with bad electronics. Focus on a good acoustic, and if your boyfriend really ends up playing a lot of guitar, he can take the time to figure out what he wants.

I'm sure other folks have other recommendations, so listen to everyone... and let us know if you need anything else. Good luck!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    any guitar in your price range will get the job done.
  • I highly recommend Art & Lutherie guitars for the price range you have. You can read more about them and locate a dealer here:

They're made in Canada by a pretty good company that makes other brand-names, so they know how to build. I've been playing guitar for 13 years, and I own (and love!) one of their guitars, the Ami model. I would recommend a Folk model as an all-around great beginner guitar, it's small enough to be comfortable, but big enough to sound good.

As far as acoustic/electric guitars, they are regular acoustic guitars that have been fitted with an electronic output so they can be plugged into sound systems, amplifiers, etc. Pretty much any time you see someone on stage playing an "acoustic" guitar, they are really plugged into an acoustic/electric. That's right, even MTV Unplugged was plugged in. I don't advise looking for an acoustic/electric in your price category, as you'll get a bad acoustic guitar with bad electronics. Focus on a good acoustic, and if your boyfriend really ends up playing a lot of guitar, he can take the time to figure out what he wants.

I'm sure other folks have other recommendations, so listen to everyone... and let us know if you need anything else. Good luck!
    +1
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Dont Get A Cheap First Act!!!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

THanks for the info. I found a dealer in seattle that sells the A & L guitars but it looks like those are running $329 - $450. A little over my price range. I have a question. I found an acoustic electric on craigslist for $150

This is the guitar http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/msg/429924213.html

any thoughts on it?
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I got my A&L at Kennelly Keys in Bellevue. I think it was $270.

Where in WA are you?

You might be headed in the right direction by looking for something used in that price range.
    THanks for the info. I found a dealer in seattle that sells the A & L guitars but it looks like those are running $329 - $450. A little over my price range. I have a question. I found an acoustic electric on craigslist for $150

any thoughts on it?
  • I have a question. I found an acoustic electric on craigslist for $150

any thoughts on it?

I played one of those once and it felt terrible. On top of that I really don't like the back. It's probably meant to sit better against your body, but to me it doesn't sound good. A wooden back just sounds so much better.

Just my two cents.
  • sennin wrote:
    I got my A&L at Kennelly Keys in Bellevue. I think it was $270.

Where in WA are you?

You might be headed in the right direction by looking for something used in that price range.

I'm in Poulsbo, so was looking at dealers in Seattle. I thought I might check some local pawn shops as well. Never know what treasure someone had to dump.

• I played one of those once and it felt terrible. On top of that I really don't like the back. It's probably meant to sit better against your body, but to me it doesn't sound good. A wooden back just sounds so much better.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the feedback. I really have to idea what is good or not so any input is appreciated.

• "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

• I'd avoid the Applause / Ovation guitars. Both are made by the same parent company on the same basic design, and the curved plastic backs are rather awkward. A few people love them, but most people hate them.

You'll get better bang for the buck if you look for used stuff, either on eBay and Craig's List (Seattle Craig's List is awesome), or in used instrument stores and pawn shops.
  • Update! Urgent Update!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/432382688.html

You're a quick trip up Queen Anne to the perfect match to your needs!

Edit: another one, a little more expensive, but it's in Federal Way and it's a good guitar...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/msg/428681258.html
  • Thanks guys! This is great! I love the ones on Ebay but am a little worried I wouldn't get it before his birthday on the 19th. I can certainly run to Seattle or Federal way for the two on Craigslist. Out of the two craigslist guitars, which one is better, ignoring price, as a musician.. which one would you get?

• I'd get the top one (the Art & Luthrie)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • yeah get him one
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Thanks guys! This is great! I love the ones on Ebay but am a little worried I wouldn't get it before his birthday on the 19th. I can certainly run to Seattle or Federal way for the two on Craigslist. Out of the two craigslist guitars, which one is better, ignoring price, as a musician.. which one would you get?

Takemine also makes inexpensive, but quality guitars. I have one and I love it. Its my baby. Ill upgrade someday , but for now I like the sound. As to the choices on craigslist. I would go with the Gibson if I had to choose. I would check it out first. Have the owner play a song for you though. Some guitars look healthy , but you cant tell of any fretboard damage with the naked eye. Just some friendly advice.sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Thanks for all the advice! I went to Seattle last night and took a look at the A & L that was for sale on CL. It was a beautiful guitar, sounded great and I bought it! I'll post pics of the happy boyfriend after his birthday.

Thanks for all of your help!

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Thanks for all the advice! I went to Seattle last night and took a look at the A & L that was for sale on CL. It was a beautiful guitar, sounded great and I bought it! I'll post pics of the happy boyfriend after his birthday.

Thanks for all of your help!

That's awesome! I'm sure he'll be happy!