just bought a bass guitar...

S.O.L.A.TS.O.L.A.T Posts: 56
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
yes its cheap and nasty.. no i dont know how to play anything but a bad rendition of Seven nation army by the white stripes i ripped off some dude whilst watching youtube. and was just wondering.. whast the most basic P.J song to play/learn.. I can read tab not sheet music.. but I've only had it a week lol... I'll keep y'all posted with how my progress goes.. lol
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    Alive is pretty simple. Nothing majorly technical in it....
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    miskin wrote:
    Alive is pretty simple. Nothing majorly technical in it....
    yes, the best to start with.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Alive is easy as hell to learn, but quite frankly not challenging. It is challenging yourself that takes you forward. I'd recommend Corduroy and after a bit of practice, say Oceans and Rearviewmirror.

I learned to play well from practicing like hell on Rancid songs (Roots Radicals, Old Friend, Time Bomb, Journey to the End of the East Bay and Lock Step And Gone), so i'd check them out.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    You should also learn all of Eric Avery's bass lines on Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction. They are all simple and pretty easy to play, but they are some of the coolest bass lines ever written in my opinion.
    something I liked to play when I started to play the bass is Rage against the machine.
    This is not complicated but it's also not too easy.
    I also started with RCHP (blood sugar sex magic). It was of course too complicated but it's maybe good to learn quickly. try a track like "under the bridge" or "suck my kiss"
    Give It Away actually isn't too hard to play, it just has a huge slide from the 5th fret to the 14th. It's a lot of fun to play, too. If you want a challenge, try the bass part to Around the World. That one is nasty.
  • S.O.L.A.TS.O.L.A.T Posts: 56
    thanks for all the advice guys.. like i said... I'm really new... and my fingers are better suited for world of warcraft not fine and fast for bass yet.. so keeping it easy and repetitive till i get an ear is what i was after.. :)...
  • S.O.L.A.T wrote:
    thanks for all the advice guys.. like i said... I'm really new... and my fingers are better suited for world of warcraft not fine and fast for bass yet.. so keeping it easy and repetitive till i get an ear is what i was after.. :)...

You know, Indifference would be a pretty simple bassline. I tought myself to play it on guitar in like 5 minutes.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    another good one is all those yesterdays and I second the RATM suggestion, Jeremy's pretty fun and easy to play, and the best easy fun song is by far My Sharona by the knack
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    Another classic that is easy, repetitive, and fun is Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin by Sly and the Family stone. It's just 4 notes, but it's super funky.
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    another good one is all those yesterdays
    indeed, "all those yesterdays" is a good one...
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Do Jeremy or Not for You to start with. It'll give you a good taste of rhythym and fill. I also suggest Rats to give you a "lead" type part so you can get the feel of that. After you're good on those, do Lukin or STBC for endurance. All of those are fairly simple riffs, but of course will take some practice. When you're all done with those, do Bushleaguer for melody. Jeff tears that song up.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Switch wrote:
    Alive is easy as hell to learn, but quite frankly not challenging. It is challenging yourself that takes you forward..

not challenging to you perhaps... but the guy just bought a bass.. give him a chance!!!

its challenging for someone who's just picked up a guitar... challenging in the respect it will take him a while to be proficient enough to play the song all the way through!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • When I started Bass the first song I learned was 'Last Kiss' also "All Those Yesterdays" is a great beginner song. To be honest all of Pearl Jam's songs you'll learn are pretty simple... want some fun play "I got Shit"!
    April 28, 2003
    May 3, 2003
    Camden NJ Sat May 27, 2006
    Camden NJ Sun May 28, 2006
    Washington DC Tuesday May 30, 2006
    E. Rutherford NJ June 01, 2006
    E. Rutherford NJ June 03, 2006
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    dunkman wrote:
    not challenging to you perhaps... but the guy just bought a bass.. give him a chance!!!

its challenging for someone who's just picked up a guitar... challenging in the respect it will take him a while to be proficient enough to play the song all the way through!

Alive really isn't challenging at all, not even for someone on their first go really.

I would recommend the program Guitar Pro. It's a tab program, but actually plays the music out for you...kinda hard to explain, but worth looking up. I find it the best way to learn.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Switch wrote:
    I would recommend the program Guitar Pro. It's a tab program, but actually plays the music out for you...kinda hard to explain, but worth looking up. I find it the best way to learn.

i actually *bought* that program as i had the trial version and i thought it was amazing!!!

you can slow down the songs and everything... i dont know where i'd be without it... actually i do... i'd still be doing fucking House of the Rising Sun :rolleyes:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ygohomeygohome Posts: 9
    pearl jam is not a very easy band to mimic or learn an instrument with... I recommend listening to fugazi records and I try to play bass along with those... alot of repetition in their songs. Particularly songs off their "instrument 10" record.
    Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Mike Watt, fugazi, Geraldine Fibbers, The Who, Mudhoney, The Evens
    .... These are a few of my favorite things