Help with audio clips for assignment?

comical_imbalancecomical_imbalance Posts: 42
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi all

To cut a long story short, I need to create a very involved animation for an assignment at university. I have chosen to do it on a Major Scale.

I don't have the hardware to record sound from my guitar, and I have looked all over the web for samples. What i really need is a heap of 1 to 2 second sound clips (pref in mp3) for each note on the guitar. (ie 12 frets on 6 strings = 72 clips)

Anyone have any ideas where i might find these? Any help much appreciated.
Cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just to clarify:

I'm not asking for someone to record the clips for me...
    I have done a fair bit of searching on the web. I find free mp3s difficult to search for, as there is so much advertising and stuff associated with ringtones etc etc

I just thought someone from here might have stumbled across a cool guitar tutorial site that had reference tones or something.

Cheers
  • I don't know,,,, but you have a great screen name!

Ok, I just bought an edirol recorder. I never tried it before, so maybe my practice would be this! I'm new to getting music into a computer but old at guitar and I need to figure out how to do this stuff!

Would it work doing it on one clip, or do you need one separate mp3 for each note?
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Thats great if you can pull it off, but its no hassle if it all gets too hard!

Cheers for the comment on the screen name, it was once the name of our basketball team. (no one else in the team got the joke though!)
    Their loss...
    hehe
  • Well, if it's electronic and digital, it's too hard for me,,, but I GOTTA get digital someday so I'll do it!

This is a little MP3 recorder and somehow I get it into my computer and somehow I send it out. Haha,,, I hope you don't need it tonight!

But I'll be glad to give it a go.

Do you want electric, acoustic? And how long is best for each note?
    I can play a note, damp it, then pause and do the next, etc. Or whatever you need.
    Be kind, man
    rest for maybe 2 seconds betwen notes (so i have room to chop them)
    starting at E on the E string --> high E (13 notes per string)
    repeated for each string

if you need to palm mute/damp the end of each note, thats cool, i can fade it down to avoid each note ringing for too long.

you, my friend, are an absolute champion!
    no, i don't need it tonight. i need to get it all chopped, labelled, and inserted into my animation early next week however.

if you could give it a bash, that'd be sweet. if it gets too much - let me know and i'll make other arrangements.

cheers!
  • Ok, Got it!!

I actually just tried my little Edirol 09 recorder and got it to play in I-tunes.
    It's in wav files,,,, but I know it'll record in MP3 so I'll give it a go tomorrow.
    It can record in anywhere from mp3 64 to 320, or wav 16 bit or 24. so whatever's best for you.

Haha, like I know what all that means ^ , but it's about time I got around to learning it!
    There was a bit of hiss on it, so I'll work on that, too.

I'll try it on both. An ES355 through my Deluxe Reverb and an acoustic Taylor.
    Be kind, man

champion!
  • bps,,,, I guess that's bitrate.

Ok,,, I'll work all that out tomorrow!

Cheers!!
    Be kind, man
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • puremagic wrote:
    These may be of some help to you.
    Thanks man, i found a winner.
    Sounds a little bit artificial but thats cool for what i need.
    http://www.ababasoft.com/music/guitarscales.html
  • Haha,,,,

I did it,,,, but I guess puremagic came through!

Puremagic ALWAYS comes through! :cool: Hello to you, and I hope all is going great with you, Pure!

Well, I did record it and it's in my computer and ready to email if you'd like it! Just send me your email address and I'll shoot it over.
    It's an ES 355 in Fender Deluxe.

Check it out, and if you need anything different, I'll do it. It's easy now that I can use this confounded thing!

Cheers!
    Be kind, man

I just got your PM, Comical, and I'll send it to you right now.
    Be kind, man

Bob?
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Buru wrote:
    I'm curious to know how this went, since I was present for some of the process... :D:D:D

Bob?

Haha!

Well, It went better than when I was first doing it when you were here!
    Honestly, I DO know how to play the guitar, it just doesn't seem like it sometimes! :D

(Comical Imbalance sent me a little computer graphic with a bouncy green finger pointing at the notes. HAHA,,,that was nice work a good laugh right there. :cool:)

Now we're working back and forth through email to work out the greatest animation and song ever written in the history of mankind!

