Vinyl???????

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can someone please tell me what you think Pearl Jam sounds like on a record? Should I cross over and add a turntable while I am building my home audio system???

if so...please list the turntable I should get.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Tackalac wrote:
    Can someone please tell me what you think Pearl Jam sounds like on a record? Should I cross over and add a turntable while I am building my home audio system???

if so...please list the turntable I should get.....

Awesome on vinyl, I definitely recommend buying vinyl of not just them but many bands. I have a couple of these, they have been great for me

http://www.numark.com/tt200
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Awesome on vinyl, I definitely recommend buying vinyl of not just them but many bands. I have a couple of these, they have been great for me

http://www.numark.com/tt200

What kind of difference do you experience........??

And is there a difference in sound between turntables once you get past the low end models??
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Tackalac wrote:
    What kind of difference do you experience........??

And is there a difference in sound between turntables once you get past the low end models??
    It's like listening to Pearl Jam for the first time all over again...BUT BETTER! You hear so many new things!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    It's like listening to Pearl Jam for the first time all over again...BUT BETTER! You hear so many new things!

Really?? Well.....I am going to be obsessed now.....I have to get the Into the Wild on Vinyl and start searching for all the albums....Recommendations on turntables for this kind of music...I literally have no idea where to even buy a turntable.....
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    If you have a clean record and a good stereo.........nothing sounds better than vinyl. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and The Doors records are my favorites to listen to on vinyl. Check out some sites online, otherwise check out a music store or guitar center for turntables.

http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/1/132/
    This is a good site
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Tackalac wrote:
    Really?? Well.....I am going to be obsessed now.....I have to get the Into the Wild on Vinyl and start searching for all the albums....Recommendations on turntables for this kind of music...I literally have no idea where to even buy a turntable.....
    I don't know too much about buying or where to buy but (if you like th style) Jazz and Blues sound AMAZING...Radioshack or garage sales have good ones.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Tackalac wrote:
    Really?? Well.....I am going to be obsessed now.....I have to get the Into the Wild on Vinyl and start searching for all the albums
    vinyl is the root of all evil. it sends people crazy. if you need further clarification, head on over to the porch and read some of the threads there about it ;)

i don't understand some peoples fascination with vinyl, but i do respect that everyone has different opinions. i do agree that vinyl sounds 'different', almost like a more warmer, fuller sound. the cd after listening to vinyl is more of a 'digital' sound. For me, I like that i can take my cd's anywhere, copy them as many times as i like. If you scratch your vinyl then you're screwed.

good luck finding into the wild on vinyl, or any other pj album for that matter. ebay have them for ridiculous prices if you are keen though. there's one into the wild there at the moment for $130 with 25 bids so far. I guess they are the 'serious collectors'.

don't be put off by that though, like someone else suggested, check out some of the reasonably priced vinyl that other bands have to offer.
  • Def get one.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • IMO vinyl is currently superior to any downloaded music and most CD's but the rub is it does need to be well preserved and does deteriorate when played.

If you have the Beatles catalog on CD you have stuff that was mastered for digital in the late 80's way before the technology improved to the point it is today (still inferior to vinyl) and the vinyl records are markedly superior in quality. For more recent recordings the delta is not so noticeable.

The other major downside to vinyl obviously is portability so I find myself coveting the very best stuff on vinyl and buying redundant digital copies. If you aren't that into being an audiophile type dont bother with records.

Finally, for me, it's more about the fun and feel of putting the needle down, and handling and collecting the records than anything else. I am old enough to have lived in an age when there was no such thing as a CD and a cassette tape was a new novelty item so it's a nostalgia trip for many of us as well....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran