Problem with "Alive" tab

dimitriherremandimitriherreman Posts: 115
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi , I have a question about the "Alive" guitar tab.
If I play the intro everything sounds ( in my opinion) pretty nice , but it stil needs some practice.

But I can't do this

|

|

|0-/7---
|

How do you do that , a slide with no beginning ?? I do like a hammer on the open string that is ringing, and slide then to the seventh fret .
But you barrely hear it and it doesn't sound right.

Can someone help me and explain me how you get his done ???

Sorry if I asked a stupid question , but I really wan't to know how it's properly done...

Thanks Dimi.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its not a stupid question my friend... i've had probs with tab notation in the past and the only way around this one for me was to actually watch Stone doing it on one of the many youtube vids :)

its a slide but i do it from about 4 or 5th fret if memory serves.. (but the concert footage shots really helped me
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It's a very subtle slide. If you want to make it easier you could probably even leave it out and just play the note at the 7th fret.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • So just a slide until you reach the seventh fret ??

If i may continue , I have a another question about the "slide" then ...( sorry)

A slide with no beginning , how do you do that , it's very quiet if you just put youre finger on a string and begin to slide ...

Is it wrong if you slide and while you slide hit the string ???
    ~Dimitri~ wrote:
    So just a slide until you reach the seventh fret ??

If i may continue , I have a another question about the "slide" then ...( sorry)

A slide with no beginning , how do you do that , it's very quiet if you just put youre finger on a string and begin to slide ...

as said above.. its subtle.. but basically, but very quickly, you need to hit the open string and then go from the 5th fret and slide up to the 7th.. try it out until you can get it.. it should ring out a note and not be quiet.. its not quiet because you should be sliding the open string

i hope thats right, someone will correct me otherwise.. but thats what i get from the tab and from watching Stone do his thang :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Sorry that I'm not one of the fastest people to get things right...

But you could say its like this
    ----
    ---
    ---0----h5-s-7
    ----

( but if you touch the string on the fifth fret , dont push to hard(very soft hammer-on) , and if you approch the seventh fret push harder ??? )

That's my interpretation right now...
    yes.. thats pretty much how i think Stone does it

my GuitarPro tab goes like this

2-2-2
    2-2-2
    0h7h9
    0-0-0---5h7

• Ok , thanks for helping me out , I really appreciate it .
  • yeah just slide from 5 to 7...i'm pretty sure that's what he does

stone looooves sliding around and he loves to groove
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I just start the slide from wherever my finger is at the time, usually the 4th or 5th fret to the 7th.
  • Thanks everyone :)
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    ~Dimitri~ wrote:

to answer those 2, the slide is not going to sound quiet if you have the volume and distortion up and the right levels. also, it's not going to sound right if you hit the string halfway down the slide.

I usually play that Am chord and then start sliding from 2nd or 3rd fret, but how those other guys said will work fine too.

it's good to have GuitarPro or to actually play along with the cd so that you can hear and then rewind back and hear again exactly what's being played and how it should sound.
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    most of stone's riffs are all based on groove, and you cant get the from a tab nor can a tabber tab that out.

I hammer on an A chord, then slide from the 3rd fret with my middle finger, but i don't know that im doing that when i do it.

Another is animal, i love that groove.

It took me a while to get evenflow down, and it had nothing to do with the notes i was playing.

keep playing. :)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    A slide with no beginning like this is very common. When you play teh A chord that precedes it, the A root will keep ringing. The slide with no beginning that follows is played in one smooth motion where teh string is struck and your finger needs to be moving when it lands on teh string and keep gliding swiftly along until it STOPS on the desired fret with a definite stop to articulate the note at that point.. It's very quick, the note needs to be voived and the short quick moving slide all needs to happen in a mo. So, you don't really play a 5-7 slide, that will produce a different voicing. The finger will usually land on the string around the 4-5th fret, but it is crucial for this move that it is moving upwards as it lands. Now this sounds a little tricky and it is at first, cos your finger will tend to roll off or land on the wrong string etc, until you get teh hang of getting it moving in the exact direction that it will keep moving in. From memory I used my pinky for this part in Alive when I first learned it, cos that bought me some time in getting my hand up the neck, and set me up into a good posititojn for the next part pf the phrase on the A string.
    For a real work out with this tecnique, combined with 1/4 tone bends and octave picking string skipping, grab the correct tab for metallica's King Nothing and learn the intro to that, nearly gave me grey hair, but forced me to really develop all those techniques. Then if you are really game, learn the verese part, that really gets your hands moving and sliding all over the place up and down the neck. No riff will ever seem hard again.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • my goooooooooooooodness. just play it! :D
    ThisIsNotAnExit
    my goooooooooooooodness. just play it! :D

I'm guessing that sarcasm was directed at my attempt to be helpful. If he could "ujust play it" , surely he would not post asking how.
    Why is teaching so disdained ??
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I'm guessing that sarcasm was directed at my attempt to be helpful. If he could "ujust play it" , surely he would not post asking how.

I support any advice given. Ken has been a very helpful contributor to the M&GH forum, and to me personally. I myself am learning a lot, and would rather have 10 different answers for a question rather than one, or even none. Maybe Dimitri will find that pnjguy's way is easier or that dunkman's method sounds better to him... thanks for all of your input. I've always been playing it...

e
    B
    but now I have a few other ways to try it and see what
    G-2
    appeals to me, and i didn't even start the damn thread.
    D-2
    7-9 7 Thanks for all your input guys. After all, what would this
    A-0--5/7
    forum be if we didn't post?
    E
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    I support any advice given. Ken has been a very helpful contributor to the M&GH forum, and to me personally. I myself am learning a lot, and would rather have 10 different answers for a question rather than one, or even none. Maybe Dimitri will find that pnjguy's way is easier or that dunkman's method sounds better to him... thanks for all of your input. I've always been playing it...

e
    B
    but now I have a few other ways to try it and see what
    G-2
    appeals to me, and i didn't even start the damn thread.
    D-2
    7-9 7 Thanks for all your input guys. After all, what would this
    A-0--5/7
    forum be if we didn't post?
    E

Actually, I think that is how I play it too, but I kinda asnwered the question about a slide with no begining witthout looking a tthe tab. I learnt from teh TEN book, whch tabs it as you have. I'm thinking that I reach for that 5th fret with my pinky co it saves time coming up from teh open A, and my hand is moving fast, cos it's gotta keep going to get teh 7th fret across on the A string, so it could easily sound like a slide with no beginning.
    MMMMMnn , I'll check that when I get home .
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    hey dude

i was exactly like you when i first learning guitar started 1.5 years ago, i wanted to learn the alive riff and i had no idea when i saw the tab. its pretty much been explained by the guys above, but one thing i will say is thats its all about the timing! if you listen to stone he plays the A note and lets it ring out for about almost a second, then he quickly performs the slide and plays the other notes. this is how i play it. i play the A note with 1 finger (pointing finger) fretting the G and D strings, let it ring for almost a second, then with my 3rd finger (4th if you include the thumb as the first) i slide from wherever it feels comfortable (normall around the 3rd or 4th fret) to the 7th and continue from there. as stated before, make sure your finger is already moving when you start the slide or it wont sound right, dont hammer on fully then slide.

also remember its about the timing and also the groove. its a very funky groovy riff and when you play it properly you should 'feel' it being groovy, thats when you know your playing it right. have a look on youtube search for pearl jam alive or something and you will see how stone plays it, try mimik that. good luck!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • I'm guessing that sarcasm was directed at my attempt to be helpful. If he could "ujust play it" , surely he would not post asking how.

take it easy man, no sarcasm at all.
    I hoped "just play it" could be a helpful advice as your tabs were.
    (you see, my english needs advicing too) :)

Grand Bow,
    Guild.
    ThisIsNotAnExit
    I hoped "just play it" could be a helpful advice as your tabs were.

i have no idea how or why you'd think that advice could be helpful!!!

"er how do i drive this tank sir?"
    "ahh you just drive it"

I've always preferred Rosencrantz ;)
  • dunkman wrote:

"er how do i drive this tank sir?"
    "ahh you just drive it"

"er, any difference between the 3'1 gauge howitzer and the 3'2 to bomb down that bunch of daisies????"
    ;)

I've always preferred Rosencrantz ;)
    youuu fool ;)
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • ~Dimitri~ wrote:
    Sorry that I'm not one of the fastest people to get things right...

But you could say its like this
    ----
    ---
    ---0----h5-s-7
    ----

( but if you touch the string on the fifth fret , dont push to hard(very soft hammer-on) , and if you approch the seventh fret push harder ??? )

That's my interpretation right now...
    ^ bingo ^

Though really it doesn't matter where you start as long as you get there in this case.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Yeah, i was just having a fiddle to se if I had cocked up my explanation, and it all happens very quickly. There is no tme to linger to define teh E on teh 7th fret.
    As above, bingo, you pretty much have it !!
  • Thanks everyone , didn't think that I would get so much help and explanation from you guys .

So thanks again! :D