Annnnnnd, Buru,,,it was SO great to have you here. You came in with a beautiful sunset, and out with another beautiful sunset.
    Be kind, man

Well, It went better than when I was first doing it when you were here!
    Honestly, I DO know how to play the guitar, it just doesn't seem like it sometimes! :D

(Comical Imbalance sent me a little computer graphic with a bouncy green finger pointing at the notes. HAHA,,,that was nice work a good laugh right there. :cool:)

Now we're working back and forth through email to work out the greatest animation and song ever written in the history of mankind!

Annnnnnd, Buru,,,it was SO great to have you here. You came in with a beautiful sunset, and out with another beautiful sunset.

haha I KNOW you can play guitar (even with cold fingers!!) :eek: :p
    following that green bouncy hand was hard though :D

It was great being there, man that green bouncy hand made me laugh
  • Buru wrote:
    haha I KNOW you can play guitar (even with cold fingers!!) :eek: :p
    following that green bouncy hand was hard though :D

It was great being there, man that green bouncy hand made me laugh

Haha,,, that was a great sunny afternoon sitting with you on the roof, plinking out whatever I was playing in the chill.
    Quite a bit of music has sounded off that roof and bothered the neighbors! Especially with the full drum kit and bass amp and my Mesa Boogie! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/bands/DSC01405.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/bands/DSC01407.jpg
    Be kind, man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/bands/DSC01405.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/bands/DSC01407.jpg

I'm sure at least your jazz loving neighbour loves it
  • Buru wrote:
    I'm sure at least your jazz loving neighbour loves it

That's true! :cool:

So it was cool! Recording guitar for someone on the other side of the world! I heard some of the results, and if Comical Imbalance checks in,,, he should post the piece he did. It's pretty funny!

And by the way, what I used was an Edirol 09. It's the size of a deck of cards and records through two built in mikes that are really clear.

my new foray into finally going digital at this age! :D

http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09/
    Be kind, man

Firstly, Bob is a champion.
    It all worked out really well. I was having some sync issues, so i had to do some fancy editing to chop every note into individual files, instead of a string of notes (make sense?)
    I would post it on here if i knew how, and if i thought anyone would get more out of it than just a laugh. ;)
    As far as guitar tutorials go, its pretty lame. It was meant to be more about animation techniques, than the guitar subject matter. Funniest thing about that, was that I had to learn Flash first!

The most fun i had, was cutting together (hastily) a clip of Bob on stage playing rearviewmirror. With all the outtakes, i could just about release an album for Bob.

If youre keen on a listen, PM me your email and i'll send it through.

Cheers all.
  • I'm glad that worked out.

Under a deadline, yet!
    That was a lot of fun! I learned how to use that little recorder pretty quick, and that thing records so cleanly that I sat and listened to how sloppy I've become!
    I think I talked into that thing more than I played.

I think it's great that you are pretty much on the exact opposite side of the planet than me. About a hundred miles out in the ocean from you is the farthest from Delaware, here.

You are as far away as you can get from me, and yet I got that stuff recorded for you faster than I can get this little project I want to do with my own band in my own house!
    The miracle of digital technology! :D
    Long distance procrastination!
    Be kind, man

Under a deadline, yet!
    That was a lot of fun! I learned how to use that little recorder pretty quick, and that thing records so cleanly that I sat and listened to how sloppy I've become!
    I think I talked into that thing more than I played.

I think it's great that you are pretty much on the exact opposite side of the planet than me. About a hundred miles out in the ocean from you is the farthest from Delaware, here.

You are as far away as you can get from me, and yet I got that stuff recorded for you faster than I can get this little project I want to do with my own band in my own house!
    The miracle of digital technology! :D
    Long distance procrastination!

haha, if you want an international backing vocals singer... just give me a call
    :D

comical imbalance, I'm curious to see the end product and Bob's clip!