Fender Telecaster

Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I went into a shop today, and decided to try out the strat. I dont kno whether it was out of tune or what but I didnt really like the sound it got, and i decided against the whammy bar I think. I then played the telecaster and I really fell in love with the sound. I decided that that's the guitar I'll probably buy. What I'm wondering is does the Tele work decently well with distortion?..or is it just for pure sound. The selling point of the strat is that it can play any sound well basically. What can the Tele do besides have the pure sound it seems to have? This will be my first electric guitar, and i have to save up for it. I just need some opinions to make sure i dont regret my decision. Any help would be great and truely appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Save you is two tele's. That should answer your question :)
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I like my tele a lot. I feel like I can play "strat" songs like Little Wing (i try, anyway) and Yellow Ledbetter on my tele and capture the same tone with a slight, but equal difference. They sound good distorted also. For Pearl Jam references, "Save You", "Love Boat Captain", and "Rear View Mirror" are 3 songs that have been done with both Stone and Mike playing Teles. They did this quite a bit with other songs during the Riot Act tour. Live at the Garden/Live at the Showbox will show you that. Anyway, great guitars. Very versatile, despite the popular stereotype of it being a country guitar. Plus as someone said on an older thread, it's very cool and also surprising to see someone wailing away on a tele when you'd expect a strat.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    that person on the other threat that was mentioned in the post above was me. i have a g&l asat classic (the g&l version of a standard tele) and i love it. it gets great clean sounds, as well as great (although somewhat unique) distorted sounds.

one thing about the tele that can be a good thing or a bad thing is the way it seems to amplify your mistakes. on one hand, it forces you to play more accurate, but on the other hand, when you do mess up, it seems to make it more noticeable. (i noticed this myself and have had others back me up. some disagree, though.)

i just got my first strat (highway one), and although i play that more than the tele right now, i definetly think the tele will make a comeback. it just feels right to me.
  • Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
    alright!..i appreciate the help. Yeah that pretty much seals the deal that the Tele will be my first electric. I just love the feel and sound of that guitar. and with the distortion cleared up i believe that makes me wanna get it even more. thanks for the help
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Teles are cool guitars. Personally, I don't dig them, but they ARE excellent. IMO they are just a little twangy at the bridge. Are you going Mexican or American?

Strat's can't play ANY sound, but their sound is more suited to everything, if that makes sense. I myself am a strat man.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
    um, im getting standard..is that american made?..or not. i dont really know.
  • ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee