attenuator?

pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I need to get one, my HRD sucks when i cant overdrive the tubes past 2, plus, hopefully ill be living in the city in a couple of months so i cant have it loud. I know THD has some but they are really expensive, any others out there for a little cheaper for my 40 watt tube?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pnjguy wrote:
    I need to get one, my HRD sucks when i cant overdrive the tubes past 2, plus, hopefully ill be living in the city in a couple of months so i cant have it loud. I know THD has some but they are really expensive, any others out there for a little cheaper for my 40 watt tube?

http://www.tedweber.com/

see MASS.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    My Weber Mass should be here any day now!
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    Thanks, should i get a 100W? And tell me how you like it when you check it out! Thanks again.
    I was suggested the 50w for my 40w tube.

...and correction....I got the 50w Mini Mass....not the Mass.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Let me know how you like it Sennin. It's on my list but I'm dirt-poor at the moment. Have to wait a few months.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Fedex just stopped by and dropped off my Mini Mass!

Can't wait to plug it in tonight after work!
    sennin wrote:
    Fedex just stopped by and dropped off my Mini Mass!

Can't wait to plug it in tonight after work!

Yes, let us know how it is, I'm wanting to sell mine and get the new version with the tone switch.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will love the way the clean channel sounds cranked.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yes, let us know how it is, I'm wanting to sell mine and get the new version with the tone switch.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will love the way the clean channel sounds cranked.

I hope so! I haven't had that thing cranked since I replaced the stock tubes with JJ tubes!

Apartment dwelling kinda sucks! :p
    ok....
    Got it hooked up....

1. Suprised about how quiet it is! Have everything cranked to 11 on the Hotrod Deluxe and it's QUIET. The mini mass is on 10....there's no way that the neighbors can hear it.....I can still hear me strumming pretty well.

2. Suprised on how dirty the clean channel sounds....which I suppose makes sense when everything is cranked. But if I back the volume down to the point where I get really clean sounds.....I can barely hear it.

3. AWESOME tones out of the amp.....just wish it were a little louder!

4. What is the "Bypass" supposed to do? Because it doesn't seem to do anything.

5. The +6 treble switch helps out alot.

6. I wish there were just a little more volume. I've gone from the point wher e "1" is too loud....to "11" is too quiet.

+ on the tones
    - on the volume!

.....maybe I have this thing hooked up wrong?? :p
    Things are getting ever better tone wise! Still low volume....but sounds sweet!
    you should be able to adjust the attenuation pot for a little less attenuation.

I
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    you should be able to adjust the attenuation pot for a little less attenuation.

I

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I sent off an email to Ted Weber this morning.

I was able to adjust the amp/guitar to the point it was really sounding sweet! A little more volume and it will be perfect!
    sennin wrote:
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I sent off an email to Ted Weber this morning.

I was able to adjust the amp/guitar to the point it was really sounding sweet! A little more volume and it will be perfect!

hmm, he might say you need the 100 watt version.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    something's not right here. if the amp's crank and the attenuator is dimed, it's still going to be loud as shit.

check the connections.

amp output -> input of minimass -> output of minimass -> speaker

you're not plugged into the line out are you? because that would explain why the bypass switch isn't doing anything and why it's very quiet.

plug the speaker into the output jack. the line out jack is for direct recording or slaving into another amplifier.
    exhausted wrote:
    something's not right here. if the amp's crank and the attenuator is dimed, it's still going to be loud as shit.

check the connections.

amp output -> input of minimass -> output of minimass -> speaker

Amp is at 11 and Weber is at 10....Gain 11, Master at 11....

I can't get above bedroom level volume.

I unhooked everything and hooked it back up.....I'm going to try it again tonight.....maybe I do have something crossed, but it's a pretty easy hookup.

*shrug*
    see my edit about the line out jack.
    exhausted wrote:
    you're not plugged into the line out are you? because that would explain why the bypass switch isn't doing anything and why it's very quiet.

plug the speaker into the output jack. the line out jack is for direct recording or slaving into another amplifier.

It was labled pretty clearly...."To Speaker"...."From Amp"....."Line Out".

I'm going to unhook everything when I get home tonight. Maybe I have the "To Speaker" running to the wrong spot? I think there are 2 ports right next to eachother.

it's just the only think i can think of unless the unit is defective.

and don't take it the wrong way. it is simple but i used to have a THD hotplate and had it backwards for a while. :o
    exhausted wrote:
    it's just the only think i can think of unless the unit is defective.

and don't take it the wrong way. it is simple but i used to have a THD hotplate and had it backwards for a while. :o

I just downloaded the manual for the amp.....I might be plugged in to the external speaker....not the main speaker. :o
    My bad! I was hooked up wrong. :o

The Mini Mass is the real deal!

I just played until I could smell my amp burning!

:D
    That's great to hear, I'm less skeptical now. Soon as I have the $$ I'll give it a try too. What amp are you playing through again?

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    That's great to hear, I'm less skeptical now. Soon as I have the $$ I'll give it a try too. What amp are you playing through again?

Hotrod Deluxe

Volume @ 7, Gain @ 5ish.....pure yummy!

:p
    Ted Weber just sent me an email that says....

"Yowzah...."

:D
    sennin wrote:
    Hotrod Deluxe

Volume @ 7, Gain @ 5ish.....pure yummy!

:p

Nice. at those settings you should be getting that creamy fender overdrive goodness. Play around with the volume control on your guitar a bit too you can roll it off for cleaner tones.
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    sennin, good to hear that it has work out. Im in the same boat you are, HRD is just to f'in loud for my apartment, and i dont want to sell it. Im guessing that you're going to keep it. So 50 watt mini mass will do the trick for the 40 watt HRD?
    I think so, any more than 40 watts and you'd have to upgrade to a 100 watt version. Weber says something about the amp having power spikes or whatnot so that during peak periods (something to do with the root mean square) the amp can actually put out more than its rated power, and you still want the attenuator to handle it. For instance, if I ever got the 50W Fender Bassman I've had my eye on, I'd need 100W attenuator to handle the 50+ watts it can put out.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    I think that the 50w mass is good for the 40w htrd. I had the amp on for about 3 straight hours last night.

The only small issue I had was the length of the speaker cable. It's only about 12" long, so it barely reaches out of the cabinet. I ended up setting the mini mass right inside the cabinet. It fits perfect inside, the knobs and switches stick out the open back....but I may end up replacing the speaker cable so I can set it on top of the amp, or next to it, to make it easier to adjust.....and just in case there are any heat related issues. I don't want the attenuator to heat up the cabinet too much.....but you'd think that the tubes could handle it, and it is an open back, just a precautionary measure.