not a question about pedals, but what pedals to buy

vpolinenivpolineni Posts: 6
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey everyone,
long time pj fan, first time poster. I sold my digital effects unit and want to go analog. I have a guild s-100, fender jeff beck strat, and an ampeg r12r (50 watt tube amp with reverb). I thought of buying a carl martin quattro and having it as the base for my effects and supplementing it with anything else through its effects loop. It has compressor, 2 channel overdrive, chorus, and delay. here's a link to it:
http://www.carlmartin.com/manual%20quattro.htm
The other idea I have is to go with stomp-boxes and mix/match. If I go that route, do you have any recommendations? I can always save up for a hughes and kettner rotosphere.. haha. Ultimately I'd like to have the usual suspects-wah, overdrive, compression, overdrive/distortion, chorus/tremolo/flanger, delay, etc.

As far as what sound I'm going for, Mike is my biggest influence so I'd like to emulate his sound. Other influences outside of pj are stp, soundgarden, alice in chains, etc. I'd appreciate any input on this. thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vpolineni wrote:
    hey everyone,
    long time pj fan, first time poster. I sold my digital effects unit and want to go analog. I have a guild s-100, fender jeff beck strat, and an ampeg r12r (50 watt tube amp with reverb). I thought of buying a carl martin quattro and having it as the base for my effects and supplementing it with anything else through its effects loop. It has compressor, 2 channel overdrive, chorus, and delay. here's a link to it:
    http://www.carlmartin.com/manual%20quattro.htm
    The other idea I have is to go with stomp-boxes and mix/match. If I go that route, do you have any recommendations? I can always save up for a hughes and kettner rotosphere.. haha. Ultimately I'd like to have the usual suspects-wah, overdrive, compression, overdrive/distortion, chorus/tremolo/flanger, delay, etc.

As far as what sound I'm going for, Mike is my biggest influence so I'd like to emulate his sound. Other influences outside of pj are stp, soundgarden, alice in chains, etc. I'd appreciate any input on this. thanks.

Go with stompboxes. Ibanez TS-9 overdrive. Crybaby Wah. I have a DOD chorus, Boss TR-2 Tremolo, and Ibanez FL-9 Flange. I get a good "Mike" sound with the BOSS SD-1 Overdrive *modded*

I think this is covered in that sticky though. If not, it should be, haha.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Here's a PIC from one of click: Mike's Pedal Boards - if you're after his type of sound try these pedals.
    I'd recommend a Keeley Modified Boss BD-2 Blues Driver (it's the light blue one on the bottom).
    Mike also has a Keeley Modified Ibanez TS-9 (in green next to the BD-2).
    The BD-2 is more tube like in tone, while the TS-9 is more narrow and trebley.
    Here, read #7: click: Bob Keeley on the BD-2 & TS-9.
    Mike's DELAY & MODULATION pedals are the big Line-6 boxes on the far left.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • thanks for the input-much appreciated. I'll give the keeley modified bd-2 and ts-9 a try along with a dunlop crybaby. Sorry for the newbie question but what is the purpose of the rotosphere? Also, any recommendations or suggestions for other pedals to have in the lineup? (chorus, tremolo, flanger, octave, delay etc). thanks again.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The rotosphere is an excellent leslie speaker emulation device. A tube driven preamp that simulates a rotary speaker sound. the chorusy effect that he uses quite a bit is this effect. Boom has a real leslie top and bottom rotor on stage with him it's what creates that fantastic doppler effect that organs (specifically Hammond B3's) are known for.

He also uses several different modulations on the blue line 6 as well as probably some modulated delay on the green line 6. One of thier best models in the DL4 is the Memory Man a modulated delay

That's a reverb rocket I think if I remember correctly that Ampeg. I believe it's 6L6's in the power stage.

The TS9 (or some of maxons new excellent versions) is a nice pedal. I think you should also look into clean boosts when you are shopping, I always seem to use Tube Screamers as boosts anyway the BD2 (which is actually a flatter and less mid heavy OD is very good for this)

You could also look at other specific Clean Boosts while you're shopping there are so many good ones around.

