PJ guitar sound

ScarfishScarfish Posts: 25
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok so the situation is like this, I have a marshall avt 275, with a boss gt-8 a gibson SG Standard and a PRS Santana SE which i love, personally PRS are the best guitars in the world ...I like to hear from u some suggestions about getting the "exactly" guitar sound of PJ...I know that eddie uses a Hiwatt head 100 and personaly that amp sucks for a musician who wants to play different styles of music, mikes uses marshall and fender amplifiers,with the boss dm-3...If anyone here have the gt-8 i like to trade some guitar effects to helping get the same guitar Overdrive sound...thanks, see u soon :)
"Vocês são do caralho" Eddie Vedder 4/09/2006 Lisboa
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The standard PJ OD pedal is the Ibanez TS-9. If I remember correctly, you asked what kind of guitar though to use. Mike uses the Fender Strat (to get a sound like his, the TS-9 Wah, and a chorus like pedal for solos is ideal). Stone uses Les Paul's a lot so the TS-9 and wah are good for him. Both switch it around(with Les Pauls and Strats). Ed uses Tele's and SG's. He isn't known to use pedals though he has been spotted using the Fender Blender, TS-9, TS-808, and the BOSS DM(or DD)-3 Delay. Eddie also goes out of some Fender tube hot rods if I am not mistaken. Mike has a couple of Orange cabs too. I'd say with your set up, since you got the SG, you can probably get an Eddie tone off the bat. The PRS is a great guitar, Mike Einziger from Incubus uses it. The wah is a common effect in almost all types of rock and the Tube Screamers are also common. If you want versatility, I'd go with either a Marshall or Fender tube amp. You got the PJ sound and a bunch of other ones too. Good luck!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I remembered wrong...sorry
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • No problem :) thanks for the reply and for the suggestion..If anyone here have the gt-8 i'd like to listen more recalls
  • my guess is that since you already own the boss gt-8, you have already tried to get a good pearl jam sound with it, but you couldn't get a sound that you thought was good so you are coming on here to ask other people if they have gotten the pearl jam sound with it. well, i don't know what you would consider an "exact" pearl jam tone, so i can only go by what i personally would do to try to duplicate their sound as best as possible. in my opinion, as i think you have already found out, you will not be able to get a true pearl jam tone out of floor board effects processor and a solid state power amp. in order to use exactly what they use and come as close as you possibly can to getting their tone, you will need major dollors, but there are cheaper alternatives that will get you very close to their tone, if not exact to most people's ears. if i were you, i would sell that avt and floor processor and by an all tube amp and individual true bypass pedals. the peavey classic 30's are great amps for the money. down the road if you wanted to, they can easily be modified to make them even better. you can do a search on all the different mods that people have done to those amps. the main pedals you will need is a boost ( tube screamer or blues driver or something ) a rotary effect ( dunlop uni-vibe or something better ) a wah pedal ( dunlop cry baby classic ) a delay pedal ( dm3 or line 6 delay modular ) and an ernie ball volume pedal. keep in mind that most of pearl jam's pedals are modified. higher quality chips then stock or modified for true bypass or whatever. the sg will most likely get you closest to that sound you want, but a les paul and a strat is necessary to cover the pearl jam tone. especially a strat. mike's favorite guitar from what i understand is his 59 strat and i would say that mike and stone both use fenders together more so then gibsons together. the majority of their tunes blend the fender and gibson tones together, but the strat is VERY important for copying their tone.

some usefull links..

analogman.com
    robertkeeley.com/home.php
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Those guys could play anything and make it sound like PJ. The gear will get you about 50% of the way there...and that's it. How do I know? Well, I've owned just about everything they've ever played (aside from the Trentino's). A Gibson/Fender and a plexi will get you into the same sonic realm. It will be your voicings, touch, and pocket that get you the rest of the way.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    amp settings for yellow ledbetter:
    gain:3
    Bass:7
    middle:7
    treble:6
    reverb:3
    pickup:neck

sounds great with anything, really
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I was under the impression that you can download tone settings to a GT-8. I don't know any web-sites, but I am pretty sure you could find stuff easy.
    Of course, buying a tube amp and cranking the OD will get you a better tone quicker.
    I think it's more productive to put some muscle into your playing, than to try and mimic tones precisely.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Thanks very much for the reply...i have a near PJ guitar sound but i want a near exactly.Thanks for the help guys.I'm considering selling the marshall a buy a Vox what do u say guys...I already play in one and i love the sound :) thanks once again and sorry about my english