Got Money, Need Multi-track...

SpecificsSpecifics Posts: 417
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
probably the latest of many but cant be bothered to search, -) wanna spend about £500 ( i dunno $1000? again cant be bothered researching haha) have researched a little on digi multitracks but want u guys to tell me whats the best for my money?? want at least 4 tracks simultaneous record.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You're about to get a whole bunch of people telling you to get a new soundcard and some software for your computer. Don't listen to them. Get a standalone unit. I have a soft spot for the Roland VS-series but I believe the Korgs, Tascams and Yamahas are all perfectly respectable units. You'll be hard-pressed to find a unit that won't record 4 tracks simultaneously these days. The Boss BR units are probably the easiest to learn and have zillions of good effects but they won't help you learn how to record properly since they're all about shortcuts and "wizards". Don't buy a Fostex. They seem like a good deal but they save you money by scimping on A/D converters and preamps and all the other things that can potentially make you sound like arse.
  • Off the top of my head:

Korg D888: $700, 8 track simultaneous record (8 XLR w/phantom power and 8 TRS, any combination) 40 gig hard drive

Tascam 2488: $800 24 tracks, 8 track simultaneous, 4 XLR and 4 TRS. CD burner. I've heard mixed opinions of this. Many people say that it freezes up like a mofo, and apparentely the buttons breaking is very common. Research this one a lot and make an informed decision.

Look at the Fostex line, they have some inexpensive recorders that record 4 simultaneous tracks.

Other option is buying a more inexpensive recorder that doesn't record 4 simultaneous tracks, and buying a mixer and plugging it into 1 channel. More trouble than its worth though IMO.

You could also just go the computer route, hundreds of options here. Look on Musician's Friend.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?