Also many have had success with the Fulltone OCD.

I personally still love my barber Direct Drive, and for the heavier stuff before I traded them for my EGDM.... I used my Direct Drive into a Keeley Rat and I also had a Keeley BD2 for a while I used in the same application. Occasionally I used a Dyna Comp modded by Eric Shannon for a squashed boost.

Honestly though, a cleanly set fatish overdrive into the keeley rat is one of the best combos ever.

There are a variety of modded rats out at the time and I think I paid 105 for mine originally before Pro Co redid the circuit and made it cost more to mod.

Do seriously check out a 3 mode rat though from some one. The Mighty Mouse version of Keeley's is just a huge sounding versatile pedal. It did a tremendous boost in the middle position. Helps the amp sound nice and dirty provides a nice sustain for solos.

As for wah's so many are made by dunlop now. If you're going that route the 3 or 4 to look at closely are the Crybaby Classic, the Vox 847, the Budda Bud Wah, and the new Hendrix Wah. Essentially they are all fairly similar. You can go with a 535Q if you want the flexibility but most people find one setting and like RONCO set it and forget it.

Cheers, and welcome to the never ending quest.

Modulation is like gravy, should be used sparingly. You need to spend some time just listening to clips on Musicians Friend, or several other gear sites The Gear Page for one or Musictoyz.com, Tonefactor etc. Then if you can go to a store and try playing some it'll help you a lot, get the OD's and the distortions/fuzzes first, that's your meat and potatos.

As for octaves....I love em. I'm getting an Octron soon.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Octave, I have the BOSS OC2 and mike had one on his board for the Riot Act tour. I have the Ibanez FL9 Flange and Stone uses an Ibanez as well(though not the same model). The DOD Ice Box Chorus is pretty nice.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    What pickups does that Beck Strat have? Curious if they might be similar to the vintage ones that Mike uses.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    What pickups does that Beck Strat have? Curious if they might be similar to the vintage ones that Mike uses.

which Beck strat? At one time they were lace sensors...

Mikes are Original from 1959.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • the beck strat is from around 2002 or so.

Here's a general question for all of you. Is there a paticular reason why players choose to only use the clean channel on their amp? I personally love the dirty channel on my ampeg and don't see why I would replace it. With that said, I do see why an overdrive pedal could be used on top of that for leads. Just rambling here... curious to see what your thoughts are on this.

So far I'm thinking of a wah pedal, bd-2, ts-9 and a line6 dl4 and maybe a mm4 if I can find one used. Yeah that's basically copying mike verbatim but is that such a bad thing? haha (now if only I could copy his playing abilities...)
    vpolineni wrote:
    the beck strat is from around 2002 or so.

Here's a general question for all of you. Is there a paticular reason why players choose to only use the clean channel on their amp? I personally love the dirty channel on my ampeg and don't see why I would replace it. With that said, I do see why an overdrive pedal could be used on top of that for leads. Just rambling here... curious to see what your thoughts are on this.

So far I'm thinking of a wah pedal, bd-2, ts-9 and a line6 dl4 and maybe a mm4 if I can find one used. Yeah that's basically copying mike verbatim but is that such a bad thing? haha (now if only I could copy his playing abilities...)

it's all just tone man. no rights or wrongs well ok there are a lot of wrongs, but there are a lot of ways to get it right too. Tone, Character, Response, "Sag" Compression.. etc. all reasons to use a particular amp or amp channel OD/DIST tube type, wood, string, capacitor, etc.

All to get that sound from your head out through the speaker.

As Jimi once said as I paraphrase, trying to copy note for note will only make your mind start to wander.

No reason to try and get everything exactly right. Just play and tweek play and tweek and play some more try and find out what you can control and you'll start hearing things fall into place.

The 2002 Beck Strat should be gold gold double gold lace sensors now I believe they are dual coil ceramic noisless so they have a dummy coil to take out the hum. Fairly similar really. Bell like. I personally like the new SCN's too it just depends on what sound works for you in what wood etc.