Your first guitar

Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, i just bought my first electric guitar a month ago (Fender Tele..sweet guitar)..and its now starting to get a tiny bit scratched up at the top..like little spots are coming up there..only when light reflects on it. Does this come about that quick?..or am i not taking care of it? (its like my baby and sits in a stand next to my bed.) This happen to you all with your guitars?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    sounds like you are playing that sucker. all played guitars get marked up a bit, with pick scratches etc. don't sweat it.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Depending on the guitar's finish, you can usually buff out little scratches. I have even buffed out large scratches using polishing compound for cars. I have a good book at home that gives you lots of techniques to remove scratches. When I get home from vacatiion, I will post the title and author.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    WD40... Works a treat... Juuuuuuuuuust kidding.

Unless anyone has any other ideas you could try this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/for-Fender-SCRATCH-REMOVER-Telecaster-TELE-USA-Guitar_W0QQitemZ220132476931QQihZ012QQcategoryZ47069QQcmdZViewItem
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    So, i just bought my first electric guitar a month ago (Fender Tele..sweet guitar)..and its now starting to get a tiny bit scratched up at the top..like little spots are coming up there..only when light reflects on it. Does this come about that quick?..or am i not taking care of it? (its like my baby and sits in a stand next to my bed.) This happen to you all with your guitars?

I don't think it's possible for someone to regularly play a guitar and not get a scratch on it, don't sweat it.
    And if I was you I wouldn't spend time or money getting out the scratches, they'll just come back.
    What you can do is after playing it each time wipe down the whole guitar with a 100% cotton rag, then store it in its case whenever it's not being played.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    When I was in my late teens, I was playing in my bedroom and went to put my guitar behind my neck to play ala Hendrix. I accidentally put the headstock in the path of the ceiling fan and put a pretty good ding in the headstock. I was upset about it at the time, but now I love that it has that dent. It gives the guitar more character.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I can't even tell you how many scratches are on the pickguard of my Strat. Too many to count, including some nice gashes at the top. Luckily that's kind of what the pickguard is for.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Scratching it doesnt matter really, as long as it sounds like you want it too then you're good to go.

If you break the fretboard.... well then you have a problem. :p
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    First guitars are meant to get scratched, don't worry about it. They add character. When you get a few more guitars it's always fun to use your first one as a bit of a 'throw about' guitar.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Guitars are meant to be played, and hard. Not sit on a stand looking pretty. Take a bite out of it: http://www.srvrocks.com/srv17.jpg
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I would only be worried if it got to the point where it looked like this:

http://tsom.us/v-web/gallery/albums/album01/trigger2.jpg

But even that doesn't stop one certain musician. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    My bass has a huge dent in it from when my strap broke on stage. It fell pretty hard. Shook up the electronics a bit. I got the internals fixed. Wouldn't dream of trying to get rid of any of the scars though.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me