Pedal order

Kegzy05Kegzy05 Posts: 93
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys I know lots of these topics have been posted and your probly sick of my threads but here goes. What order do you think i should have these pedals in? My pedals are so far/will be (once i buy the rest)

Ibanez modded ts9
Boss Od-3 Overdrive
Eventide "Timefactor" Delay
Eventide "Modfactor" Modulation pedal
Boss Ac-3 Acoustic simulator
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Ernie Ball Stereo Volume pedal
Boss Ge-7 Equalizer
Boss Cs-3 Compression/Sustainer

thanks for your help :)
"I dont question, our existence
I just question, our modern needs"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kegzy05 wrote:
    Hey guys I know lots of these topics have been posted and your probly sick of my threads but here goes. What order do you think i should have these pedals in? My pedals are so far/will be (once i buy the rest)

Ibanez modded ts9
    Boss Od-3 Overdrive
    Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    Boss Ge-7 Equalizer

I don't know about all those but you want your delay closest to you amp. Also, have the guitar-wah-then overdrive. With the AC3, you can get a nice "Jeremy-hamer" tone.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Kegzy05 wrote:

Ibanez modded ts9
    Boss Od-3 Overdrive
    Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    Boss Ge-7 Equalizer

I'd go Guitar, Volume, Wah, TS9, OD3, CS3, AC3, Modulation, Delay, EQ ----amp

at least to start with. You will have to try variations. Sometimes I like the Modulation before Overdrive, right after the wah(which is also modulaton but you get the picture), you might try that too.

Delay is almost always at the end for me. I like the idea of EQ at the end to correct things. You can put the volume anywhere I think, I just like it right near my right foot, because that's what I'm used to.

You're also going to need to see how the compressor effects the AC3 and OD's. It might play better before the OD's I'm not quite sure.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Kegzy05 wrote:
    What order do you think i should have these pedals in?
    Ibanez modded ts9
    Boss Od-3 Overdrive
    Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    Boss Ge-7 Equalizer

Setup on these is fairly standard with just a couple exceptions (the EQ and Volume).

EQ: Maybe you need more highs in certain parts of your song, or more bottom end. The EQ processes the sound
    of the pedals before it and boosts or cuts frequencies to get you the sound you want. You generally place the
    EQ after the wahs, compressors, and overdrives. However, it can sometimes be used like a compressor to hit your
    distortion harder for more sustain, or to compensate for low output pickups, so it can be used right before the
    overdrives. In theory, however, the EQ is most effective right after the Overdrive in your pedal chain. The Acoustic
    Pedal is basically just another type of EQ pedal - I'd probably put it after the EQ - you wouldn't really want to use
    the EQ and Acoustic pedal together, so it doesn't really make a difference which one comes before the other.

VOLUME: Until two years ago I always used two Volume pedals (one at the beginning of my chain, and one at the
    end). The beginning Volume allowed me to keep playing and adjust how hard my guitar hit the pedals without having
    to reach for the volume and disturbing my technique (now I just reach - it's not that difficult to learn how to reach
    with your pinky without disturbing you technique that much). So I've basically dropped using the Volume pedal at
    the beginning and just started using my guitar's volume instead. I've placed the Volume at the end of the chain to
    controle the overall volume hitting the amp - this way I can still have my OD's up full, their tone doesn't change, and
    I'm just limiting how much volume actually hits my amp, not my OD pedals - with a Volume pedal before the OD it tends
    to effect the drive of the pedal, thus change how the pedals sound (and I'd rather controle that with my guitars volume).
    Having the Volume Pedal at the end of the pedal chain is also better for nice volume swells, and as an overall sound kill.

Remember, there are no rules, and whatever makes the sound you’re after is how to do it.
    However, if you use these guidelines you’ll keep noise to a minimum, and give your pedals the optimum signal
    characteristics they need to work their best
    I'd set it up like this:

Guitar--> Wah--> Compressor--> TS-9--> Overdrive--> EQ--> Acoustic--> Modulation--> Delay--> Volume

Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I'd have switch the OD and TS9 Around since it's moded.
  • thanks guys. would a set up like that suck much of my tone? I think the eventide stomps and the ts9 are true bypass and the boss ones are buffered or whatever.
  • I don't think so...especially since theres no digitech in there ;)
    The only pedal that may give you some "tone suck" is the Crybaby since it isn't a true bypass pedal.
    I still don't understand why Dunlop doesn't True Bypass these pedals and put a small LED on them.
    I don't really know anyone gigging these days that still uses batteries, and it's an easy enough MOD to do.
    It'd probably cost them less than $1 to do it, and they could charge $10 more and people would pay it.

- Ian
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    The only pedal that may give you some "tone suck" is the Crybaby since it isn't a true bypass pedal.
    I still don't understand why Dunlop doesn't True Bypass these pedals and put a small LED on them.
    I don't really know anyone gigging these days that still uses batteries, and it's an easy enough MOD to do.
    It'd probably cost them less than $1 to do it, and they could charge $10 more and people would pay it.

- Ian

hell they already pay 30 more for the inductor
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:

- Ian
    Actually, the Cry Baby 535Q IS a true bypass pedal to my knowledge. The box and website say it is, my signal passes through when it has no power to the pedal and it doesn't affect my tone.
  • Actually, the Cry Baby 535Q IS a true bypass pedal to my knowledge. The box and website say it is, my signal passes through when it has no power to the pedal and it doesn't affect my tone.
    I think Ian was the who wrote sometime ago that "true bypass" nowadays is different from actual true bypass. I don't know for sure what the 535q is but nevertheless, be careful, it might only be "60% true bypass"
    Actually, the Cry Baby 535Q IS a true bypass pedal to my knowledge. The box and website say it is, my signal passes through when it has no power to the pedal and it doesn't affect my tone.
    uhmmm, that's funny ;)
    There's been a lot of debate on this - the 535Q is supposed to be, but not really. It has an OPamp in and output
    buffer, and I've read "Hardwired" which is good marketing, that doesn't mean True Bypass (I think they're trying to
    jump on that popular TB bandwagon, but I think it's more like 85%). And the other newer crybaby models have a
    single pole switch instead of true bypass; Using single pole switching instead of true bypass adds a load impedance
    which actually affects the tone. I'm curious, where does it say True Bypass??? Here's the manual:
    click here: Dunlop-535Q Manual - it doesn't say True Bypass anywhere in there.
    Take a look at the schematics - that's the only sure-fire way of knowing. It wasn't even possible to do True Bypass
    with the older 18volt 535Q , but the newer 9V ones are a little different, and can come close, but I don't think so.

- Ian
  • Any suggestions on how to power them all? I am under the impression that the crybaby and the eventide stomps would need their own power supply?
  • Kegzy05 wrote:
    Any suggestions on how to power them all? I am under the impression that the crybaby and the eventide stomps would need their own power supply?
    1Spot + Daisy chains. Those are amazing. I use three
  • Would I be able to get one of those in australia? I googled it and i cant really find anything. I could get one shipped over from u.s but dont you have to have a step down transformer or something for 240v power?
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    http://www.lytpedalboards.com/1spot_9v_power

These guys sell all kinds of 1spot plugs, since you're in Australia, I don't know if that would be European style or UK style. That's all I know of.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Bump
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...