I've got mold on the pickup and bridge of my guitar

Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a fucking idiot and have had my guitar stored in a damp environment. It's looking like I'm going to take my guitar in and get the bridge and pickup, which both have a bit of green mold on them, replaced. Does anybody on here know how much money this will cost me? My guitar is a Epiphone, Les Paul if that helps.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Matty Boy wrote:
    I'm a fucking idiot and have had my guitar stored in a damp environment. It's looking like I'm going to take my guitar in and get the bridge and pickup, which both have a bit of green mold on them, replaced. Does anybody on here know how much money this will cost me? My guitar is a Epiphone, Les Paul if that helps.
    Depends what you want. By that, I mean it depends what kind of pickups you go for.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Do they really have to be replaced? How about scraping the mold off, go at the affected area with some steel wool and leave the guitar in a ward dry place for a while? If it does need replaced the cost totally depends on the type of parts you want to replace the existing ones with.
  • I have rust all over one of my guitars. Just take it in and get it cleaned/set-up.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Depends how much you wanna spend, and what type of Epiphone LP you have.
    If it's a Special, Studio, 100, or another cheapy type Epiphone, you might as well get another guitar.
    A decent pickup and Tune-O-Matic style bridge typically costs around $150 for both (the price of a cheapy Epi).
    However, as others have said, you can get them cleaned, or better yet clean it yourself (it's not that hard to do).

BE VERY CAREFUL putting the guitar in a warm dry place (as said earlier) since that can crack your guitar, especially after being
    on the wet side. The best thing to do for that is put it in a normal temp/humidity room and let it gradually come back up on it's own.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • It probably isn't mold on the bridge and pickup. If it is, take some naptha (Rossignol cigarette lighter fluid in the yellow and blue can at the drugstore) and some Q-tips and that'll kill it.
    If it's green, then it's most likely some corrosion from the dampness and the lighter fluid may still work. I would take the strings off and get some cotton cloth and that fluid and rub the corroded parts down and clean it up a bit.
    You can get electronic parts cleaner in an aerosol can at radio shack and spray into the tuning and colume pots and moving parts, too, as they probably corroded.
    Definitely try that first before putting any money into it. It may come back to life :)

Then, like Ian says, bring it to your living space and let that sucker dry out, but not too much.
    No storing guitars in attics or basements! Abrupt temperature changes and too much or little humidity are the enemies.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart