Grunge Out of Seattle

QuitokidQuitokid Posts: 14
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey!! I'm from Ecuador, excuse me because my English is very bad. i have listened Grunge and specialy Pearl Jam about 5 or 6 years. Here in my country there is a new band called Alicia se tiró por el parabrisas, they said that their genre is grunge in Spanish. It's not as well as seattle's grunge but it's ok. I want some help because I have a band and I can't compose a good grunge I need some tips I'm new here and I want to have many grnge friends.

I think that's all. Please answer me!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I dunno if it's the broken (but understandable) english but this post makes me laugh :)

Anyway,.. tips tips tips..

Lots of minor chords... It depends on what you're going for, really. I consider Alice In Chains' Dirt the quentessential 'grunge' album. Good riffs, moving chord structures, strong vocal melodies.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I dunno if it's the broken (but understandable) english but this post makes me laugh :)

Anyway,.. tips tips tips..

Lots of minor chords... It depends on what you're going for, really. I consider Alice In Chains' Dirt the quentessential 'grunge' album. Good riffs, moving chord structures, strong vocal melodies.

You just said "quentessential" to a man from Ecuador. Think about it.

Haha kidding aside, if grunge is what you like... i wouldn't think about writing a grunge song. Just start messing around with your guitar and your influences should make it come out. It might come easier after a few days of listening to some Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AIC, etc.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    minor chords, try fiddling with your tone controls(turn them down), neck pup on most parts, play sorta hard :)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    There is no such thing as grunge !!

PJ/Soundgarden/NIrvana were really just guitar bands without spandex at a time when music was heavily synth driven.

They wore flannalette cos they were poor and Seattle is cold.

Grunge is really just honest rock, played by poor people from cold cities on pawn shop junk, until they could afford better clothes, then it became honest rock played by rich people on expensive vintage gear.

So, stay honest, stay poor, and stand in teh fridge, unless you have a handy mountain to provide the cold.

Oh yeah, being miserable from a fucked up family helps !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    As others have said, listen to as many bands as you can.
    Also, try playing with as many of your favorite "Grunge-Type" songs as you can (saying it like this also makes me laugh :)).
    When you've played the style long enough, it’ll kind of coalesce with your own style of writing/playing.
    Don't try to write in that "STYLE", it'll sound a bit trite/banal - it's more of a feeling - just let it happen naturally - let it flow from within you.
    Okay, I'm sounding a bit tooo JEDI right now :o
    Dude, just listen to a bunch of music - have fun with it - you'll be fine.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    PJ/Soundgarden/NIrvana were really just guitar bands without spandex at a time when music was heavily synth driven.

Not really. LOL.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Drop-d tuning!!!
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    The BOSS DS-1 is a good pedal for 'grunge'. Power Chords and emotion really. Just basically rock out, do what feels right. If you REALLY wany grunge, go about 5 weeks without a shower or changing your clothes :) Anyway, just do what feels good, keep listening to music you like and it'll come out in your own stuff.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • gue_barium wrote:
    Not really. LOL.
    As funny as lucylespian's post was I agree with him.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"