avatar cabinet for acoustic guitar?

vpolinenivpolineni Posts: 6
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking of selling my ampeg reverbrocket and buying a ceriatone 18 watt tmb head and an avatar vintage 2x12 cabinet with one Celestion G12H30 and a Celestion Alnico BLUE. Using a separate acoustic amp head, would the avatar cabinet work well with an acoustic guitar? I've seen some acoustic amp combos include tweeters and others don't. I talked to avatar and they said that combo would work well but I'd like to get others opinions as well. I know those two speakers will be great for electrics. On the flip side of the coin, why don't cabinets for electric amps include tweeters like acoustic amps have? would a cabinet with two 8" eminence drivers with two 1" tweeters be any good for electric?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Generally speaking...

There are acoustic amps, and electric amps, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

This is because acoustic amps are designed to be full-range amps capable of reproducing the full frequency spectrum, as if it was a very small version of a PA system. This is also true of keyboard amps and, to some degree, some bass amps. This is why acoustic amps typically have some sort of tweeter or high-range driver. There are some exceptions, like the old Trace Elliot stuff, where they use a full-range driver (the Trace amps used custom 4" speakers, I believe).

Now, an electric guitar is just about the crappiest audio signal, sonically speaking. Electric guitar amps are optomized to reproduce those frequencies only, a much narrower band than any acoustic amp. Also, guitar amps are designed to be much more "lo-fi" than a PA system, especially tube amps and any sort of distortion effect.

So, typical electric guitar amps will make an acoustic sound boxy and lo-fi, where an acoustic amp will make an electric sound sterile and uncomfortably bright and clean.

There is one exception to this general rule that I am aware of, and that's the Roland Jazz Chorus amps. Those sound great for CLEAN electric tones, and are very suitable (if not 100% ideal) for an acoustic amp.

The other option that's a little more odd is to use something like a Line 6 Pod for the electric and run both acoustic and electric into something like a JBL Eon powered PA speaker. The speaker is made as a full-range PA speaker, and a Pod is made to plug into a PA system (or recording system). Just throwing it out there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Seems like you need to decide what's more important, the electric tone or the acoustic tone. To me it's electric.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I completely agree. I was trying to combine both by having separate amp heads for acoustic and electric so the electronics weren't an issue-it was the cabinet itself. If a cabinet had tweeters along with the celestion drivers with a switch to bypass the tweeters when not using an acoustic, then that might be able to perform double duty. something like this:
    http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/stereocab.html