Gibson Les Paul Standard

dimitriherremandimitriherreman Posts: 115
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey , I'm lookin for a new guitar.
And I like the Gibson LP allot.
It's like the ultimate "dreamguitar".
But i'm 15 and live in Belgium.
And if you want a Gibson you can buy a LP for a little more than 3.000 euro.
(euro = almost same like dollar)
So thats allot of money for me , and my parents say i have to save for it , because i'm not getting money from them.
I have seen a Epiphone LP in the local store for 520 euro.
I really really wan't a LP , and that epiphone has my attention now.
But i would hear some opinions from you guys.
Is the Epiphone a good guitar as a substitute for the real Gibson LP ?
Or should i get starting to save money??

Greetz!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have an Epiphone LP (about $500) that works fine for me, but I'm a beginner and I've never played a Gibson LP before. The good thing about Epiphone LPs is that as long as you get one that you like the feel of, you can have a great guitar by putting in Gibson pickups to make it sound nearly identical for a fraction of the cost.

But, there are much cheaper Gibson Les Pauls than just the standard model. The LP Studio goes for around $1000, and there's a new faded Studio model that goes for about $800. If you really want the Gibson name without spending many thousands of euros, than you should go with them. If you just want a great LP for a cheaper price, go with an Epi Standard (or better) and replace the pickups later if you want.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    I have an Epiphone LP (about $500) that works fine for me, but I'm a beginner and I've never played a Gibson LP before. The good thing about Epiphone LPs is that as long as you get one that you like the feel of, you can have a great guitar by putting in Gibson pickups to make it sound nearly identical for a fraction of the cost.

But, there are much cheaper Gibson Les Pauls than just the standard model. The LP Studio goes for around $1000, and there's a new faded Studio model that goes for about $800. If you really want the Gibson name without spending many thousands of euros, than you should go with them. If you just want a great LP for a cheaper price, go with an Epi Standard (or better) and replace the pickups later if you want.

I got youre point , but I can play guitar.
    I have learned to play the guitar with a washburn x10.
    I check it out , but I really want the sound of a Gibson.
    I always look on the website of the store , and I find the Standard LP and others , but then i must go to 3000 euro and more , dunno for you guys , but thats allot of money.
    I really don't want another beginner guitar
    So if I change the pickups ?? Then i would a Gibson LP sound with an epiphone? But if you say its a beginners guitar... I'm blocked
  • There are several options for you!

The Epi like DOSW says, can be a nice guitar. That model usually has a bit cheaper wood,,, the maple top is very thin, I think like less than a quarter of an inch. It's almost a thin laminate. A Gibson has 1/2 inch thick maple top.
    You'll want to change the pickups eventually, and the hardware maybe maybe not, but the price is right and you can have a great time with those!

These Epiphone Elitists were made in a different factory in Japan and discontinued. THe new models are now about $1200 US here.
    THe discontinued seem to run around $600 to $900.00 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Elitist-Studio-Japan-w-Hard-Case-MIJ_W0QQitemZ300046186902QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have the full 1/2 inch maple top which brightens the sound some and the hardware is great! The neck is a 50's thick neck which a lot of people like, but I like slimmer necks.
    The pickups are decent. I have one and put new pups in it mainly because I had them around and wanted to see how different and that guitar screams!!! You probably would have to get that off Ebay as I've never seen one in a store for sale.

The Les Paul Classic is a great guitar, too that not many people seem to know about.
    It's Gibson, and basically the same thing as a Standard but has a 60's slimmer neck which I love. The pickups are hotter than on a standard. The bridge is a screaming pickup Jimmy Page style. I backed it off to quiet it down a bit, but you may like that if you are a rocker!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic_W0QQitemZ270051134608QQihZ017QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They run about $1300 to $1800 and I think it's a great guitar for those who don't want to shell out $2500 for a Standard!

I don't know the availability in Belgium, though.

The Studio is a great guitar, too! They are Mahogany and no maple top, and I find them to sound a bit different, but that's just taste.

So there are your options!

If you DO go with the Epi,,, just look it over really well for fret work and how well it's put together. Play it and play it and listen to it, and get the feel of the neck, too.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Either way you go, you might wanna check out http://www.2dehands.be or http://www.kapaza.be for used guitars. You can get an Epiphone for 250 euro's and Gibsons from 1.250 euros if you look around and luck out.

here's an Epi for 325 euros (you can always try to bargain)
    http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/elektrische-gitaar/17341116-epiphone-les-paul-standard.html?start=15

an upgraded Epi for 580
    http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/elektrische-gitaar/17340462-les-paul-standard-plus-2.html?start=15

Epi gold top for 350
    http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/elektrische-gitaar/17323207-epiphone-les-paul-gold-top.html?start=45

Gibson
    http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/elektrische-gitaar/17312369-gibson-les-paul-classic.html?start=60
  • Hey Who's Pearljam & Casper. Thanks for the answers.
    I think I figured it out, I'm an amature guitarplayer , so I'm not gonna spend thousands of euros on a Gibson.
    I think i'll buy a Epi Lp standard and put Gibson pups in it with time.
    I'm only 15 , so why would i spend all my mony on a expensive guitar , if i can receive the ( almost) same sound with a budget guitar.
    I can always buy the real Gibson in time...
    Only I have still one question.
    Does the Gibson LP Classic with the 60's slimmer neck , like you talked about who's pearljam , excist in epiphone model ?
    Maybe that would be interesting to check out...
    Anyway , thanks allot so far , you guys really helped me.
    And thanks for the links , but i'm not found of used guitars.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ~Dimitri~ wrote:
    I got youre point , but I can play guitar.

dude you're 15 years old and scared of upstrokes ... trust me... you CAN'T play guitar :D;)

only kidding btw :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ~Dimitri~ wrote:
    Hey Who's Pearljam & Casper. Thanks for the answers.
    I think I figured it out, I'm an amature guitarplayer , so I'm not gonna spend thousands of euros on a Gibson.
    I think i'll buy a Epi Lp standard and put Gibson pups in it with time.
    I'm only 15 , so why would i spend all my mony on a expensive guitar , if i can receive the ( almost) same sound with a budget guitar.
    I can always buy the real Gibson in time...
    Only I have still one question.
    Does the Gibson LP Classic with the 60's slimmer neck , like you talked about who's pearljam , excist in epiphone model ?
    Maybe that would be interesting to check out...
    Anyway , thanks allot so far , you guys really helped me.
    And thanks for the links , but i'm not found of used guitars.

I think you'll do fine with an Epiphone!
    You can always upgrade things later, if you feel the need to do that.

I don't know if they have the slimmer neck on the Epis off the bat. If they're in a shop, sit down and play one and see how comfortable it is. A big fat neck is good for sustain and longer fingers, but very tiring if your hand doesn't fit, so make sure the neck is right for you!

15 eh? Eric Clapton joined the Yardbirds when he was 17 so you're right on track! :cool:
    He was considered the greatest guitarist in the world at 20 years old with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. That's what put the Les Paul in front of the world, one picture and one album.
    Be kind, man

only kidding btw :)

As nasty as that was, just saying 'But I can play guitar' was a prick thing to say.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    if you upgrade the pickups and tuners on an epiphone, you're going to be in about $200-$300 extra. so at that point, why not get get a Gibson LP Studio? the Studio is the exact same as the Standard. only difference, the pickups are different (not better, just different models) and the Studio doesn't have the fancy trim. according to Musicians Friend, the Studio DOES have a maple top. but the Studio is $1000 US and the Standard is $2400.
  • I eventually want an LP standard, IF I get a job.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    The other good thing about Epiphones is that there is a very diverse selection of them for cheap prices. I personally wouldn't recommend going any 'lower' than a Standard, but for a couple hundred euros more you can get Customs, Gold Tops, Ultras, Black Beauties, etc. My LP is an Ultra... the main differences from a Standard are it's lighter chambered body and body contour on the back. It also has different pickups and is drop-dead gorgeous.

Anyway, the point is, if you're uneasy about a Standard, then you can always get a more expensive Epi. Of course, I'm speaking of the selection over here in the US... I can't speak for what's overseas.
  • My favourite Epi is the Gold Top with the P-90s!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    ~Dimitri~ wrote:
    Hey , I'm lookin for a new guitar.
    And I like the Gibson LP allot.
    It's like the ultimate "dreamguitar".
    But i'm 15 and live in Belgium.
    And if you want a Gibson you can buy a LP for a little more than 3.000 euro.
    (euro = almost same like dollar)
    So thats allot of money for me , and my parents say i have to save for it , because i'm not getting money from them.
    I have seen a Epiphone LP in the local store for 520 euro.
    I really really wan't a LP , and that epiphone has my attention now.
    But i would hear some opinions from you guys.
    Is the Epiphone a good guitar as a substitute for the real Gibson LP ?
    Or should i get starting to save money??

Greetz!
    if you cant play upstrokes yet, i really dont think you should even be looking at a les paul studio, let alone a standard, no offense.

i would reccomend the epi les paul ultra-sounds good for the price(i think its 499$) and it's got a chambered body so its a lot lighter
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    DOSW wrote:

I have a Studio and love it. I upgraded to a Gibson LP Classic but hardly play it. I still stick to the Studio. The Studio is basically the Standard without all of the bells and whistles.
  • Every guitar plays differently. Try it out. By the way, Epi's are starting to cross over Gibsons.. Good luck
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • You guys talk about a couple hundred euros less or more like it's nothing.
    I have a job in the holidays and the saturday , the longest time thats legal to work for me is 8 hours/day.
    1 houre = 7 euro
    so 1 day working = 49 euro
    Half i may spend on what ever i want from parents , other half go to the bank.
    thats 24.5 euro thats left for one day working.
    Not mutch...
  • I think the Epi is a very viable option for a newer player. I have played one quite a bit and found it to be a great sounding, great feeling guitar. Its hard to beat these LPs for the price.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I would look at Heritage H-150 and Tokai LS-150, much bigger bang for the buck.
    There are some other builders on Ebay worth a look as well. If you are past the Gibson name and looking at budget get your moneis worth :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • JofZ wrote:
    I would look at Heritage H-150 and Tokai LS-150, much bigger bang for the buck.
    There are some other builders on Ebay worth a look as well. If you are past the Gibson name and looking at budget get your moneis worth :)

Those are definitely great options. I don't know how available they are in Belgium.
    When you hear the amazing work that Robert Fripp has done and look at what he plays,,,
    A Tokai Les Paul style. :cool:

Ok, well this dude isn't making much money, so maybe an Epi is a good way to go if you're in the few hundred dollar range in Belgium. DO check out the Tokai there, though, and consider a used guitar. Tokai is pretty international and you may see them there. If you find one in good shape, then you can get a much better deal, and some used ones may even have upgrades like pickups and all.
    Most of the non-Gibson Les Pauls don't go up in value, so you can get a great benefit by buying used.
    Be kind, man

There's one store in the country that sells Heritage, but they ain't cheap. €1700 is the cheapest.

http://www.jtguitars.be/NEW/Heritage/Aanbod%20heritage.htm

If you look here and scroll down, you'll even find an original '59 strat :cool:
    http://www.jtguitars.be/Aanbod/Aanbod.htm
    ~Dimitri~ wrote:
    You guys talk about a couple hundred euros less or more like it's nothing.
    I have a job in the holidays and the saturday , the longest time thats legal to work for me is 8 hours/day.
    1 houre = 7 euro
    so 1 day working = 49 euro
    Half i may spend on what ever i want from parents , other half go to the bank.
    thats 24.5 euro thats left for one day working.
    Not mutch...

You were talking about saving for a Gibson. I think most of us figured that you'd be willing to save money for different Epiphones.