5-string guitar playing

gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i recently pulled my my guitar out of storage after 3 years. i haven't played a lick in all that time. depression, or something.
i'm a beginner/intermediate. but, i do some fantastic shit sometimes when i'm stoned.

anyway. after all this time in storage i pulled my guitar out of it's case to find that the bottom string had fallen to pieces. it's gone.

then my creative side kicked in. what if? can i re-tune it to play full chords? can i create a new scale with five strings?

of course i can.

i am the world's only 5-string guitar player.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Bob Marley played 5-string...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Bob Marley played 5-string...

I'm on the right track then.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Keith Richards.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I think I read somewhere that the B-52s' guitarist (whose name, shockingly, I don't know) plays with just three.
    Jeeze
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Keith Richards.

really?

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    gue_barium wrote:
    really?

Yes.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    max cavelera used to only play with 4 (or so i was told) and im pretty sure john butler only uses 5 for alot of his slide work. (or it could be someone else im thinking of)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    the guy from Crazy Town (Butterfly, Toxic) played without his high E string
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • The day Lennon met McCartney, Lennon had four strings on his guitar, in a banjo tuning.
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    The day Lennon met McCartney, Lennon had four strings on his guitar, in a banjo tuning.
    weren't they friends from grade school?
  • scot88 wrote:
    weren't they friends from grade school?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/60sseason/documentaries/dayjohnmetpaul.shtml

Have a listen to the archived show here! It's good!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Keith Richards.

He plays in a lot of tunings, but one of his main ones is open G on his Tele.
    He took the low string off so that the next to lowest string is the root (G) He even had the guitar nut and bridge altered so the strings are evenly spaced.

Tune that sucker to GDGBD and have at it!

Try this:
    Strum once open, then finger this and strum. (Low string at the bottom)

There's Keith there, although he didn't invent it, he sure made a living off those two chords right there! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Tune that sucker to GDGBD and have at it!

Try this:
    Strum once open, then finger this and strum. (Low string at the bottom)

There's Keith there, although he didn't invent it, he sure made a living off those two chords right there! :D

Which brings us back to teh very first argumanrt I had on this board with FPC about how I though Keith could not be thought of as having great chops cos the fucker couldn't even play with 6 strings.

There's also a guy called Jimmy Bower who plays in Superjoint ritual who plays without the high E and B.

BTW gue, youi just might want a new set, if teh 6th string has disintegrated, the other 5 are gonna sound like shit!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Keith Richards very first Zemaitis guitar only had 5 strings.

http://www.zemaitis.net i believe

(Art with strings)
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    buy a new set of strings. even if you just want to play 5 strings, you stil need a new set. the guitar has not had a string change in 5 yrs, so you really need a change
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    buy a new set of strings. even if you just want to play 5 strings, you stil need a new set. the guitar has not had a string change in 5 yrs, so you really need a change

Haha, this is the bottom line, gue. Get another string, and let's jam online. There are ways and means of doing this.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Without totally hikacking this thread, cos it's still talking about Keith Richards, I need to ask FPC if he still resprects Keith after hearing the story of how he tried to sabotage Hendrix' career by getting that rich chick who was helping him abducted by her father ??

I sure lost a lot of respect at that point.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Without totally hikacking this thread, cos it's still talking about Keith Richards, I need to ask FPC if he still resprects Keith after hearing the story of how he tried to sabotage Hendrix' career by getting that rich chick who was helping him abducted by her father ??

I sure lost a lot of respect at that point.
    What happened??????!?!?!??!!

We're hijacking another thread...

On topic, get new strings!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    What happened??????!?!?!??!!

We're hijacking another thread...

On topic, get new strings!

There was this rich chick in New York or Greenwich Village whose name I can't remember, who was obsessed with the blues, and was helping Hendrix get established by introducing him to people and stuff. Trouble is, she was an ex-girlfriend of Keith Richeards, and he was jealous as shit, of the man and his music most likely. So Richards writes to this girl's father and tells him his daughter is hangin out with a black drug addict, so Dad sends an agent over, and using old English law, takes her home and puts her under house arrest.
    So Hendrix career was threatened by this.
    So, despite the fact that I used to love Richards plyaing and riffmeistery, I now consider hims to be an incompetent hack who can't even deal with 6 strings.
    I posed the question to FPC, cos I know how much he reveres Hendrix.
  • On the string thing I thimk Kurt Cobain used five on the something in the way recording.
    the vocal man for CKY ocasionally uses a guitar with only the low three

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
    On the string thing I thimk Kurt Cobain used five on the something in the way recording.
    the vocal man for CKY ocasionally uses a guitar with only the low three

I think it was six for Kurt but it was a shit guitar. If you notice, the Chello is out of tune with the guitar because the guitar was terrible.