Valve Jr question

ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've got the Epiphone Valve Jr combo.

On the back of the amp there are 3 input jacks that say "4 ohm, 8ohm and 16ohm) There is a cord running out of the amp and it's plugged into the 16ohm input.

what is this?

What happens if I take it out of the 16 and plug it in the 4? what happens if I plug that cable into a preamp of another amp?

Ultimately i was going to bypass the speaker in the combo and try to play it through the speaker in my deville or deluxe cab just to see what it sounded like but I don't know if that is what that cable is for or what? I'm confused, I don't want to blow anything up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    different impedances for different speaker combinations.

generally, you want to match the impedance of the amp to the impedance of the speaker or risk damaging the output transformer of the amp.

so, the valve jr. cab's speaker is 16 ohms so continue to use the 16 ohm output of the amp. (oh wait, combo, maybe it's still 16 ohms. i'll have to check. i have the head/cab version)

however, should you ever want to plug into some big marshall cabinet that's maybe 4 or 8 ohms or something, you have that option.

the speaker is probably soldered to the combo's speaker, right? the deluxe's speaker is 8ohm so run the cable from the deluxe's speaker to the 8 ohm of the valve jr. etc.