Gibson SG

Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, im trying to save my money up for either a Fender Stratocaster, or a Gisbson SG. Im leaning towards the strat because it has the whammy bar. Can you purchase an SG with the whammy bar?..and also can someone lay out the differences for me. Because i dont want to spend a ton on a guitar and want something better that i couldve gotten in the first place. thanks for any help given
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    SG's look great and sound great... Strats are like bumholes.. everyone has one.

i loathe strats... well not their sound, more their ubiquitousness and their look
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • yes there are like arse holes but its down to sound at the end of the day

sg's are just power houses, get one with a bigsby trem, that would look so sweet.

strats are only worth havin if you want that sound, of sweet tones and good sustain but the sg are raw and rockin'

i'm a tele man but i'm thinkin of getting a strat, but would have to look different, a standard black and white or sunburst are just boring but get one thats beat up with intresting coulours

i've never got on the SG's cos the head seems far too heavy but a damn good sound

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Strats are great for soloing. SG's are AMAZGIN for rythm and pushing out sound. Depends what ya want but I agree-an SG with the bigsby...baddass
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • i'm a gibson man, and i think that the SG's versatility makes it an ideal primary instrument.

strats have always had more of a "situational" feel for me, but i'm sure that the fender fans would disagree.

you really have to decide which model fits you best as a guitarist. play many of each before buying...
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    They're just different, you can't argue either way. Strats are twangy and clear, while SG's are heavy and dark and will overdrive your amp sooner.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    They're just different, you can't argue either way. Strats are twangy and clear, while SG's are heavy and dark and will overdrive your amp sooner.

+1, they are more complementary than competitive.
    HUmbuckers, are so much nicer to live with than single coils, though noiseless singeles are obviously an improvement.

If i had to choose one only, I'd go with the SG. I could not deal with just singles, just a noisy rock guy at heart.

I'm kinda with dunky on the asshole thing, but if ya wanna take a shit, then it's then an asshole you need !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    i'm a gibson man, and i think that the SG's versatility makes it an ideal primary instrument.

strats have always had more of a "situational" feel for me, but i'm sure that the fender fans would disagree.

you really have to decide which model fits you best as a guitarist. play many of each before buying...

I agree. I like soloing with my SG over my Strat. I have a Les Paul too but the SG in my #1. It's the lightest too if weight is an issue.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
    I've always seen strats as more versatile. I haven't played my SG much, however.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Having just bought an American Strat, I'm a little biased.

For one, I HATE the arguement that you shouldn't get a Strat because everyone has one.... THERE'S A REASON everyone has one, they just plain kick ass. They're comfortable, look classic and modern at the same time, and sound great. Singles ARE noisy sometimes, but for clean tones you can't do any better. Even when distorted, they are much clearer, and you can hear every note. IMO they are less forgiving then humbuckers, but they sound better unless you're using a ton of distortion (and even then, look what Jimi did). SGs are great guitars, no doubt. IMO they are a little neck heavy though, and just don't sit right.

As for the SG with the whammy, bigsby's work, but they're nothing like a Strat whammy, more for subtle vibrato than diving. Hell, even Strat trems suck if they're not set up perfect. I think bigsbys LOOK fucking incredible, but in terms of actual fuctionality, I could take them or leave them.

Are you just looking at these guitars for the name? Because there are LOTS of guitars that give you two humbuckers and a whammy bar! IMO my Godin Freeway Classic combines both elements very nicely at half the price of both the options (even since buying the Strat the godin has been getting it's fair share of play). There are many other options as well (double humbucker strat? jackson?) that could serve you're needs QUITE nicely.

Mainly though, it's up to you, go out and play a TON of different guitars before you make up your mind. The kind of amp you have/sound you want factors into this as well, as the Strat and the SG are completly different animals.

Wow, that's my longest post ever! Keep us updated on your hunt!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Gotta agree tha there are a ton of other brands out there which will almost ceratinly give you a better quality guitar for the money. They just won't be made in teh USA.

I also agreer that Bigsby's are a good look, and not really a proper whammy. Subtel vibrato just about sumd it up. They can also be a PAIN in the ass to change strings on. Don't even think about doing it on teh fly in a stage situation.

Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, Carvin, PRS SE series, Washburn, Michael Kelly etc all make very good guitars at very good prices.
    ESP ltd MH series includes some super guitars. Nice thing about EMG pups too, is that they have this 5 pin plug thing, and it takes aboaut 5 secs to chanage a pup. Ya don't even have to take the strings off. Just loosen em a bit, 2 screws, pup comes out in your hand, unplug/plug away you go, takes about 5 mins the first time you do it. So you haev the option to throw a humbucker size P90 style thing in the front if you want a change to a single coil sound. So long as you are going passive/passive, or active/active, that's all there is to it.
    There are lots of gits with HSH, with coil splitting switching as well, so you can have your double humbucker cake and eat out of phase single sounds for dessert if you want.
    Personally I don't like middle pups, cos I hit them with the pick when I am playing metal, but plenty of peeps luv em !!
  • get a strat all an sg is is a lighter and a pos of a les paul
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    get a strat all an sg is is a lighter and a pos of a les paul
    Well, that's certainly cleared things up for everyone.
    I disagree TOTALLY...as much of a strat man as I am...the SG is amazing..
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm a strat fan too, mine sounds just fine and is super reliable, but, it does not compare to my SG. My SG is a few pounds lighter than my strat, comfortable, reasonably solid, gorgeous neck, lightening fast fretboard, the tone is perfect, this guitar is awesome...thats the only way to describe it. It plays beautifully, its light as hell and it kicks ass.

Blows anything else i've played out of the water.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    My next electric purchase will be an SG.
    I like the sound of SGs, but not the feel.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    my next purchase will either be a cs336 or an sg.
    i hate the look of sgs, the way they sit, and they are way too light.
    that being said, the tone kicks ass. as much as i loathe the looks of an sg, im still getting one. why? they have the most badass tone ever!
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    seanw1010 wrote:
    that being said, the tone kicks ass. as much as i loathe the looks of an sg, im still getting one. why? they have the most badass tone ever!

Have a look at the ESP Viper series. They are an SG style, but have a slightly assymetrical body shape, a little thicker, great pups.

I've had mine for a few years, and still love it. Quality wise, they are right up there with Gibson. The LTD versions are a lot cheaper, the Japanese ones are dearer, but very nice.
    seanw1010 wrote:
    I pretty much agree.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Like Lucylespian said, there are a lot of other good brands out there.

I just got my Godin LG Signature 2 weeks ago and I love the hell out of it. 2 awesome high output Duncans with coil splitting making it a versatile guitar. The only thing I'm having to get used to is the huge frets. I guess it'll be a good thing when i learn to not press as hard on the neck.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Like Lucylespian said, there are a lot of other good brands out there.

I just got my Godin LG Signature 2 weeks ago and I love the hell out of it. 2 awesome high output Duncans with coil splitting making it a versatile guitar. The only thing I'm having to get used to is the huge frets. I guess it'll be a good thing when i learn to not press as hard on the neck.

It's so nice not being from the US, opens up so many possibilities !! LOL !!

MInd you, some Aussies will consider it a national crime not to buy Maton or Cole Clark !!